VTRacing's Rallying thread

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Scottie

Re: VTRacing at Rally SA

Post by Scottie »

That looks spectaculer! Such a good feeling seeing something the community has done to be created in the flesh!!!
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

What a morning!!!! :eyepop:

The test stage was within the Kersbrook Forrest which was only a 30min drive from home :)
I caught up with the blokes from VTracing at 8am and there was a pretty good turn out from the other entrants.
Spencer Lowndes (Lancer Evo IX), Eli Evans (WRX STi), Justin Dowel (Lancer Evo IX), Darren Windus (Fiesta S2000) were all present.
I think there was another WRX there but cant recall who it was.

Man the Fiesta S2000 is off its Image

Here some of the pics of Matt's Kersbrook test this morning.
Pitty my camera ran out 3/4 thru the morning but as it turned out i wouldn't have had the time to go any deeper into the stage where it got more twisty

Just off the trailer

Matt prepping for his first run by sucking down some V and a smoke :)

Go time!

One of the first runs for the morning, simulating a standing start.
The vinyl has copped a fair hammering from all the rocks lol.

Gettin Filthy!!!

Start chute.

Cresting the last set of corners. Looks like the tree got in the way but i asked Matt about it afterwards and he was no where near it lol.

At speed down the finish chute

Riding the suspension fairly hard thru one of the many dips.

One more at speed.

The morning went really well for the blokes at VTRacing.
Matt tried out a few pressure settings and felt quite comfortable with the car, despite a bit of a fuel surge issue and as the stage began to get chewed up it was time for me to go for a run :)
After signing my life away to the event organisers if Matt were to add us to the local wildlife i jumped into the navigators seat and was introduced to the trip computer.
Pretty cool bit of kit which displayed time, current speed & top speed :)

For the first of my 2 runs we did a standing start :D
What a nice introduction to his WRX, revs build, flames poping away, Baaarrrrrr all 4's clawing away off the line felt bloody awesome.

The stage was quite simple. 1 piece of road, chuck a U-Turn at the end and boot it back, 1 car at a time.

There was a nice relatively straight start/finish chute which led into a set of slight bends over a few crests which were taken at a little over 100kph. Really awesome to feel the car tipped into these corners with the rear kicking out! Then the next section was the fastest which looked like a fairly straight bit of road when i was taking pics but in the car it was worlds apart....

BIG solid gum trees only 1-5 feet from the roads edge which gave the road a slight tree chicane then up over a fairly large crest in the road. On the first loop the run thru the trees was over 100kph and leading up to the point where Matt had to lift for the crest with a medium right hander after it was just over 145kph. Now the stage got really interesting with some cool corners with stacks of undulation in the road and a small tiny creek crossing before the U-Turn and to run it in the reverse direction. The initial pass felt bloody awesome from where i was sitting. The car just handled the churned up stage really well and Matt wasn't scared of sinking his foot in it :)

The reverse section obviously started with the best portion of the road but as we joined the next section i remembered the fast straight over the crest and the BIG solid gum trees. :nod:
The run in the reverse section we topped out on both runs at 156kph before Matt had to negotiate the slight tree chicane in the road. Fuck that felt awesome the first time thru. :eyepop:

And the second :nod:

I tell ya its hard to describe how it feels when Matt tipped it into a corner and the rear kicks out into a nice slide. Absolutely fucking awesome just don't cut it :p

After my 2 runs the lads decided to call it a day and get started on the recce.
It turned out to be the best call of the morning because only 5-10 odd mins later two cars returned runs with their rear bumpers hanging loose as the stage was really getting eaten up at this point.

Matt's pretty handy behind the wheel thas for sure. Great driving today mate & thanks again :yes:

SamC wrote:I'll be there saturday night at the SS at angaston, We can't goto the normal rally stages? My mate rang up and they said something like 200 out of something people got to watch the normal stages or something, and that we could only goto the special stage at angaston which is on Friday and Saturday night. Dunno what the go is there.
Sam i have the details for the Mt Crawford forest stage off Matt for Saturday & Sunday (same stage, different times)
The stage has one hairpin really close to the main road, so if we park close by we can just track into the stage via the forest, well thats my plan :)

Ill post up all the details when i locate it all on Google Maps ;)

EDIT: High res will be posted once its uploaded.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Far out dude. Sounds like a hell of a lot of fun! Awesome pics too - love the one with the compressed suspension.

Best of luck to Matt for the upcoming rally proper. Wish I could be there, that's for sure. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

not only get to design it, but get to ride in it as well, tops. Good stuff guys.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Knappo, you gonna be there Sat night? if ya are i'll give ya a buzz for a catchup.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

hi this is mrs vt. matt told me to hop on and have a look at the pics. knappo thank you so much lambet looks so cool. i love it :yes:
once again thankyou to everyone
:teach:
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

only mrs vt again i love the photos from testing day dont tell matt but i wish i was there
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

helo mrs vt, hope your back is feeling better.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

VTRacing wrote:hi this is mrs vt. matt told me to hop on and have a look at the pics. knappo thank you so much lambet looks so cool. i love it :yes:
once again thankyou to everyone
Hi Mrs VT, and like woodsy says, I hope your back is better soon. Next time you speak to Mr VT, tell him he is King Pedant! :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

:D

Well done Knappo and VT, turned out great!
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

So knappo, what's the bigger thrill, going for a ride in the car or seeing your design on it?

Hello Mrs VT :D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Im glad you like the pics mrs vt :)

Yeah it was a ripper of a day.

Rain is forecast for the weekend.
Hertz ill probably be at the super special on Sat, sorta depends on when they finish up in the forest and what time ill need to be at the SS. Should be right tho.

Ive found the location for the Crawford stage so ill draw up some directions for yas.

First car is due;
Sat 13:26
Sun 11:03

EDIT:
Righteous wrote:So knappo, what's the bigger thrill, going for a ride in the car or seeing your design on it?
Sorta equals out, the design probably would take it tho because the ride only lasted so long... the designs stuck on the car and will be seen by many.
pab

Post by pab »

KNAPPO wrote:Sorta equals out, the design probably would take it tho because the ride only lasted so long... the designs stuck on the car and will be seen by many.
Not sure if you've had one of your designs on a real car before Knappo, if not what you'll probably find is that you really develop a bit of a sense of ownership of it, a real connection to it. One design in particular that I have done, I also lay the vinyl on it, and when I'm at the racing watching it I'm forever thinking "don't crash it"! :) When you have 15 or 20 hours of your time invested in putting the scheme on the car (not to mention all of the time to create the concept, and then the vector files for cutting the vinyl) and you know you have to start again if it has a bingle you have a similar feeling of connection to it that the pit crew has. You'll find it's an interesting experience watching it race on the weekend. I actually get quite nervous when "my car" is on the track :)
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Ive had designs on corporate cars and work vehicles when i was working in a signage shop and a few vans for a mates private business but this is my first race car. :)

But i know exactly where you are coming from about the sense of ownership and connection to it :nod:
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

Aaaaaaaaaaaawesome!!!!

poor arse url
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

GustoAU wrote:poor arse url
Yeah that was bound to happen with its location, even the Minor Planet logo gets fairly caked.
Before the car got filtyh Matt was asked a few times what ARSE was.... so i think he will be glad its going to be covered some of the time so he dosnt get asked so often :p
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

So who is going AND where and when will you be going? (Angaston Friday & Saturday, Forest Saturday & Sunday)

Angaston Friday Night:
  • ?
Angaston Saturday Night:
  • ?
Forest Saturday (& where?):
  • ?
Forest Sunday (& where?):
  • ?
Last edited by AstrO on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version [of Alien vs. Predator] for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices." Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I need to sus out the details for the super special. Mainly how much and what times Fri & Sat.

Ill be in the forrest Sat for sure (Ill make a post with all the details tonight or tomorrow due to LFSEA as i found it on Google Earth last night)

I want to go to the SS on Sat and possible on Friday (depends on what time it starts and how busy i am with work)

Sat i want to go to both ;)

EDIT: A few mre VTRacing pics can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/knappo/
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

hi guys only mrs vt (dani) here my back is alot better i would be down with matt but i start a new job monday if anyone sees matt can you please tell him from me and jarvis (the dog) have fun and that we love you
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

AstrO wrote: Angaston Friday Night:
  • ?
Angaston Saturday Night:
  • ?
Forest Saturday (& where?):
  • ?
Forest Sunday (& where?):
  • ?

Angaston Friday & Saturday Nights:
Angaston Super Special Stage, Angas Park, Angaston
Friday & Saturday nights 6pm to 9.30pm each night.
ADULTS: $10/night, $15 for both nights

http://www.rallysa.com.au/spectators/tickets.asp
http://www.rallysa.com.au/spectators/it ... -route.asp

Forest Saturday:
Mt Crawford Forest - 1st car due 13:26
Will have it all mapped on Google tonight (but it is located right near the Mt Crawford forest visitor center)

Forest Sunday:
Mt Crawford Forest - 1st car due 11:03
Will have it all mapped on Google tonight (but it is located right near the Mt Crawford forest visitor center)

I wont be able to make the Super Special tonight if its starting at 6pm as i get home at 5:30 and its about an hour drive.
Ill be in the forest 100% and will post the details TONIGHT, pm me if you are interested in meeting up b4 going onto the forest.

Saturday night's SS im 50/50 about atm, not too keen to see em on tarmac in full gravel trim. As VT said the SS will be a shit stage to see them at full tilt.

Forest FTW
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

i'll be at the SS on sat night, Maybe in the Forest earlier in the day, but doubtful. Looks like shitty weather ahead.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Hz-Lab wrote:i'll be at the SS on sat night, Maybe in the Forest earlier in the day, but doubtful. Looks like shitty weather ahead.
Drizabone FTW!

Im hoping it rains for Matt's sake. They would prefer it to be wet than dry and his tyres are a bloody soft compound as well.

One major advantage if its wet or damp they can send the cars a minute apart instead of 2-3 like in a normal dry event as there is no major dust issue ;)
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Any map updates Knappo?
"We will not be releasing a sanitised or cut down version [of Alien vs. Predator] for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices." Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Forest Saturday:
Mt Crawford Forest - 1st car due 13:26

Forest Sunday:
Mt Crawford Forest - 1st car due 11:03

Follow North East Rd (B10) into the hills, this road turns into the Adelaide to Mannum Rd. Stay on it and head for Birdwood.

The Google Earth example’s route sends you up the Little Para Road…
Stay on the Adelaide to Mannum Rd, it much more fun!
Main Nth Rd to Rally Stage.zip
Just before you enter Birdwood (1-2 kms out) the road will go left over a bridge then a long radius right.
After these corners you need to take the next left at Warren Road.
warren Rd turn off.jpg
Simply follow Warren Rd for a fair few kms. You will go past one junction to your left, Forreston Road and another just after it on the right at Cricks Mill Road.

Stay on Warren Rd and at this point you are almost there ;)
Follow the long straight, the next turn which is a right hander is where you want to stop and there is a nice sized gravel car park on the right shoulder of the right hand turn.
Almost there.jpg
Now if you look at the Google Earth screen the rally stage is that tight hairpin only meters from the carpark :)
Stage in relation to carparking.jpg
Hope this helps. Might pay to run thru route yourself in Google Maps or Google Earth to get an idea on the distance from Birdwood, up Warren Road to the stage. :yes:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

For the first time in Australian rallying history, sarally.com.au, in conjunction with Fernwood Estate and Subareck will be broadcasting all the action from this weekend’s Sprint Auto Parts Rally SA live through the internet.

All the action from the Super Special Stage at Angaston Oval will be brought direct to the internet with four cameras around the stage, broadcasted direct to the internet from 6:30pm Friday and Saturday.

In addition, throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday, vision from in-car cameras placed throughout the field will be delivered directly to sarally.com.au, allowing rally fans from around the world to follow all the action of the Australian and South Australian Rally Championship round.

For more information on Fernwood Estate & Subareck SARally.com.au TV and rallying in South Australia, visit http://www.sarally.com.au
Just found this. http://www.sarally.com.au :)

The new heading says they are experiencing difficulties but hopefully its up and running one the weekend.