The Presets

Post by DexterPunk »

everyone seems to like them lately.

i dont.
SE1Z

Re: The Presets

Post by SE1Z »

same... boring music.
my gf bought the album, i hate it. she loves it.
Steve
---
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I think they are great.. excellent live.

Great to see a new crop of top notch aussie dance (Presets, Pnau, Cut Copy) to go along with our top notch Hip Hop (Hilltop Hoods, Herd, Hermitude)
eek
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah i agree with pix. I been a presets fan for a long time. I think Beams was a more appealing album to me however as it was still borderline bedroom producer material, thats the kind of sound i like. Their latest offering is a lot heavier on production. But damn, how can you not like "my people", that song is insanely good.

I think really what are we are seeing in the last year or so is a lot of the grass roots electronica getting played, a lot of people don't know how to take it, especially when being brought up on commercialized crap ala Nick Skitz & the Venga Boys. I have not got into Cut Copy as much as i should, but what i have heard i liked, Pnau however are just awesome and always have been.

p.s. on the Presets latest single which the name eludes me.. lol, something city or something.. lol. Daniel Johns lends his vocals to the chorus, while neither party admit to it, its not hard to tell.
WizardHat

Post by WizardHat »

I don't really mind them.

Not a fan of that 'my people' song. gives me the shits.
The only thing we really need is a good tune, good view & a good brew.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Not a massive fan, saying that ive been listening (and buying) a shitload of oz hip hop of late. Go the Aussies!
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

Never heard of them.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I like em, not huge on the latest song, My People was awesome, saw them at the Daft Punk concert and that song went off.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Never heard of them. But having listened to a couple of their songs.... I am gonna say I rather like them. The have that 80s pop, feel running through their songs and its more "Dance" style works with my hatred of the "Oh look how deep and meaningfully my words are" songs everyone seems to do.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Listened to live at the wireless on one of my shifts the other night... awesome...

I'd pay to see em live...
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Personally, I can't stand it. I still need to be able to see people playing instruments to have any real interest. So, not for me.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Synthesizers aren't real instruments?
Archie

Post by Archie »

I like them. I really like the songs My People and Are You The One? Are You The One? is on the BMW ad, for those who don't know.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Hz-Lab wrote:p.s. on the Presets latest single which the name eludes me.. lol, something city or something.. lol. Daniel Johns lends his vocals to the chorus, while neither party admit to it, its not hard to tell.
This boys in love?

Fucking love that song. my people is awesome to, the rest of the album is okay, but those two songs stand out so much above the rest.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Hz-Lab wrote:Synthesizers aren't real instruments?
Not something that's interesting to watch :D Considering how much is done by loops etc. What I'm saying is how much I prefer it when I can see exactly how the notes/rythmn is being created. I know there is plenty of skill present in creating electronic music but it's really boring to watch. It's always the same - there's none of the nuances that a live guitar has with the way the notes are bent or use tremolo etc. Also I love the raw live sound - rather than the sound of a CD being played over a big PA. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

for the record, And you can argue this all you like, i could almost swear there is no more pre-recorded stuff in a presets show as there is in say umm, lets see, a Metallica Concert. They don't use drum machines, their is a live Drummer, they use synths yes, but not loops, they use a synth sequence maybe, but they still require activation by pushing keys and also chaning chords/notes accordingly.

To be honest, I would say that most Dance Acts would have more control and are responsible for the sound the crowd hears than most top level bands.

In saying this, i prefer the band sound and feel too, but I hate it when people discredit electronica acts with this same old bullshit argument.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Well, I didn't know that the Presets used a live drummer or that they don't use any loops. Still, standing in front of a stage keyboards are pretty boring - unless they use those awesome 80s keyboard guitars. :D

It's all a personal preference thing, of course - and my reasons for not liking it still stand. I'd rather see guitarists and bass players out front doing stuff that I can see the origin of the music. It's always cool to finally see a band live and say "oh, that's how they do that bit". But, horses for courses - it's music and people will like what they like. :tilt:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah thats right. Like i said, i prefer to see bands too.

But it is a bit of a common myth with electro artists. For example, One of my mates saw Sneaky Sound System and he was like "I never knew they were a band, i thought they were electronica" lol. A lot of Dance Acts these days don't do it all via Loops.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Hz-Lab wrote: A lot of Dance Acts these days don't do it all via Loops.
And quite a few "bands" use drum loops etc. For me its all music...
eek
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

pixelboy wrote:
Hz-Lab wrote: A lot of Dance Acts these days don't do it all via Loops.
And quite a few "bands" use drum loops etc. For me its all music...
my point exactly when i mentioned bands like metallica before. Ever wonder how in some live shows it sounds like a lot bigger noise than can come from just those on stage? its because they're are other tracks being played over the top.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

thats cuz metallica are money hungry grabasses :D

gets some punk rock into ya! that raw music created in front of your face with some real passion.

techno crap may as well be one dude sitting on stage at his computer as far as im concerned. load of rubbish... but hey thats just one persons oppinion... one that you will never sway with arguments of how talented they are or how much they actualy do on stage... just my 2c.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Punk fans are mainly blue fish who hover over the rockies holding hands and discussing maximum scrabble point scores with certain levels. It's probably wrong, but that's my opinion... lol

having said that, dammit, i'm quite the punk fan myself. Lets go hover... ha

Hmm. those punk guitarists though, holy crap, they are using Amplifiers, an electrical aid, and whats this? Pedals? you have got to be joking, something that alters a soundwave and projects a lie? no way, shit. Electric Guitar Players ARE NOT MUSICIANS! BANISH THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hz-Lab wrote:Punk fans are mainly blue fish who hover over the rockies holding hands and discussing maximum scrabble point scores with certain levels. It's probably wrong, but that's my opinion... lol
:eyepop: :rofl: :D
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

DexterPunk wrote:
Hz-Lab wrote:Punk fans are mainly blue fish who hover over the rockies holding hands and discussing maximum scrabble point scores with certain levels. It's probably wrong, but that's my opinion... lol
:eyepop: :rofl: :D
one can of mid strength beer man, honestly, old age is getting to me.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

i lol'd :D