no
23%
i'll wait and see what opinions are like first
29%

Total votes: 56

Sarsippius

Re: who's buying?

Post by Sarsippius »

Give it some time Grass, I ended up quite liking the Solstice, especially once you get into the advanced version.
It takes a little time to get accustomed to what iRacing is all about so all I can say is stick with it, keep practicing and get a few more races under the belt. I wasn't blown away when I first started but it's just gotten better and better.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yep, the rookie version is complete rubbish. The advanced feels much more natural, even it is still a crappy car. I haven't been in a Solstice now since week 3 of my rookie season. Skippy all the way!

The on-ice comment is a bit weird though - I've never had the car snap on me unless I've put a wheel off or something. I've certainly managed to loop it but could pretty much always tell why I had. The whole game has a very different feel to it than LFS though and it's come through in the times a bit - I was nowhere in LFS but am quite a bit more competitive in iRacing so it could all just come down to getting used to something different.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

I have to agree with Grass, almost everytime I've driven the Solstice its just snapped away at the rear at some random point in the race. Nothing has changed just all of a sudden I come into a corner and the rear end starts to kick around, as grass said usually you'd expect if the tyre's were going off it would be progressive as time went on so you knew that your tyres are going away.

For me the next 3 nights will decide if I buy past the original signup, the Mrs will be watching that US Dancing show so I'll be on the track deciding if I'll buy :)
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

9ra55h0ppaH wrote:It doesn't offer anything ground breaking for me, and the pricing in my opinion is absurd, i dont know of a game that could cost you almost $300 to play for a year, its double-dipping and extortion to me... especially when the immersion isnt really there for me.
Yep..... I did the month of play thing..........I really tried to like it,....... I even renewed for the following month thinking it would grow on me, but it didn't..... every time I played it I just felt so unrewarded and empty..........it offers nothing new and asks a premium price............ for me it also felt like chore to be there..........so much waiting........always waiting....... never knowing who and how many I would be racing......and then you get cleaned up on the first lap and its back to waiting all over again.

And there is no feeling of continuance...........all the sessions are broken up and disjointed, for something that is meant to be multiplayer I felt very lonely........just waiting......always waiting.

I think the final straw for me was finding out I'm stuck in Rookie for another 3 months because my rating wasn't high enough before the end of August .....wohoooo, great scam...... drag another 3 months of subscription out of me before I progress...well done.

Meehhh if I'm going to be paying a subscription then I better bloody be enjoying it, being bossed around and told what, where and when I can and cant race and then be be double shafted by having to pay more money as my 'reward for progress'.............no thanks.

My final opinion.................. unrewarding, over hyped and outrageously expensive, I canceled my subscription last week.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Oh well, as has always been said, "it's not for everyone". I didn't think it'd be for me but I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. No way would I be able to jump into rFactor or LFS anytime of day and have a 10 car field to race against in whatever series I pick. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

must be slow on the rFactor forums today...?! lol...

As Exar has pointed out, "it's not for everyone", but I sure am enjoying the divisional structure that sorts 60 drivers into fields of 10-14 drivers at 6:15am each morning with the Skippy series, definitely results in the best racing i've experienced.
balls & boobs. . .
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

Exar Kun wrote:Oh well, as has always been said, "it's not for everyone". I didn't think it'd be for me but I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. No way would I be able to jump into rFactor or LFS anytime of day and have a 10 car field to race against in whatever series I pick. :tilt:
The game is only a few months old, wait till it becomes as old as rF and LFS, i wont be suprised if iRacing have cut you off because they have some other big plan, and want more monies out of you! GTR3, rF2, and a new alpha version of LFS could be around by then! :lol:
Now with Added Flickr
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

wait until iRacing include prize money ;)
balls & boobs. . .
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

Yep......and most likely the registration fee you'll need to pay to sign up for the events offering the cash prizes. :D
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

What's interesting is you guys reporting a snappiness of the solstice, which I've never felt. I don't have too much solstice use under the belt, but it's a few days' worth at least.
Not that I've never lost the solstice by spinning, I certainly had. But it was never an out of place feeling, more of a natural progression of me overdriving it or doing some mistake with the pedals.

Can it be your pedals spiking or similar hw problem?

And yeah, it's certainly not for everyone. I've been baffled reading sterling's opinion, I simply can't understand how can you be waiting all the time - unless all you want is racing. You know the sessions, all you need is to plan a little, and pick which one you prefer. You can always alternate race/quali/TT sessions and be on the track nearly 100% of the time. It's good to practice with less pressure and less loss of SR in case of mistakes, too.

Maybe the reason you did not get forward (and thus seeing it as unrewarding) is that you've tried to race only and nothing else? The loss of SR seems to indicate this - and maybe you could not get the feel of the handling here, so you were struggling with driving it cleanly?

Edit; mind you I understand that in that situation of yours you're annoyed with it. Sorry to hear it. I'd be too. I just can't get how did you get there.
Last edited by ysu on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

I'm there, with bells on!
balls & boobs. . .
Speed

Post by Speed »

I smell a troll. :)

Sterling, you had 5 weeks to do 2 road races & get your SR over 3.0. A pretty easy task & common knowledge I would have thought.
Sorry you didn't realise. :(

The main attraction for me is definitely the stats side of things. I love seeing where I come in a championship out of a field of 3,000 or so.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Speed wrote:I smell a troll. :)

Sterling, you had 5 weeks to do 2 road races & get your SR over 3.0. A pretty easy task & common knowledge I would have thought.

The main attraction for me is definitely the stats side of things. I love seeing where I come in a championship out of a field of 3,000 or so.
Indeed. I'm loving doing a race and xoming back and seeing how I've faired against the other Aussies and overall. Just little increases in iRating and SR here and there. Trying to get the average inc points down is a big one too!
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Speed wrote:I smell a troll. :)

Took me 3 races, all wins though to get my road rating from 2.44 to 2.82..

But we all know Sterling loves his rFactor and nothing will ever come close
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

LOL, it's just like the official iRacing forums in here, someone says they don't like it, and there's a bunch of people ready to tell them that their opinion is wrong and they should do this or that to try and like it, why defend a service (which it is since you pay for it) which doesn't need defending? :rolleyes:
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

SHoNKY wrote:LOL, it's just like the official iRacing forums in here, someone says they don't like it, and there's a bunch of people ready to tell them that their opinion is wrong and they should do this or that to try and like it, why defend a service (which it is since you pay for it) which doesn't need defending? :rolleyes:
Since when you're supposed to shut the f* up just because you have a different opinion? Different can be negative and positive. Don't be a jerk, mate.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

ysu wrote:
SHoNKY wrote:LOL, it's just like the official iRacing forums in here, someone says they don't like it, and there's a bunch of people ready to tell them that their opinion is wrong and they should do this or that to try and like it, why defend a service (which it is since you pay for it) which doesn't need defending? :rolleyes:
Since when you're supposed to shut the f* up just because you have a different opinion? Different can be negative and positive. Don't be a jerk, mate.
LOL.. woah!!

:munch:
Speed

Post by Speed »

Everyone is indeed entitled to their own opinion & I don't care either way.

What I don't like is when someone who has had one road race in 7 weeks & has no knowledge of the absolute basics of the sim, coming into a forum where people are passionate, saying that they are constantly waiting for races & has such strong negative opinions. :nod:
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
funkdancer

Post by funkdancer »

I will probably just buy a year's subscription when my month is up.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Speed wrote:
Everyone is indeed entitled to their own opinion & I don't care either way.

What I don't like is when someone who has had one road race in 7 weeks & has no knowledge of the absolute basics of the sim, coming into a forum where people are passionate, saying that they are constantly waiting for races & has such strong negative opinions. :nod:

:yes:
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Speed wrote: ...someone who has had one road race in 7 weeks & has no knowledge of the absolute basics of the sim,...
Ahm...that'd be a LOL, I haven't checked his stats. After one race how can he possibly complain about his SR and especially about constant waiting....yeah that's a :lol:
wenmo

Post by wenmo »

Am i buying? put it this way, i was going to do a late entry in AAl oval tonight, but Iracing instead, and i think LFS was the best driving sim out until now :yes: I will just have to find time to do both. :vibes:
never had computers when i was a kid, so i am making up for it now!! Dont hit my car!
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

ROFL, go hard YSU, man your english cracks me up.. I reckon you would be a riot to be pissed with :D..

I think your a little off the mark Shonky. As much as sterls is entitled to not enjoy the sim, others are entitled to enjoy it. Each to their own and I don't think there is a problem with people saying that the other is crazy for not liking it, that happens. But if you go and sit in the Hawthorn supporters club in an Essendon Jumper you better be ready to hear a lot of opinions.

I never got into RF, it did nothing for me, I bought it, still own it but only used it a couple of times. I flogged LFS till I was tired of it and couldn't seem to find anyone to race on the odd occasion I felt like racing, it could only be leagues. That's probably what I like about iRacing. I know when the races are on each night after work, I can just step in, have a race then step back out... easy.

The price seems to be what people come back to a lot.. if you can't afford it then, that's bad luck. Some people choose to race rather than buy a carton. Each to their own. But as is said, if you come into the iRacing thread just to say how shit the games is, then expect people to disagree.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

My problem is not can I afford it (I'll just make some OT up and head into work to pay for it) but is it a good investment. I'm finding it hard to see why I should spend so much of my cash on a game?

I'm happy to pay a one off fee of $100-$150 for a game but I'd expect full content, etc, etc. The only thing holding me back is having to payout a stack of cash for extra cars and tracks. Sure its fun to have a burn and rewarding as hell when you finally get something right but I don't know if its enough fun for me to spend that money.

Edit: ysu never change mate your a blast to have on the forums!!!
GlenNovello

Post by GlenNovello »

Signed up for a year now that I have a new credit card. As far as value for money goes, its already given me more value than LFS, Race, and GTL combined, so I really don't mind paying $4 a week to enjoy myself. having to pay for the extra content feels a bit unfair, but in reality it adds up to maybe another $2 a week (you could spend alot more but wouldn't have the time to enjoy all of the cars and tracks properly in 1 year).