Your cool photos.

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Swain OHaw

Re: Your cool photos.

Post by Swain OHaw »

Some from around and just outside of the town where I work ...
ImageSan Agustin de Guadalix by Owain Shaw Photo, on Flickr
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

Continuing my unintentional monopolisation of this thread ... a few from a trip down to Granada, including one stopped on the way ...
ImageGranada by Owain Shaw Photo, on Flickr

The House below the Alhambra ...

Also, in other news, I should be photographing Carlos Sainz next week ...
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Your a magician with the camera Swain . Beautiful shots :yes:
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Awesome shots again OS.

If you use Adobe camera raw, have a look into the graduated adjustment brush/tool thing. You can more precisely effect the areas of the photo. So for example you can ramp up clarity without giving the clouds or tops of mountains a halo.
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

I do a bit more brushing these days but still use some ancient Lightroom actions I created when less discerning ... contrast, clarity, etc. all whacked with a sledge hammer ... those clouds do look a bit gash now I actually bother to stop and look at them, before I'd only concentrated on the people's faces ... all the other pictures actually have some dodging/burning work done on them. Brushing away the clarity around the edges of the clouds would probably do it.

Picked up a film camera again now, just a Canonet 28 so automatic bar the focussing, but enjoying shooting it ... need to drop off some films, see if I'm still enjoying it when the results come back ...
Last edited by Swain OHaw on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Good stuff! I need to shoot some film one of these days. I have a hasselblad sitting at work. And even bought a roll of black and white (FP4+) for it. There's even a darkroom at work I can use. I was so excited about that when I started. Now I've been there over a year and I haven't done anything about it.

Hmmmmm I'm off to Central Australia soon. Perhaps I should take it there.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Developing B&W is so easy Dex. Well, the negs anyway. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

They sure are. :yes: :yes:

Once you get them loaded onto the damn reel that is :D Loading 4x5 double darks can be a pain in the arse too.
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

These are just cheap C41 colour ... I still haven't dropped any off at (anything resembling) a lab, now have five rolls sat there. Need to get something back from them before I (completely) lose interest again ...
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

A few weeks ago from Mount Stuart in Townsville.

Imageupload by Rots5, on Flickr

These are from my recent work trip to Toowoomba... all taken on the iPhone.

Departing Townsville

Mid Flight

Approach to Brisbane

ImageMurphy's Creek, Upper Lockyer by Rots5, on Flickr

Sunflower fields Willowvale
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Liking the sunflower. I wish I could find a good field of them near me.

We've got a 90% eclipse here on friday. I bought some astro solar filter paper stuff (equivalent to around ND16) to try and get some nice shots of it. One sheet, £30 :) I've got it sandwiched between two pieces of card with a whole cut in them that's the same size as my hood and then a curved bit of card to act as a sort of 'cup' for it to all sit nicely on the end of the lens.

Tried a really quick and nasty test this morning. ISO100, F8, 1/320th
Quite pleased with that!

ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
mole2k

Post by mole2k »

Looking forward to the eclipse shots Kev, Thats something i've never even contemplated shooting!

Here's a few recents off my phone, it needed a clear out for a climbing trip coming up on tuesday! Providing I don't drop it I'll hopefully have some interesting ones to show from there too!

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Nice Kev!! I've been wanting to get some solar filters happening for a while. Great result so far! Good luck with the eclipse.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

050315_1310.jpg
This photo was an idea I had about the two guys from the so-called "Bali 9" who are currently awaiting execution in Indonesia. I wondered what they would want for themselves and the clearest answer I could come up with was something like inner peace. I couldn't imagine anything worse than knowing you're about to be executed. I figured that the only way they're going to get that serenity is when it's all over but if they could make a grab for it, even only for a few moments, they would. It's a bit like a drowning man grasping at straws or someone dying of thirst. The picture was shot on the Gordon River in Tasmania, two days after they were transferred to Nusakambangan, the so-called "execution island". I found myself in these amazingly peaceful surroundings and it occurred to me how lucky I was to be there. Independently of the rights and wrongs of the process which is taking place, it seemed to express best what they and the others there might be thinking. The river, in an out of focus background, could be anywhere, including Indonesia. The choice of black and white is the starkness of the judicial process. The river is the passing of time and the hand is mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Great shot JD. It's definitely those moments when you're thankful for your health and try to appreciate where you are. I loved the gordon river.
Swain OHaw

Post by Swain OHaw »

Thanks for sharing JD, the shot, especially with the black and white and anonymous (in a good way, here) location really do help it tell the story. Good work.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Was pretty good here in Oxford.

A friend who works next door brought his telescope to work and I had a solar filter on my camera. Loads of people came to look at the gear and see the pictures we had. We gladly obliged and let them see it in safety on the live screen of the camera or with the special glasses we had.

I ended up with a nice series.

There was a little sunspot to the top left.

which was gradually eaten!

And then looked a bit like an eye on a big pacman looking to eat something in return :)

My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

My Flickr Stream
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Thanks guys.

Nice eclipse Kev.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Top stuff Kev. I was hoping you'd get some good shots. You can probably stabilise that sequence too.

At the last minute I decided to quickly set the camera up and leave it running on a time lapse. I haven't got a tripod so it was a pile of books and some blu-tac, and a hope that I had it pointing in the right direction.

The results were... rubbish. The sun is just in shot but almost nothing happens and it remains bright throughout. You can see the eclipse in the reflections off the dirt on our window, but the sun itself barely changes.

I'm surprised how little change there was to the light (on video and in real life) when almost the entire sun was obscured. We had blue skies here and it just got a little greyer. If I didn't have it streaming on YouTube I probably wouldn't have noticed.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Sweeeeet Kev!!
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I wrote a short blog article on the eclipse for work if you're interested.
http://wimmblog.com/2015/03/25/scientis ... artphones/
My Flickr Stream
mole2k

Post by mole2k »

Hiking into the Mournes with Slieve Lamagan looming on the horizon as we head to climb the slabs of granite to the summit!

2nd Pitch up, you can see the path by the tree's the distance where the first shot was taken

4th or 5th Pitch up

Topped out the 1st climb a few 100m to the summit now, slieve Donard in the background. unfortunately due to the other pair we were climbing with who had an epic about 4th pitch this was where our climbing for the day halted as we waited (and waited) for them to get sorted out.

Skip forward a few days and we're on the opposite side of the country in Donegal this time Cruit Island with just the two of us this time to get some proper amount of climbing in!

Here's a tree to balance out this climbing heavy post.
markus

Post by markus »

The local whitegoods distributor literally tried to burn down our house and we have been without an oven for a week now. Since home baked bread is superior to anything you can get locally I had to improvise using a steel pot and our fireplace.

(I did improvise trying to make baguettes using our Weber grill however they did not look good enough so no pictures :) )
Much cycling such kilometers.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Awesome snaps there mole.