Your guitar gear

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
Dr. Pain

Re: Your guitar gear

Post by Dr. Pain »

That looks nice. I'm still thinking about a strat but then I found a nice Jackson Dinky but I'm still thinking. I didn't know about Cole Clark till you posted Woodsy but its got me interested and the price is right on what the Strat and Dinky are I've been pondering.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i can't recommend them highly enough, i'm busting for one of their Tele's with the humbucker. Even the Mistress model looks cool.
El Kabong
Yank with no wank
Yank with no wank

Post by El Kabong »

Nice Woodsy! I had a rummage around their site and liked what I saw. Some nice acoustics as well. The FL2 "Fat Lady" seems to be making a nice name for herself. Their options for colors were: "any you like... within reason" :D
DUcK

Post by DUcK »

Okay, I'm back with another one.
I heard this cool little backing track on youtube, and I wanted to attempt to make a bit of a song out of it. Unfortunately, I don't have the self discipline or patience to sit down and write or at least structure a song. So I just basically improv'd again.

This was the first take - I'd like to do it again and actually get some decent stuff happening. Also, the strings are old and rusty now too (just can't keep them fresh when you live next to the ocean! One day sitting - in the case or out and they are dirty and nearing black!).

[youtube] [/youtube]
DUcK

Post by DUcK »

Another one, bitta bluesy stuff with some muckin' around. Once again, first take. :p

[youtube] [/youtube]
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Duck, Great work with the improv stuff. :yes: Feel free to put some 5ths in when you play. Bended 5ths can just make it sound sweet.

I call myself a very cheap musician and you might see why later in this post, but now to go through and post my gear.

I will start with my main instrument. An OLP MM3 5-String bass. Picked it up for $400. Jazzy sounds cross with a Musicman. Aside the setup issues with the nut which has become more apparent with time, hands down one of my favourite basses I have ever played. I use it every week at Youth and I have only ever broken one string on it and it was the E string while playing live. I trash that string very hard and to pretty much rip it out made me feel awesome yet sad. Thank goodness for the B string though, I was able to keep going after a quick retune.

My Bass Amp, A Fender Rumble 100/210 with 2 10" speakers. The mid scoop button is easily its most usable feature. Brilliant for those moments you want to pop and slap bass, or even play around with the tone a bit. Can't be arsed taking a pic, so here's one I found on the net.

I'll have to post my newest guitar baby, a '00 Yamaha Pacifica 604W. I found it for $170 at a shop in Newtown. Only thing I can fault about it is one of the locking tuners has siezed up and needs replacing. I also need to look into replacing the push/push tone knob. Oh, the photos were taken after an immense cleaning of everything on it. The knobs were originally smokey yellow with green writing so I restored it to its former glory.

Other instruments I have at my disposal which I don't have pics of

- Yamaha PSR-E403. First proper keyboard I owned. It's such a useful keyboard with pretty good quality sounds.
- Alesis QS6.1. Technically it is my church's synthesizer, but they hate it and for that reason I love it. Probably the worst touch sensitivity I've ever experienced in my life with keyboards but if you dig deep into how to use it, it has so much potential.
- Yamaha CS-40 Classical Acoustic. It just works, so well. Signs of its age are starting to show but its a very nice first guitar to our family.

I only have one foot pedal, that is a custom made ZVex Fuzz Factory. Very Muse-esque sound and a pain in the ass to work with but if you get it right, it brings an awesome distortion sound. Apparently it is worth $500 to buy here while I made mine for $70. I have had several people, including a guitarist for a band about to be signed by Sony have interest in the pedal. I love it as my distortion, crunch and fuzz. You set it right, it just works.

And finally, my current project for the past year, doing very slowly is... another 5 string bass. Maple Neck, Mahogany Body, New Guinea Rosewood fretboard (not pictured, but looks very interesting). I'll have to get to it when I have the money to hire tools to work on it.

And there we go. You have what is essentially my musical life.
DUcK

Post by DUcK »

I'd be interested in seeing that 5 string bass when it's finished!
What do you mean by 5ths? I know nothing technically :|
Where would I find a 5th? :D
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

A 5th, in the most basic terms would be something like

Code: Select all

e|-------------------------
B|-------------------------
G|-------7------9----------
D|-------5------7----------
A|-------------------------
E|-------------------------
So In that case you'd be playing a G with a C. 5th just means 5 semitones above. :yes:

Just play around with stuff like that. If you can do solo stuff like that really well, you will catch on to this just as easily.
DUcK

Post by DUcK »

I see... So if the backing track goes to an E I could bend to a high B or something and it will sound cool?
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Well you can bend the E and B together, or just play it in the fashion you do soloing, or whatever. It can just add depth to some solos
DUcK

Post by DUcK »

Aaahh, okay. I kinda get it :D
When I get a chance to pick my old girl up, leave me with it and I'll see how I go :p
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ - They have articles scattered around that site on what to do with playing guitar. There was one recently on how to spice up boring chords, and it used that 5th method while playing open strings with it.

Also has a bucket load of tabs.
DUcK

Post by DUcK »

Okay cool! Thanks! :)
DUcK

Post by DUcK »

Hey guys...
Yes, I'm back. Aaaagain. :D
Sorry Crowella, no 5ths! :(

Used to play this song in a band, so I figured I'd have a go at it again... Was a bit of fun.

Hope you like it! :yes:

Edit* Change of tone was a bad idea. Sounds okay and pretty brutal from where I am, camera can't cop it though. Back to mid's and high's with low gain it is then! :p

[youtube] [/youtube]
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

got me a new geetar, it's an Edwards. Imported from japan. And it is saweeeet.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Got a shot of the whole collection lately? You're a massive gear junky! :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

guitars are my lego :D
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Wow, that is a nice guitar. :D How does it play?

Next in my collection. I've been working on pedals lately. I managed to sell a fuzz factory clone recently and am currently working on a phaser for myself. Sadly, as of posting, the schematic for this has been updated, so I will need to replace the inside and outside. I'll have to post clips with it once I'm done waiting for some IC chips from the UK.

Oh. Because I like meaningless destruction. My mate and I have a little project: He picked up a Samick electric a few years ago for $50. He doesn't use it at all and it had been attacked with a sander by someone prior. Perfect mod guitar. We're going to squeeze a Tubescreamer, Delay/Modulation, Fuzz and Killswitch inside it.
El Kabong
Yank with no wank
Yank with no wank

Post by El Kabong »

Nice w00dsy. Welcome to the black LP Custom club. You should raise that stop bar about 4-5 mm because it's really putting a lot of force on the bridge.

Damn, I gotta get those top-wrap pictures posted. Once you top wrap you can screw that stop bar tight against the body where it belongs without any undue stress on the bridge.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i am thinking of top wrapping, apparently you can run 11's and it still feels slinky. I am just worried about ripping the chrome off the stop bar. But after having a look at the massive angle i might just do it. Check this out. :yikes:

El Kabong
Yank with no wank
Yank with no wank

Post by El Kabong »

That's one nasty angle. Top wrap that rascal!

Yeah I've been using 11's on my Lester forever. No problem with bends if you top wrap, even multiple string bends are easy. Oh, and real men don't care about scratches. :D
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I got me a BC Rich Warbeast today

An entry level only $400 but feels nice. I was surprised when I tried it in the shit arse Leading Edge store here today. It will do me and now I can set my ESP down two and a half steps in tuning :)
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

pointy, it's funny how ages ago BC Rich was considered silly 80's novelty gear, but now people are starting to love the old 80's stuff again. Charvels have become popular again too.BC Rich have a few really nice models they have just released. I'm quite partial to this one
[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/8621604[/vimeo]

this is cool in a weird way too
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

They had a black fixed bridge version of the guitar above at the shop where I got mine today, looks weird. I liked the Warbeast better than the Warlock. Although it's pointy it was lighter and just handled it better.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

are they active pups? Looks like EMG clones. One thing i love about BC Rich's, they have some of the nicest necks you'll ever find.