Windows 10

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Enforcer-J

Re: Windows 10

Post by Enforcer-J »

What the hell was on a Commodore 64 and Amstrad cos thats where I started lol.
Big jump to 95 then bali copy of 98-XP-vista-XP-7-8.1-10 :D
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Started off with the DOS 3.0 I think. It may have been 2.0 and upgraded to 3.0. That was my first foray into computing.Then every DOS version since then. Was only a little tacker too! Every windows version as well except Windows 8-8.1. Used to boot into 3.11 from DOS to use MS Paint and then back into DOS for games.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

No love for Windows for Workgroups? Fucking solid OS.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I didn't really count DOS as it wasn't part of the windows franchise. But that's pretty much where I started. I used a Microbee at school when I was a kid as well, no idea what that ran on.

Forgot about 98SE. I ran that at one point as well.
Santaria

Re: RE: Re: Windows 10

Post by Santaria »

DexterPunk wrote:I didn't really count DOS as it wasn't part of the windows franchise. But that's pretty much where I started. I used a Microbee at school when I was a kid as well, no idea what that ran on.

Forgot about 98SE. I ran that at one point as well.
Cool! We had a Microbee at home! Many hours of Defender and Scavenger. My old man used to sit down for days punching in code for us kids to play games.

Sent from my Nexus 5
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

lol I played Lemonade stand.

And wtf... They are still in business?

http://www.microbeetechnology.com.au

I kind of want a Microbee coffee cup.
richo

Post by richo »

Amiga for lyf3 cuz.
[]D [] []v[] []D
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Oh I was not counting Commodore 64.. then upgraded the ram to make it 128.

norbs, I have looked at OS/2 but it was not my own OS, as with Mac stuff.. from Apple2 at school and teachers having no idea how to work them, loved the warewolf-vampire text adventure and Wizardry.

Never went Amiga.. Sega all day.. then made the switch to full PC gaming.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

richo wrote:Amiga for lyf3 cuz.
Amiga was well ahead of its time. I had an Amiga 1000 myself. VGA graphics and stereo sound when PC was still in the EGA and PC speaker world. Not sure how or why it didn't make it. Such a stream lined interface with low overheads. Perhaps not enough marketing?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Anyone know if I can build a fresh install of Windows 10 with my windows 8.1 cd key?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I remember when Windows Me was released. At the time I thought "how can this be anything but better than Windows 98se!". So I upgraded almost as soon as it was released. Then in that same week I went to a LAN Party... <insert pain here>

Lets just say that I ended up reinstalling Windows 98se at the LAN and spent more time dicking around than I did playing games.

I also never installed Windows XP on any of my main system (apart from inside a virtual machine). I stayed with Windows 2000 SP4 until I moved to Vista x64. The problem with Vista at the beginning was that most software expected to be run as an admin (thank you very much XP / shitty devs) and hardware manufacturers didn't prepare for the required driver updates (and they had a shit load of time before Vista was released to get this sorted). But because all of these things were fixed over the life of Vista, when Windows 7 was released everything went smoothly.

So just remember this, if Vista was never released, Windows 7 would have been considered a crap OS and had all the same issues.

PS XP can go suck a dick. :p

Edit: Installing Windows 10 now... http://www.techtimes.com/articles/72714 ... update.htm
Last edited by AstrO on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Not sure how the key/activation stuff works but you can download an iso here to do a clean install

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... ndows10ISO

I went 3.1 -> 95 -> 98 -> XP -> 7
Also Red Hat EL5 -> Mandrake -> Debian -> Gentoo -> Kubuntu -> Mint
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

DarrenM wrote:Not sure how the key/activation stuff works but you can download an iso here to do a clean install

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... ndows10ISO

I went 3.1 -> 95 -> 98 -> XP -> 7
Also Red Hat EL5 -> Mandrake -> Debian -> Gentoo -> Kubuntu -> Mint
*like* :yes:

Thanks Darren!
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I still havent received my downloads... anyone else in the same boat?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Make sure you do a custom install and disable all the surveillance crap. Seems all the stuff that wants to send your input/browser/contacts data to MS is still in there. Some were saying that stuff would only be in the beta.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Only a few major issues so far, but seem to be fixed now was the nVidia driver software was crashing people.

Just wondering how most here are going to go about the change.. No saved data and upgrade, clean install over the top of your OS drive, or clean install on a different drive and if you like it enough wipe the older install at a later date.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
hylas

Post by hylas »

Enforcer-J wrote:I still havent received my downloads... anyone else in the same boat?
Me either, still waiting for the download to kick off.

I tried to jump the queue last night and run the "Media Creation Tool" from M$. It gave me this awesome error message of "Something Happened" and then closed itself... However it did allow me to make an ISO of Win10Pro. So I've got the iso sitting here but don't have a Win10 Serial so that's not going anywhere anytime soon. I can't manually update because "Something Happened" :/ I guess I'm just going to wait it out for a bit.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Enforcer-J wrote:I still havent received my downloads... anyone else in the same boat?
You might have and not know it, there's a new directory in the root called $windows! or something like that where the background download goes, at last check mine is 6.7gb.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I did the ISO download aswell, i saw windows update downloading something for ages yesterday but nothing has come up. Doing the update this pc with the media creation tool now and its around 30% so guess i am having more luck than you
Hello :aussie:
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Using win10 after the cleaning the update trick.

And if you are not doing the custom install and upgrading, You can uncheck/turn off(8 or so options) that send your info to MS, if you do not click express install.

If you are having an nVidia issue, where it is not installing the package, you can manually install the driver in Device property's.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

richo

Post by richo »

Fuck it had to download it been looking at that update icon for too damn long! Watched a review of sorts on Tested.com and it looks like it could be a good thing .
[]D [] []v[] []D
richo

Post by richo »

What media did you fine chaps burn the image to? It's nearly 6.0 Gb so it's no going on a dvd..
[]D [] []v[] []D
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

You can put it on a spare USB thumb drive (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... nload-tool), or a dual layer DVD.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

DexterPunk wrote:lol I played Lemonade stand.

And wtf... They are still in business?

http://www.microbeetechnology.com.au

I kind of want a Microbee coffee cup.
Wow! That's some niche market happening there!

$15.00 seems reasonable for the coffee cup, lol
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

richo wrote:What media did you fine chaps burn the image to? It's nearly 6.0 Gb so it's no going on a dvd..
Ive downloaded it from MS site onto a USB.

Im guessing I have to wait for a key? My update icon says its ready to go and just waiting for my wave (basically)