Whitegoods help in here....

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
Santaria

Re: Whitegoods help in here....

Post by Santaria »

Bauer wrote:Ah the whitegoods helpline is open

My dishlex dishwasher starts then goes to a flashing mode after a short time. It is the fast light that flashes. Research says it is an inlet issue. The inlet filter is clear, the inlet hose is clear and a little white box I read about that fills with crap was crap less.

Any thoughts or do I go buy a new one?
It could be 2 things Baz:

1. Inlet solenoid is cactus
2. Main PCB is cactus.

I'll need to know the model to be able to give you a proper idea. If it's the solenoid, they're piss easy to change but you will have to near half dismantle the outer casing to get there an it'll be around $45-$60 for the part. If it's a main PCB (that's what I'm guessing) they're really easy to change (just unplug and plug back in after undoing the front panel) and depending on your model, starts at around $150 for the Dishlex's.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

right...
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

It's a Wobblebot!
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
kells

Post by kells »

I need help please .I have a fisher and paykel E442B fridge.My auto defroster burnt out.It burnt out the connection to my fridge as well.There are these little silver ends that are on the end of the wire and clip in the plug .Where do i find these? Arghhhhhh.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

kells wrote:I need help please .I have a fisher and paykel E442B fridge.My auto defroster burnt out.It burnt out the connection to my fridge as well.There are these little silver ends that are on the end of the wire and clip in the plug .Where do i find these? Arghhhhhh.
I don't really understand what you mean, sorry. You mean the power plug is burnt out and now it is stuck in defrost? Can you explain what actually has happened?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

First post?
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Wobbly relative?
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

AstrO wrote:First post?
I thought it was a spambot but it's an aussie IP.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Big Kev wrote:
AstrO wrote:First post?
I thought it was a spambot but it's an aussie IP.
So it is a sunspot instead... ?
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Santa help!

I have a Whirlpool fridge, medium size, about 8 years old or so. About a year ago it started to freeze things in the main fridge. I haven't taken much notice as it's been a second fridge but now I'd like to use it as my main fridge. It doesn't freeze things immediately but over a couple of days and changing the thermostat only takes it from this situation to freezing things immediately. Do you think it's worth getting someone to look at it? It's not really big enough so we'll need to replace it eventually but wanted to get away with it for now if it wasn't going to cost too much to keep going.

Cheers :)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Vilante wrote:Santa help!

I have a Whirlpool fridge, medium size, about 8 years old or so. About a year ago it started to freeze things in the main fridge. I haven't taken much notice as it's been a second fridge but now I'd like to use it as my main fridge. It doesn't freeze things immediately but over a couple of days and changing the thermostat only takes it from this situation to freezing things immediately. Do you think it's worth getting someone to look at it? It's not really big enough so we'll need to replace it eventually but wanted to get away with it for now if it wasn't going to cost too much to keep going.

Cheers :)
Electronic or manual control on the thermostat mate?

P.s. Had a brainstorm with the oldman: If it's a side-by-side, then there's a flap that separates the 2 compartments (most likely) and that could be jambed open. If it's a Freezer on top/bottom, there may very well still be a flap between them (being a W/Pool) failing that, either the motor FOR the flap (if it exists) is dead, or the thermostat is faulty.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

It's manual control. I'll check that a bit later and let you know. I thought if it was the thermostat it would have burnt the motor out as it would just be one all the time but the compressor seems to cut in and out. Thanks heaps mate :)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Vilante wrote:It's manual control. I'll check that a bit later and let you know. I thought if it was the thermostat it would have burnt the motor out as it would just be one all the time but the compressor seems to cut in and out. Thanks heaps mate :)
Thermostat controls how often the fan from the freezer is on, as well as the motor. Try a new thermostat and make sure you get the hour type right. There's 6/8/12/16's available.
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

Oh Oracle of white-goods and appliances...

Im about to start renovating my first house, and im in the process of buying an oven and cooktop, any brands worth looking out for? im on a bit of a budget and found some ceramic cooktops & Ovens from Chef & Westinghouse... any particular features that are worth looking for? :)

While im at it, any air-conditioning brands worth looking at as well? im only after a small one, around 1.5kW... i want to avoid a daikin one, as the service for them around here is pretty hopeless :(
Now with Added Flickr
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

9ra55h0ppaH wrote:Oh Oracle of white-goods and appliances...

Im about to start renovating my first house, and im in the process of buying an oven and cooktop, any brands worth looking out for? im on a bit of a budget and found some ceramic cooktops & Ovens from Chef & Westinghouse... any particular features that are worth looking for? :)

While im at it, any air-conditioning brands worth looking at as well? im only after a small one, around 1.5kW... i want to avoid a daikin one, as the service for them around here is pretty hopeless :(
Check for repair agents before buying something. Westinghouse are a god brand, Chef I thought were still rather expensive. A/C wise, depends on your budget. TCL are cheap and for the most part work really well, but repair agents are few and far between from memory.
kaz777cars

Post by kaz777cars »

Can anyone help me with my 519l FISHER & PAYKEL upside down fridge it's around 5 years old and looks like new, I only just brought it yesterday it got nice and cold when I was looking at it but it only worked for a couple of hours when I got it home now it keeps tripping the cut out switch on the house, I thought I might throw it out there and see if Santa or some one else might know why it's doing it before I go and fork out any $$$.......any help would be appreciated.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

haha this thread must be pretty high up on google searches for whitegoods or something :) I think its the greatest source of new ARSES
kaz777cars

Post by kaz777cars »

Yes it must be it was on the first page when I goggled it, wouldn't believe it rang Fisher & Paykel they couldn't come out to have a look on a Sunday so they said try a different power socket and it's been running for a few hours fingers crossed it might be the socket?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

kaz777cars wrote:Yes it must be it was on the first page when I goggled it, wouldn't believe it rang Fisher & Paykel they couldn't come out to have a look on a Sunday so they said try a different power socket and it's been running for a few hours fingers crossed it might be the socket?
It'll be the defrost element. It's more than likely, faulty. That's why it runs great for 5-6 hours then cuts out the power. F&P use contractors to do their work, not someone they employ themselves. You could get a sparky out to have a look at it, but you'll be paying double time.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Hey Santaria,

Ive got a Kelvinator Twin Air / No Frost 380 Upside down fridge and suddenly about a month ago its started to leak water out the bottom and the freezer is filling up with ice in the bottom, I pull it out in sheets.. once ive managed to get the lower freezer drawer out..

I havent adjusted the thermostat at all.. the seals appear to be good..

Any ideas?
eek
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

pixelboy wrote:Hey Santaria,

Ive got a Kelvinator Twin Air / No Frost 380 Upside down fridge and suddenly about a month ago its started to leak water out the bottom and the freezer is filling up with ice in the bottom, I pull it out in sheets.. once ive managed to get the lower freezer drawer out..

I havent adjusted the thermostat at all.. the seals appear to be good..

Any ideas?
All freezers leak water when they go into a defrost, the water then drains down into a tray, then through a drain tube, then sits on a reservoir on the motor which then evaporates with the motor heat. What's more than likely happening is the drain is blocked. It is doable as a DIY job, you just gotta get the backing off from inside the freezer (depending on the model, may even clip in, but most likely have a few screws) and make sure the drain isn't blocked. Also check the seals over and make sure it's got some suction when the door is closed. Easy way to test is when opening the door, a little bit of effort is needed for it to open and the nice "thud" sound is there when it's shutting.
kaz777cars

Post by kaz777cars »

Thanks santa I will get one out tomorrow and let you know how it went as it has just tripped the power again!
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Thanks dude..

I've taken out the screws but its stuck with a big chunk of ice down the bottom in what I assume is the first tray..

Need to get that defrosted before I can go further.. will have to wait as I cant just turn the thing off :(

I think you've nailed the problem! :yes: :yes:

Thanks again..
Santaria wrote: All freezers leak water when they go into a defrost, the water then drains down into a tray, then through a drain tube, then sits on a reservoir on the motor which then evaporates with the motor heat. What's more than likely happening is the drain is blocked. It is doable as a DIY job, you just gotta get the backing off from inside the freezer (depending on the model, may even clip in, but most likely have a few screws) and make sure the drain isn't blocked. Also check the seals over and make sure it's got some suction when the door is closed. Easy way to test is when opening the door, a little bit of effort is needed for it to open and the nice "thud" sound is there when it's shutting.
eek
kaz777cars

Post by kaz777cars »

The fridge tec came out the other day and disconnected the defrost element until he comes back with a new one so Santa you were spot on again, thanks mate.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

kaz777cars wrote:The fridge tec came out the other day and disconnected the defrost element until he comes back with a new one so Santa you were spot on again, thanks mate.
That's why I get paid the big bucks to work in the Child Protection sector.... wait... what?