iPhone

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

iPhone

Post by NeilPearson »

So Who has one?

I got one from telstra yesterday, its pretty good phone. the keyboard on txting is a pain in the arse to get used to but im getting it now.

the touch screen is pretty cool im loving it :D
Montey

Re: iPhone

Post by Montey »

Until it has bluetooth its completely out of the question for me.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

mms is the one i need, plus bluetooth. It seems the iPhone is a great gadget, and an ok phone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I hate touch screens. Give me something tactile any day.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Got one and really love it. Couldn't go back to the Nokias.

A quick example would be ordering a 1TB HDD from Umarts website. Completed on both phones. Or just the simple "wheres the bloody post office around here" - Open up Maps > Locate me from GPS and search for Post Office (bringing up a list of 10 or so shops). Bloody easy!

As for typing, i think its harder to start because once you see a mistake in the word your typing. I automatically stop and fix it up. This is where one of the best features of the iPhone is going to waste. Its not until you press on with a known mistake and it fixes it up for you. Then 2 thumbed typing becomes easy and bloody quick.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

i have a kickass new GPS for the car.. id much rather it a seperate device than in a phone.. but thats just me. iphones have poxy specs.. as i posted, that Neo kicks its butt and is open source... and half the price. Like most things apple.. its a more functional fashion statement than what its intended to do.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

w00dsy wrote:mms is the one i need, plus bluetooth. It seems the iPhone is a great gadget, and an ok phone.
u can get MMS for it, just need to hacks it ;)

wabbit i been watching this vid on mobileme seems pretty cool, dunno if its worth it as i have everything in hotmail. dont think u can assign hotmail to outlook anymore :(

http://www.apple.com/au/mobileme
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

NeilPearson wrote:Wabbit i been watching this vid on mobileme seems pretty cool, dunno if its worth it as i have everything in hotmail. dont think u can assign hotmail to outlook anymore :( http://www.apple.com/au/mobileme
MobileMe is very good bear in mind most of its features Google has aswell. I was thinking about MobileMe for when Lana & I move in together. For a 30 cents/day its bloody cheap for what you and others get out of it.

As for hotmail (free). I've got alittle free app that sends & receives for my hotmail account, which is one of my mail accounts in OS X Mail. I'm sure there'd be a way do get it working in Windows land.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

so what sort of email accounts are supported in the iPhone? Or does it have to be MobileMe? Cos that's pretty hefty at $99 a year. A free one would be better, like pop or gmail etc.
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

If I get an iPhone for free I'll use it, the only reason I have an iPod is that it was free :)

Don't know what the big deal with them are but on training a few weeks ago we managed to talk a Mac boy out of buying one!!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

w00dsy wrote:so what sort of email accounts are supported in the iPhone? Or does it have to be MobileMe? Cos that's pretty hefty at $99 a year. A free one would be better, like pop or gmail etc.
Its all supported. On mine i have TPG & Gmail sync'd. MobileMe hasn't got anything to do with the iPhone. Its the upgraded suite of online apps & services from the old .Mac days.
richo

Post by richo »

Love mine, does exactly what is says it would and is really very simple to use.With App Store and the like i can see much added functionality in the future.

I went back to my old Sony to grab my contacts and it felt ancient , i thought the touch screen would be a pain in the arse but its very responsive and pretty intuitive .

For me the marketing actually delivered the goods.
[]D [] []v[] []D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I signed up to mobileme today, with a free 60 day trial.

Its interesting, took forever to get it working as i wasnt sure if it was even working. couldnt get contacts to register or anything but eventually it got there and it seems interesting. Not sure if its really worth 99USD a year OR $119 as apple have worked it out to be, which according to xe.com its $101.54AUD....

I set it up to use my new bigpond.com email, and not the mobileme email that you get on signup, as i dont want another email not even with forwarding thats something i think is a pain in the arse with it. but with the iphone u can set it up to get email from one place and contacts etc from another. so all is good.

The video i posted above kept stating mobile me was instantanious, well its every 15 mins. which isnt the best. but atm i dont care, its free for 60 days!
doug99

Post by doug99 »

Take a lot to make me give up my Blackberry - but then it is a work tool not a toy :)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

doug99 wrote:but then it is a work tool not a toy :)
:rofl:
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

doug99 wrote:Take a lot to make me give up my Blackberry - but then it is a work tool not a toy :)
Plus work pay for it, if they pay for an iPhone I'd use that instead :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

i had a look at one the other day.. i may be coming around a bit on them.. i did like very much the way it displays websites.. my fone formats them all stupid and you have to scroll everywhere finding bits and peices of text etc. Id need to get off telstra to ever think about it.. which im stuck there for another good 12 months or so.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Well todays 4hr meeting went alittle differently. While trying to discuss base building actions, the Business Unit Manager (female) decided it would be best if we all listened to Robert Palmer - Addicted to Love (grabbing my phone off the desk). Now when i mean listen i really mean rock out, as she was doing some of the moves while sitting in the chair. Which of course sparked the whole "Can i have a go?" at lunch time while we were looking around the building site.

With all the above in mind, its one of the nicest things about this phone. Being that even people that haven't seen or used the phone before can jump right in and start.
DexterPunk wrote:i had a look at one the other day.. i may be coming around a bit on them.
I really think its best to watch the provided vids from Apples site and then jump on YouTube and watch the WWDC vids regarding the 1st & 2nd Gen iPhone. Theres just a bucket load of features or "smart" little things it does that aren't showen on Apple iPhone page. Then you'll have a better understanding if its what you want.
Montey wrote:Until it has bluetooth its completely out of the question for me.
Is that what you were meaning?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

one of my lecturers at uni has one and was giving us a demo..

as far as i know bluetooth works for syncing with devices and stuff.. but it wont do bluetooth file transfers.
Peptis

Post by Peptis »

Yeah, the iPhone has Bluetooth, but it doesn't support all the profiles.

DexterPunk: Have you tried using Opera Mini on your phone? I reckon the new version is pretty good.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

nah i havnt tryed installing a diff browser on my fone... just have the normal IE that comes with windows mobile.
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

Why not save yourself all that money and just buy an ipod touch, same functionality (practically), more space! Ok so you don't get 'everything in one package' or constant net access (3g) but its not that hard to find wifi ap's these days :p And its free traffic too! Yes I own a jailbroken touch...

I'm not 100% sure on how lenient the app store is going to be. A lot of functionality is already 'blocked' in the EULA for the SDK. Everyone says "theres gonna be an app for [insert missing feature]" but I wouldn't hold my breath. Most of the shit on the app store at the moment is garbage and/or overpriced. Now with winpwn / jail break finally out I'm sure plenty of people are going to starting look at the 3rd party stuff. I gotta admit there are a few diamonds in the rough out there but mostly garbage. You will find once you jail break the reliability of the device decreases very quickly and most apps crash / buggy. So either way you are screwed!

That said ScummVM + lucasarts games FTW - you don't need anything else!
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

ReppohC wrote:That said ScummVM + lucasarts games FTW - you don't need anything else!
Winamp to transfer your songs, so you don't have to use that piece of shit iTunes :yes:
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

r8response wrote:Winamp to transfer your songs, so you don't have to use that piece of shit iTunes :yes:
I know I hated using iTunes in windows. But now in OS X it's bloody so much easier to manage my music collection (which is sitting on a NAS).