Worth it?

iRacing
WizardHat

Worth it?

Post by WizardHat »

Hey guys.

Recently I've been growing more and more bored of LFS and have recently been looking into making the jump over to iRacing once it's released.

Though before I commit to the move i just thought i'd ask some of you guys who've already gone and tested the game about their opinions and whether or not they think it is worth the transition from LFS.

Probably a silly question, but anyway.

Let me know :)
The only thing we really need is a good tune, good view & a good brew.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: Worth it?

Post by Exar Kun »

If you're happy with spending that much money on a game then absolutely, it's totally worth it. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

To be honest most here were not happy spending that much on a game, just check the pre-release polls....and yet most of us (probably all who could afford it) stuck to it.
Is this enough info? :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

For me, yes most certainly worth it...
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

without a doubt, worth every cent if you can afford it.
balls & boobs. . .
WizardHat

Post by WizardHat »

Yeah, well the subscription cost isn't an issue.

Just looking for more seeing as LFS seems to be going downhill where opponent quality comes into play, lot of inconsiderate drivers all coming back out of their shells etc.

What's the online racing like at this stage?
The only thing we really need is a good tune, good view & a good brew.
wenmo

Post by wenmo »

This is well hell of a game :lol: Is it worth it? shit man sell your Grandma if you have to :yikes: sell your pushbike, car, skateboard whatever is not nailed down :yikes: :yummy:

Shit :yikes: by the way i'm still waiting for an invite like you so better not comment until then. :lol: :lol:
never had computers when i was a kid, so i am making up for it now!! Dont hit my car!
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

WizardHat wrote:Yeah, well the subscription cost isn't an issue.

Just looking for more seeing as LFS seems to be going downhill where opponent quality comes into play, lot of inconsiderate drivers all coming back out of their shells etc.

What's the online racing like at this stage?
You always get your idiot drivers but after stepping up from the rookie comps it's already evident how much cleaner the racing is. There will be accidents but most people are genuinely apologetic and you just have to get on with things.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I think that's the big difference, you will get an apology more times than not, rather than a stfu.

Last night I had a really fantastic late model race. I was following a guy for 30 odd laps with about 10 to go his tyres were going on him. I had a few attempts to get past.. finally managed to get by with about 3 laps to spare. Heart in the mouth kind of stuff but clean as a :whistle: the whole time. I just love the racing you get out of this sim.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

It's pretty clean. But having said all that I had 2 clean and 2 messy races in the skippy now; the season opener (1 idiot) and another race I've been rear-ended in T1. But both were quick and busy fields, and people were unnecessary slow in T1 up front. So yeah, there are still accidents, but the number of idiots per race are declining fast, about 0.5 at the moment according to my experience ;)

I think one or two levels up it'll be even better.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Personally for me, the community sucks balls, well, lack there of, and I'm yet to actually race anyone I know. I find it quite boring tbh. I'll check it out again when there's been a few tweaks and fixes in regards to the playability (Teams, racing mates etc etc) but as it sits right now, it's a blatant rip for the money I was paying and paid for me. Also apart from physics.... the graphics aren't that much better than any other sim. Physics are it's calling card, lack of community will kill it dead.

- San
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Whilst i love the point of view San, I dont agree.

Sure, I am really looking forward to racing some familiar people but I am also enjoying racing against peeps from all sorts of places and backgrounds.

The lack of 'community feel' is evident to me. Its very clinical at the moment. But there certainly is a community.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Lack of community in what way? There are too many posts for me to keep up with on the official forums and I read it too often already :)

You probably aren't finding many of us to race with because most of us had probably moved up to the Skip Barber and Late Model series.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

The community is what you make of it. I'm always racing against familiar faces, now, i'm not sure if that is because I have added everyone (ARSE) to my friends list or not, but the night's i'm racing, I see ARSE guys everytime.... I'm also, adding new faces from around the world, especially those that show great clean racing, and are not afraid to say g'day at the end of the race.
balls & boobs. . .
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yep, at the very least there's a couple of familiar faces in every race I join and as Darren said, the members forum is very active indeed. I too am spending too much time on there at the moment. :tilt:
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Yea i read those forums too... The "lack of community" i was referring to was its not as chatty as LFS was to me... i dunno, maybe its just me.

guess its just cuz i suck and dont have anyone i know to race with... but I seem to be racing against the same names every time i get on, good and bad... so I guess it is who you move up with...

pretty much fukd my chances at moving up anytime soon, whilst the solstice is great fun i just cant be racey with it and stay on track....

;)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

You've got 4 weeks to get your SR above 3.0, Sin. I'm sure you can do it. :tilt:
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Ultimately Wizard, i'd say its where everyone is at mainly now... that is guys who can drive...

i followed cuz I am a sheep... ha!

no, it is a good sim, if you have a decent rig to make it look pretty then so be it, but I am running it on what would be lower settings just to keep it real smooth and it feels great to me...

;)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Sin wrote:Yea i read those forums too... The "lack of community" i was referring to was its not as chatty as LFS was to me... i dunno, maybe its just me.

guess its just cuz i suck and dont have anyone i know to race with... but I seem to be racing against the same names every time i get on, good and bad... so I guess it is who you move up with...

pretty much fukd my chances at moving up anytime soon, whilst the solstice is great fun i just cant be racey with it and stay on track....
Nail on the head. Forums are for information in my eyes and the occasional troll. I like LFS's chatty nature and the fact that basically no matter where you go you run into someone you know. iRacing for me is different. It's not as chatty, every time I jump on there's only been a grid of 6 or so, so fucks me where you guys are racing each other all the time but i don't think I've seen any of you. Teams need to be implemented, options to get on the same server as your mates also needs to be implemented. As it stands for me, iRacing is a yawn fest with no real "feel" to it. As someone suggested, clinical even.

I like iRacing, the physics, the tracks and the rules system. Graphics are ho-hum and nothing special for the hardware it needs (have an awesome system, so everything flat out for me and I'm still rather "meh" with graphics), netcode is a bit iffy at present and the fact I doubt I've seen any of you over shadows its good points. But again, that's my opinion and I do think that once the 'physics' aspect of the game wear off it won't be as popular as the ones who are genuinely interested suggest it will be.

As a long time MMO player of many different titles, I also feel there's alot of fanboi'ism in regards to iRacing and it over shadows a genuine look at it in my opinion. I still feel $20 a month and track/car purchases are expensive (remember MMO player here, the sub doesn't worry me, the extra content purchase does) and fair enough to say: "They'll fix the pricing structure" which is too bad for people who have already paid for the extra. Can't see them getting there money back.

Don't get me wrong, it does bring some awesome aspects to the table, but no where near enough to warrant the cost.

Think of the post what you will, I probably will come back to iRacing at a later date, maybe tomorrow, maybe next year. As it sits right now, it's not worth the money outlaid to pay for 'Beta'.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Can I ask, san, what part of the netcode is "iffy" ?
It's up to you if you like the sim or not, but I think you're wrong on that point - but pls enlighten us where it's wrong?

by the way I've had many races with people from the list as well. Not all, but certainly many.

And yeah, I may be a fanboy at the moment, and that's due to the fact that this sim delivers something - a few things - to me, no other had. ;)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Exar Kun wrote:You've got 4 weeks to get your SR above 3.0, Sin. I'm sure you can do it. :tilt:
Hmmm, i was under the understanding that licenses will only upgrade at the end of "Normal" Seasons i.e. the 12 weekers. Not the 4 week rookie series. It doesnt matter that much anyway cos once they are at 4.0 they can run late model and Skippies. But that's just how i followed it.

Am i wrong?

*EDIT* Oh, and it's totally worth it. I have had some of the best sim racing moments in this game, and it just keeps getting better. Last Saturday when we were getting 40 car fields at Lowes, holy crap, intensity Plus. I feel there are quite a few people turning a cold shoulder on the game after only trying for a few days. When really, the game really excels as you advance. The higher the class i run in the better the racing, and i feel it will continue that way.

This is the one Sim i have ever bought and been completely happy with out of the box ummm...eh... internets.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Not sure what San's problem with the netcode is, but for me I copped the occasional penalty for contact with another car when half a car length away or more, happened often enough for me to call it a bug in the short time I played iRacing.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

SHoNKY wrote:Not sure what San's problem with the netcode is, but for me I copped the occasional penalty for contact with another car when half a car length away or more, happened often enough for me to call it a bug in the short time I played iRacing.
That's the problem in the netcode... I thought it was common knowledge. Read it more than a few times on the forums.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

SHoNKY wrote:Not sure what San's problem with the netcode is, but for me I copped the occasional penalty for contact with another car when half a car length away or more, happened often enough for me to call it a bug in the short time I played iRacing.

Yeah i got stung by this in a skippy race on Sunday.
It was a clean as a whistle race till some bloke chucked a late braking banzi on me with a few laps to go.
I saw him coming and moved aside to give him some space, next thing i knew was i saw x0 for contact then x4 as he spun out :rolleyes:

I was fine and didn't loose the car at all and when i watched the replay back he was close but no contact was made between us from my end.
I just thought it was lag and that he was a wanker for pulling such a desperate move.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

KNAPPO wrote:

Yeah i got stung by this in a skippy race on Sunday.
It was a clean as a whistle race till some bloke chucked a late braking banzi on me with a few laps to go.
I saw him coming and moved aside to give him some space, next thing i knew was i saw x0 for contact then x4 as he spun out :rolleyes:

I was fine and didn't loose the car at all and when i watched the replay back he was close but no contact was made between us from my end.
I just thought it was lag and that he was a wanker for pulling such a desperate move.
Hm...reading this the netcode was more than up to the task.
I've no idea how a half a second gap (500ms) between two people could be solved any other, better way - apart from regional servers.
(I'm just saying 500ms to get a feel for what's it like when it's pretty bad - could have been less, but in close racing 300ms could be an issue already)

But imaging racing an euro bastid - he's got 300ms lag, you got 300ms, so by the time you get his position it's 600ms! The server can resolve issues by the 300ms lag, but resolving them all based on what's on the server could have lead you punted off when there was no-one on your screen at that position. In this regard this was an excellent solution; the only issue being that you got stung by the 4 points as well, which I'd say is a minor inconvenience compared to being totally rear-ended...

If there's any problem here, that is the lack of regional servers, I'll agree to that. But I'd say it's the best damn netcode I've seen so far.