Getting a new car

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Getting a new car

Post by DexterPunk »

You also need back pressure though yeah? So an exhaust that moves more air, may also reduce some power? I don't know heaps about this stuff, but I assumed the cold air intake was less about volume (although that's also a part of it) and more about more dense air.

On my old car, I really only did it for a better sound/look to be perfectly honest. The minimal extra power and fuel economy were little bonuses. Having said that my old car is a long fucking way off a Golf R. :)

I somehow over looked that Giz planned on the ECU tune. How much does that cost? And is it similar to getting your mechanic to do a tune on your car? It is it more specific and considered 'a mod'?

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
petey

Post by petey »

The idea is to have an exhaust that creates a good vacuum and actually helps "suck" air from the engine, rather than thinking of it as something that is blown through to get rid of exhaust gases it is actually a useful tool at helping the engine "breathe".

So yes, you can go too big, you want big pipes with good flowing design from the headers at the engine, then slowly decreasing size towards the end of the exhaust system. As a very general rough rule. This is the most logical way of increasing efficiency.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

DexterPunk wrote:I somehow over looked that Giz planned on the ECU tune. How much does that cost? And is it similar to getting your mechanic to do a tune on your car? It is it more specific and considered 'a mod'?
A bit more than that:

http://goapr.com.au/products/ecu_upgrad ... hp-vw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On cars with turbos it's usually pretty easy to increase power with a few lines of code. It can even net better fuel economy than the standard tune. The manufacturer's tune will usually put the emphasis on longevity and lower emissions. If you don't care too much about those things then for a couple of grand you can have a whole lot more power.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Exhaust and retune on a turbo car will net you a decent pickup in power even on stock boost, and to the retune an adjustment to the stock boost to a safe level and there is heaps more power.

On an NA you need the correct header and exhaust combo to net the most gains.

Also remember every car delivered to Australia is usually tuned to an extremely safe level, even ECU tuning for a specific fuel type can see a decent gain for the cost and will also improve fuel consuption.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Not to mention the Golf R is detuned already coming to Australia compared to its outputs in cooler climes.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

The apr tunes are pretty expensive for what you get. I was going to get a custom from bps which is about 1k. this guy writes the code himself while the car is on the dyno! Guys are getting about 40kw with this tune and a CAI. Not to mention better fuel economy when driving normally, the cars tune is pretty rich from the factory!

As for the exhaust, I think I will get a Milltek. The exhaust won't give you much power, if you get a full system with a dump pipe you will get a big torque increase.

There were 3 other bog stock R's there on Saturday, two DSG and a manual. They all got 137kw - 139kw so we must of just got a little lucky. Everyone mentioned that they drove their cars hard from day one where as I really was really gentle and varied rev's while driving, like I might change down to 5th on the hwy for a minute.

Plan to do these mods sometime early next year however want to check out what they do to the cost of insurance first!
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Gizmo wrote:There were 3 other bog stock R's there on Saturday, two DSG and a manual. They all got 137kw - 139kw so we must of just got a little lucky. Everyone mentioned that they drove their cars hard from day one where as I really was really gentle and varied rev's while driving, like I might change down to 5th on the hwy for a minute.
That's the old school method of running an engine in and, by the looks of it, it definitely worked for you and your car!

:yes:
Steve
---
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Gizmo wrote: There were 3 other bog stock R's there on Saturday, two DSG and a manual. They all got 137kw - 139kw so we must of just got a little lucky. Everyone mentioned that they drove their cars hard from day one where as I really was really gentle and varied rev's while driving, like I might change down to 5th on the hwy for a minute.
Cool - your outputs are pretty impressive then! That's funny about how they were driven. On the OzRenaultSport forums, it's quite often the guys who have got ex-demo cars that have been thrashed that put out the big numbers.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yeah, interestingly I've heard a lot of times back in the days that the way you drive your car early on (after the first 1000k's or so) is the way it'll go later. I've no hard evidence, though, hehe.
But I've heard years and years back that modern cars don't really need any running in...all heresay mind you :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

I know when R's come off the procution line they get a brutal run in on the dyno. They run the car up to the rev limiter, hard braking. Holding gears in high revs. If the car dosn't produce within 2% of the quoted power output a new engine is put in.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Giz, Isn't that only on the ones then under perform?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
petey

Post by petey »

Gizmo wrote:I know when R's come off the procution line they get a brutal run in on the dyno. They run the car up to the rev limiter, hard braking. Holding gears in high revs. If the car dosn't produce within 2% of the quoted power output a new engine is put in.
wobblysauce wrote:Giz, Isn't that only on the ones then under perform?
Uh wut.

You didn't think he meant if they are 2% over the rated power now did you?
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

You never know some have been held back before to put into the limited editions.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Before

After

Shantell was driving the car at the time, thankfully she is ok. Her neck was sore for 3-4 days, but everything is ok now. At the end of a motorway off ramp there was a roundabout. She was stopped, the first car in line waiting for a break in traffic when BAM! hit from the rear by some idiot not paying attention coming off a f00ken motorway!

Most of the damage is cosmetic however the car just does not feel like it did before (I'm hoping it's just a wheel alignment to get that sorted). The bumper, boot, rear diffuser, rear parking sensors and rear reinforcement bar need replacing. I've had a look under the car and nothing major looks bent. Some how the exhaust didn't get touched. Quotes are about $7000-$7500. Thank fuck for insurance! Going to the assessing center Friday afternoon with the old :(
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

You really messed up her rear end.

That sucks mate, hope it's gets fixed real soon!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

That sucks big time dude. You're right, it probably won't feel the same to you again no matter how good the repair job. Fingers crossed it all works out.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Insurance has approved everything. Going into the Authorized Ferrari body shop on March 5th (Seeing as I'm not paying for it may as well do it right!)
Speed

Post by Speed »

That's an awesome car Giz, it must've been devastating to have it run into.
Hopefully it gets fixed as good as new. When they do fix it, some shots of it would be great. :)
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Can do :yes:
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Well I got the car back on Tuesday. They have done a fantastic job, expect for the colour match. The panels which were replaced have a yellow tinge to them rather than a crisp white. Going back on Tuesday to see what can be done about it.

Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

The car went back for 3 days and I have it again now. They did nothing to the paint because they said it met industry standards. I was fuming. I ripped the guy a new one, "Close enough, is not good enough". After leaving the body shop I went to a dealership and compared it against a new one and it was actually pretty close to my disbelief. So I'm going to call the guy on Monday to apologize.

Good news is the car drives 100% and feels as good as new. It's good to be back in a car with power again. I'm having a lot of fun dragging off HSV's at the local Traffic Light Grand Prix! :lol:

Some mods are in the pipeline also. I've just ordered some H&R Sport Springs. These are a progressive spring which is great because not losing ride quality is very important for me. Driving round normally you don't notice a difference over the stock springs, but once they have some load on them, the car is much more directional. Other mods will be an ECU Tune, Cold Air Intake and Dump Pipe. Looking at these within the next couple of months. A mate of mine has just started his own turning company so just wanting on him to finalize everything on his dump pipe.

The car is also going in for an overdue 30,000km service on Tuesday. VW quoted $560, BPS Autos quoted $180. So you know where I went :) James at BPS knows his shit!

I've also updated the boot screen on the media system;

Speed

Post by Speed »

Glad to hear that you have it back & you're happy with it.....always been a fan of Golfs.
Hope your mods go well.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Installed new springs today. This has totally transformed the car. Because they are a progressive spring I haven't lost any ride quality, in fact I would go as far as saying it is better! But my god, the car is soooo much more responsive now. It's MEGA on change of direction.

Front Springs, new is on the left.

Rear Springs, old is on the left

Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

More pictures

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Nice work dude! My new springs are progressive as well and they feel much better than the old ones. Although, part of that could be having dampers on the cars that aren't 200,000km old. :tilt: