iTruck racing thread

iRacing
Bauer

iTruck racing thread

Post by Bauer »

so - those that have it, how did you go at Daytona?

I had 3 races. The first ran the final 40 odd laps under green, finished 7th I think

The 2nd, early today I finished down the order but my claim to fame was while leading the high lane, I got loose (tap or not Im not sure) and took out half the field including Nim Cross Jr :D

The last, also today, I finished 3rd. Top result considering I copped 28 SR points. LOL I take the blame for 7 points, was involved in a few more and was simply wrong place wrong time for the others. Was 5th as we got the white flag but the top 4 got a little argy bargy and I avoided that big one to claim a podium.
--------------
Stu
DarrenM

Re: iTruck racing thread

Post by DarrenM »

I bought it so that I could get a discount on Barber and Sebring but I haven't turned a single lap in it yet. Too scared from what I've been reading in the forum. I might give it a spin tomorrow, because I'm not all that hopeful of getting a Radical race.
Tim Wheatley
Face like a pie
Face like a pie

Post by Tim Wheatley »

DarrenM wrote:I bought it so that I could get a discount on Barber and Sebring but I haven't turned a single lap in it yet. Too scared from what I've been reading in the forum. I might give it a spin tomorrow, because I'm not all that hopeful of getting a Radical race.
I've had two races (haven't had time for more), I got a car contact in each. One time I drove under another car that was in the air and another someone spun, caused a wreck and as I was driving by I just clipped him and spun. I had to reset after both, so it was a warranted car contact penalty. I have gained SR in both races.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

DarrenM wrote: Too scared from what I've been reading in the forum.
fun outweighed sr feaR for me but i know what you mean

i was at d class 4.99 at the close of season 3. im now at c class 3.05 :)
--------------
Stu
Tim Wheatley
Face like a pie
Face like a pie

Post by Tim Wheatley »

Bauer wrote:

Your SR goes down anyway when promoted. What were you at the start of this season?
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I posted in the main thread after my one race last week, 23 incident points, only one 4x marginally my fault and lost 0.55 on my SR and 0.05 off my road SR. On the bright side I was able to avoid any major damage and didn't need to reset, with all the carnage I ended up in the final pack of about six for the final 10 laps which were all green. Even being my first race ever in the draft I worked my way up to second and scored 130 odd points.
Honestly at this point the SR system just isn't working on the super speedway, maybe once people settle down it will be ok but all my incidents were either being clipped by a flying or spinning car or some idiot who doesn't know to lift the throttle occasionally, tapping me from behind, giving me a 0x->4x when they then spin and collect someone else.
I could be wrong but my theory is many people skipped the LM, did just enough to get their C license and then jumped straight into the truck, all excited and way too aggressive. Personally I think the license progression is way too easy, four races is sfa, the SR requirement does make up for that a bit but I think something like at least 6 counted weeks in the championship is more appropriate. that ensures people actually have to have a decent go in each car. The fact you can just run four TT's over 12 weeks to progress is a joke. Anyway I digress.

This week at Milwaukee will be interesting, controlling the truck on a track like this makes the LM seem like a pussy cat in comparison. I'm struggling a bit at the moment to get up to speed, I've done one 31.2xx but am generally around the 31.4xx-31.5xx mark which I can maintain for quite a few laps so I might be ok in the race. I think I'll just have to put in a fair bit of practice to get to grips with the car overall. Honestly, Daytona is a piss easy track to drive (even in the draft) and teaches you little about controlling this beast.
I'll be back to my usual saturday morning race at the end of the week when everyone has settled into a track.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Tim Wheatley wrote:
Bauer wrote:

Your SR goes down anyway when promoted. What were you at the start of this season?
The SR drop wasnt that drastic LOL I did drop to 3.8 when the license upgrade went through so I only dropped .75 this week

I do however have a few weeks to get it back up cos its not like we race at Daytona every week :D but in the immortal words of Arnie, Ill be back

loving Daytona despite the SR hit. Really someone of my ability shouldnt be racing C class anyway. Its not like I have earned my stripes in the Late Models (but I am planning on doing the full LM series this time) and though I have done shit loads of NR2003 races over the years and think Im capable, Im as much of a danger to everyone elses SR as they are to mine. Especially at a track where rubbins racing, bump drafting happens and the big one is inevitable.
In some ways, the SR risk is what makes it even better. It adds the element of self preservation that is missing from pickup or even league races. :yes:
--------------
Stu
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

ha i droped like 2.5, so u havent lose much compared to me.

1.25 i think for ovals :\
Tim Wheatley
Face like a pie
Face like a pie

Post by Tim Wheatley »

NeilPearson wrote:ha i droped like 2.5, so u havent lose much compared to me.

1.25 i think for ovals :\
I wonder if you guys are suffering more because of your relative ping compared to the rest of the membership. :( I've gained in every Truck race I have run. I know they have started to research pings around the world just recently to see where they could locate a server farm to help (they're sending a laptop to locations to have it connect directly and test), I just hope you guys stick with it through this period.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I know a few incidents have been caused by lag, which probably gives me 30 of the 10 billion incident points i acquired this week, others was just really bad driving. alot of people got loose off the apron and slamed up into the pack, taking me out, i get one guy who kept jumping the restarts, and then i would just slingshot around him, then he just wrecks me mid corner, (the video i posted on youtube in the iracing chat thread). another time this guy is getting pissed off because he thinks we are a gang... well i was 3rd, and the leader and myself were trying to get me around him, and he deliberatly slamed me 4 times or so on the last lap, and even deliberatly smacked into the winner on the cool down laps. should have reported that one.

I am also on probabtion now, for telling a guy he is the worst driver i ever seen, after he had wrecked a few people and just would not chose a lane. he wrecked me cos he kept going low in the corners then high down the straights, so i made him stay up high in the corners by backing out of it, and he wrecked me cos he just went low anyway. and im on probabtion. :\ I think the problem is alot of people arent good at superspeedways they think its just race race race and get the positions as quick as you can and what not, when its nothing like that at all.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I'm sure ping doesn't help, especially with the high speed on the super speedway but as Neil says it seemed to me to be inexperience and bad driving causing most of the problems. In my race some guys spun ahead of me on the restart, that's just plain silliness.
My ping is always around the 300-350 mark but my connection quality is always good, if ever I have any issues it seems to only be specific cars blinking in and out which I figure is more their connection than mine. The first 15 laps of my race was green, very tight and fast but cars didn't seem to act out of the ordinary. The main issue I had was a car ahead riding up into the wall, slowing down and then reappearing back up ahead which happened about 3 times but I'm not sure if was the same car each time.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

I think I'm finally getting the hang of the truck around Milwaukee, I think I've been trying to drive it like the LM which doesn't have anywhere near the power, you can plant it without much worry out of most turns, a little feathering is usually all that's necessary on some.
I was rotating the car too early and needing to turn the car too much on the exit, so I'd be riding the edge of control all the way out and end up looping it pretty regularly. Now I'm driving it in deeper and trailing the brake deeper into the corner, diamonding it a touch higher and rotating the car later so that on exit it's much more of a straight line. I can now put the power down much more easily, often just planting it pretty much flat all the way out.
I'm still not real fast but I can do low 31's consistently deep into a run, I'm also not constantly worrying about looping it round like I was before. It's always nice when you make these little breakthroughs :)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

well I dont own Milwaukee or Phoenix so I have had a couple of weeks away from the truck.

How have you guys been going on the shorter tracks? Ill be back at Bristol next week LOL
--------------
Stu
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Milwaulkee Sucks COCK.

Phoenix is pretty sweet, i got it today. And funnily enough, a Milwaulkee set works really well at phoenix!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

just had my 1st truck race, Wow, so much better with yellows, although we had most of lap 60 to 110 under caution, bit frustrating. I went a lap down early due to a little spin.. woops.. hehe. About half way thru the race i found my feet though and was putting in good times. Still could do with a set though apart from the Milwaukee one.

Couple of weird things happened though, one time i was let down on the lower line for a restart, it said don't pass the leader, i didn't, in fact i eased off enough that the guy in 2nd even got a nose on me over the line once it went green, but somehow i got a black flag for passing the leader. lame.

Also got a black flag for passing under yellow when darting down into pits, and again i didn't pass the guy in front, he was well in front of me before i even got to pits.. weird.

Good fun though, good way to kill an hour and a half. I'm knackered.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Has anyone got a set for this track, or even the Milwaulkee one? Can't find one.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Try this, i butcherd it, best i done is a 28.8 (qual) around phoenix, you have to start it off a bit tight cos she gets loose on as the run goes on. it was based on the milwaulkee set. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Thanks dude.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

How are you entering turn 1 Neil? I think I've got most of the track sussed but I'm not sure with T1. So far I'm taking a very shallow entry because if I try to do too much turning in under brakes the back steps right out. I'm going to have a try maybe braking a bit earlier with less brake and see if I can apex the corner a bit more, any thoughts?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I enter turn one mid to low, get alot of braking down early, then coast then brake again for the 2nd apex. Stupid corner, then flat off the corner, hopefully low on exit. if you can keep the bitch low itll be a good lap time. its when she scrubs up high yo lose time. thats why braking and then flooring it on that 2nd apex thing.

the 2nd apex is where the corner really starts to turn, if u look it turns in very shallow, and then about 30-metres in it gets alot sharper.

hope that helps
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah that has helped a bit, mainly the braking. I think maybe coming from a road background I try and brake too much and too hard before the turn. It was similar at Milwaukee, once I got in a race I realised you could take a wide arc on entry without the back stepping out by using less brake and riding it deep into the corner.
My best so far is a 29.186 early on a long run and I can keep it around the 29.3xx mark for quite a few laps. I like Phoenix a lot more than Milwaukee but it's funny how many people are using Milwaukee sets. I followed someone's suggestion in the international forum, a Milwaukee set in there posted by Connor McKenzie with a little less camber all round, found me almost 2 tenths.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

i hate milwaulkee, and im not going to race there in the future. shit hole of a track!

can you post that set for me please? i want to give it a whirl
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Here ya go, all I did was take one click of camber off each wheel and that was only because someone else mentioned it :shrug:

Edit: Just to be clear this is the original set posted with no alterations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

oooooh babeh

there is a real nice set in the trucks setup thread now, its a bit tight for my liking, so i loosened it right off. i won the 5pm (7pm aest) race by 3.1 seconds after a restart with 20 to go. lead 89 of the 120 laps. only stuff up i had was i hit the bump on the exit of 4 and plowed the wall :( I cant wait till saturday, get some more racing going!
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Yeah I grabbed that set too and did a 60 lap run tonight, was still doing 29.2xx's right at the end. :)
Any tips on pitting strategy Neil? It seems a lot of people pit more than once with the amount of yellows we seem to get. I figured best to try to keep it to one stop but if most are pitting more regularly it seems you don't get much advantage as they're in and out before you complete a lap under pace car, then you've got fresh tyres too. I guess a larger field it would make more of an advantage to staying out.