Australia Vs Seuth Efrica, first test

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Australia Vs Seuth Efrica, first test

Post by DexterPunk »

yup i agree.. where would we be without Haddin to hit some runs? We dont have quality bowling, and without Ponting and Hayden hitting any runs we dont have the team we used to. We seem to be always relying on the middle order to hit our runs. I think Hayden is a champ.. one of the best batsmen ive seen.. but hes getting older and not hitting any runs. Ponting is at least young enough to get himself back in form. Im starting to think Hayden should have given it away when Langer did.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

I don't like Ponting and I don't really like where he has taken the team. With so many new players now who can't hide in the shadows its beginning to tell.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

The bowlers have been making a fair few runs of late. Maybe they should do more bowling and less batting in the nets. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Well, for once, Nige and I agree on something. I am not a Ponting fan. Never have been as a captain. He is a world class batsman, of that there is no doubt, but the way he caries on when things aren't going well is pretty poor. His body language yesterday at times was that of an under 11's player. Arms crossed kicking the grass, imagine how the new blokes to the team would be feeling. When the skipper is pouting and carrying on like a spoilt brat, it doesn't do alot for team moral. Bowling M Clark before Krejza must fill the offy with joy. Then to come off the ground and launch into blokes, doesn't seem like the best way to encourage moral. He singled out Lee saying he needed to lift his game, then launched into this little team building exercise.

Ponting said he expected more from his young bowlers. "I would hope that when we come up against a good batting side we are still capable of bowling them out," he said. "They are just kids really that haven't got a real solid foundation of first-class cricket under their belts.

"Maybe my expectation of those couple has to come down a bit but they are out there playing for Australia, and I expect them to be able to do a job. They would expect it of themselves as well. If you look around our rooms tonight, they are probably the two who are most disappointed out of everybody."

The fact that Ponting is averaging 33 since the 1st test in India would suggest he shouldn't be pointing fingers.

As for the batting, with out the contribution of the bowlers with the bat, this test would have been over early yesterday morning. Hayden needs to go. Symmonds and Clark need to stop throwing their wickets away. Hussey looks mortal all of a sudden.

South Africa seem to have some talent. DeVilliers is a freak. I have heard alot about him, but seeing him play like he did yesterday was a breath of fresh air. If Steyne can produce some of his recent form, him will run through the aussies real soon. Smith seems to have confidence thats been missing on trips over here before.

If Australia don't improve soon, they will get spanked in South Africa, and probably hand back the Ashes next winter. Exciting times ahead for world cricket.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

It doesnt surprise me much really... Aussie kids dont play cricket like they used to... theres heaps of other sporting options out there these days. It makes sense that we are going to find the choice of players running a bit thin compared to previous generations. I think the gilchrists, Langers, haydens, mcgraths and warnes are going to be much harder to find in the future.

Also with India and the size of their population, and how passionate they are about cricket.. kids everywhere playing etc... i dont see how they arent going to take the number spot.

Ill be more surprised if we can stay the best team in the world... technically we still are, but i dont see it that way at the moment.

I dont mind Ponting tbh, i think hes just extremely passionate about his cricket... must be hard being chased down with a lead that big. Taylor was a better captain though in my opinion. I do agree though Lee isnt doing enough... but who else is there? I just dont think we have any real world class bowlers. Top order batting has to improve... and i think we have the talent to do that. Ponting has time to regain form, and theres some great batsmen out there playing first class cricket that could fit into the team if Hayden retired.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Ponting is a right knob. Only aussie cricketer I'd glad to see the back of.

Seriously though, I get the feeling from the media and general population that too much is expected of them. They have been #1 in the world for how long now? When was the last time they lost a test series in Australia? 17 years or something? Whenever they lose it's like the end of the world! Give them a break, they'll probably come out and spank the Seuth Efricuns in the boxing day test. I think once we are used to our team winning so much it's hard to accept anything else.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Having had the chance to sit down and watch most of this test match, I have spent a hell of a lot of time mowing lawns and cleaning gutters. If yesterday wasn't one of the most inept displays by a cricket team in the past 10 years, I'll eat my hat. Ponting would have to be one of the most unimaginative captains to walk on the field. Fair enough, he is a bowler down, but jesus christ, why does he keep sending the field back as soon as someone is looking like they are playing well. And I see he was back to pouting and arm crossing pretty early on in the day. That's real good for the younger blokes in the team. I can only imagine what Allan Border was thinking after watching that yesterday. The only hope they have is they don't have to bat last. But it looked like a pretty placid pitch, so I cant see an aussie spinner going through SA tomorrow. Good luck to the SOuth Africans, they are playing well and have some talent in their team. Should be an interesting day or 2 ahead.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I've been giving Ponting a hard time for a couple of years now. He answered my criticism a little with a decent knock in the first innings but his captaincy yesterday was abismal. SA were obviously playing well but Ponting just sat back and watched, where was the agressive Aussie field? What was with changing bowlers every 4 overs? I thought I was going to get thrown the ball for a while there. How about letting someone settle into a rythm and trying different things with the field?

It was embarrasing to watch, it's the first time I've turned off an Aussie cricket game in a long time.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Yes, it was interesting to see a team do to Australia what Australia has done to so many teams over the last 15 years or so.

By that I mean it's been quite common over that period for Australia to get into a spot of bother - lose a session, or struggle for a day - but the opposition could not finish them off and some late-order partnership or outstanding bowling spell would turn the game back in Australia's favour. The opposition couldn't maintain the intensity and Australia would get out of jail.

This is exactly what's happened over the last two days. On day 2 the Australian bowlers were fired up and charging in. The fielders were sharp, and the wickets were falling.

On day 3 there was little of that intensity, the Aussies made the mistake that so many teams have made against Australia - they lifted their foot off the neck of their opponent.

In all honesty, I think South Africa will win this game. Best case for Australia is a draw.
:teach:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yep can only hope for a draw now...

Theres only so much you can blame on a captain... if the bowlers arnt taking tail end wickets you really have to start thinking about changing the side fairly dramatically and giving some young guys a go. Ponting has proven himself as a captain many times... and yes i dont agree with some of his tactics of late, and i dont think hes as good a captain as the last couple but i think the problems with the team are bigger than just the captaincy. I think we are really missing Stuart Clark tbh. I dont give a fuck about Lee, he's been useless for months and can stay out the team for all i care.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Ponting is a fair weather captain. When things are going wrong, you dont just send everyone to the boundary and cross your arms.

Hayden just got sucked in again. Bracewell seems to have picked Haydens weakness. And now every bastard knows about it.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

At the risk of being banished. Go SA. Bit of luck there with the off the helmet catch (but no more so than Ian Healy getting a stumping without the ball in his glove).
Just a quick question, When was the last time two teams made 400-ish in the first innings at the MCG. Not usually a place of big numbers.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

1923 Nige :D

...nfi, but it is high scoring for the G.
norbs

Post by norbs »

It would be ages since 2 teams scored 400 or more at alot of grounds in Australia Nige. Maybe at Adelaide, but not many teams have scored big runs in Australia for a while.

edit. Looking into it further. Australia hasn't lost there since the Poms beat them in 1998/9.

2007/8 - Aust 343 Ind 196
2006/7 - Eng 159 Aus 419
2005/6 - Aust 355 SA 311
2004/5 - Pak 341 Aus 379
2003/4 - Ind 366 Aus 558
2002/3 - Aus 6/551 Eng 270
2001/2 - SA 277 Aus 487
2000/1 - Aus 364 WI 165
1999/2000 - Aus 405 Ind 238
1998/9 Eng 270 Aus 340 (Aust lost by 12 runs)

So looking at that, the G seems to produce more runs than it seems. One team in every match has scored 300+ in the 1st innings.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Interesting, norbs, I seem to remember them moving the bonardry in after someone went under the fence and injured themselves, perhaps thats why larger scores are at the G these days.
For what ever reason Aus thought 400ish was enough and took the foot off the accelerator and the Africans didn't. One thing for sure, its great to see a team tested again. Its almost as enjoyable to watch as The England Ashes win. No matter what way you looked at it. It was a stonking series that.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

you mean its great to see Australia playing like crap?
norbs

Post by norbs »

Listening to a couple of trainees at morning tea was interesting. After a while I figured out that they were of an age that they wouldnt remember the dark days off the mid 80's. Their memories of Australian cricket was pretty much the period of domination. They are just used to Australia winning. One of them only knew Bob Simpson as a coach, and didnt even realise he was a terrific player in his time. I'm starting to feel old. :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

about as far back as i can remember is Border as captain. I can only really remember Australia as a dominant team... because they have been for so long.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Luck is swinging back to the Aussies. Clark is blessed.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

spoke too soon norbsy
norbs

Post by norbs »

Fair dinkum, I couldn't pick Bill Lawry's nose at the moment.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

:rofl: :yes:
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jesus. G Smith must have a Harry potter wand!

Ponting must have seen them move that short cover there. And he hits it straight to him! Feck!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

the point they made on the commentry is valid too... johnson hit a single on the last ball of the over twice.. must have made him even more eager to get over the hurdle.. oh well, a bit anoying, but watching him bat well has been one of the few positive things about watching the cricket the last few days.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

norbs wrote:Jesus. G Smith must have a Harry potter wand!

Ponting must have seen them move that short cover there. And he hits it straight to him! Feck!
Not only that, but it was hardly a smash towards short cover, more a "hear catch this" shot.
More luck with the S'Africans in getting bowled off a NB.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography