Re: Your guitar gear

Post by richo »

Nice gear man, very nice.
[]D [] []v[] []D
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Nice :yes:

The cab I got fattened up my amp sound nicely and with the volume on half it was loud but not hurt your ears loud. The overdrive and reverb is very nice and all for just under $800. :yummy:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

:D :D :D :D :D the Tribute club ...lol . Picked it up yesterday afternoon . WOW ...awesome !!!
IMAG0020.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

nice LP, congrats. Nice thongs too ;)
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Thanks . Double Dragons ftw :) . Nice collection woodsy , can't see the cat though , you could have put it at the front :D
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Nice. Tribute Plus is a great geetar. Mine sounds friggin' awesome through the Blackstar amp.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I've been messing around more with the Blackstar amp and it's great. My 7 string has SD blackouts and they're aggressive but I found the amp doesn't quite have enough gain for death metal tones. But the blackouts and my boss 7 band eq are getting it there. Also I found setting the ISF to about 11 o'clock on the US side gives it aggression. It's does need some help to get the gain to stupid levels. As the rest of my guitars, I run the IFS to the right about 2 o'clock and I get a nice Marshall style tone which fattens up the sound nicely. It may only have one tube doing distortion but it's damn impressive. The clean channel is just a tone and volume. The main eq is only for gain. Blackstar make pedals with tubes so that would add an extra tube stage but they are not cheap. I'm really liking this amp as it's very usable in my environment. There's enough volume, gain and tone to keep me smiling. :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

w00dsy wrote:here's an updated collection photo.
Nice cat :bigthumb:
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Had my sons Epi Special 2 stolen from my bedroom last night while I was in the city , grrrrrrr :grumpy: . They were all up the backyard partying on and left the front door open . Will have a look around a couple of local hock shops tomorrow afternoon , see if I can find it .

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

That sucks. I'd be fuming! :(
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

bastards
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I got one of these yesterday (to replace my dying 28 year old Boss GE-7), an MXR Kerry F@#king King eq...

It's mad! I've been using my old eq like a tube screamer, tighten the bottom and a mid range hump, but this thing is something else. I dialled in a setting I found on line which didn't seem too extreme and I had the volume and gain sliders set at 0 and the amp was on the over drive channel with the volume set to 2.5 which is a nice bedroom level not going to bother anyone else in the house on the HT-5. Turned on the KFK, which was in the effects loop of the amp, and it was like the amp volume went instantly to 8 and scared the shit out of me! Once I sorted the volume I found it to be bloody good and very sensitive to any change. Where you place it has a big effect too. Sounds nice in the effects loop but between the guitar and amp it's giving the pre amp on the HT-5 more balls. I got more playing around with it to do but I'm glad I have it. It's got a dual output too just in case one amp isn't enough :yikes:
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Been a while since I got something guitar related but I bought one of these and should have it by Friday. I want to play in C but the guitar I use for that is a cheap BC Rich, bolt on neck with Dunlop heavycore 12's and it's not working out well. Move about while I play and the string slacken off. My neck through BC Rich 7 string doesn't have this problem so either this drop tune works with my guitar tuned to D or at some point I'll get another neck through.

[youtube] [/youtube]
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Cool, that looks a bag of fun, look forwards to hearing what you think.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I got the drop tune this morning and I let fly on it with some Slayer songs. It didn't disappoint. This thing is awesome! There was no lag playing fast. For a 1/2 step to a whole step down it works great. It does alter the tone slightly and you do notice that but it's nothing that some mid's and high's can't fix, but it wasn't mushy sounding. I ran it first in my signal chain into a 7 band eq and noise suppressor. I found it a bit bassie on the eq but my SD-1 fixed that. I found going to 1 1/2 steps down was sounding ok but was just becoming a bit mushy. It wasn't that bad but you could start to hear it. So 1/2 to a whole step down seems to be it's sweet spot. The octaver works well too but a pain to click down to it. The oddest thing is hearing your guitar in two different tunes. I found I had to crank the amp to drown out the acoustic of my guitar because it's tuned to E but the amplified sound was D. But once cranked, and it wasn't too loud, it sounded great. I play metal and most of my guitars have active pick ups and it worked great with them. I tried it with my Les Paul and it worked well but I like that guitar just how it is. Not too worried about changing it's tuning. But for my ESP with EMG Hetfield actives, WOW! It sounded so fucking cool!

It's a great toy to have and you could use it at home or live just as long as you didn't go too far down. It's 12 volts though so now I have 3 different power levels on my pedals and 10 band eq.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

The previous thoughts were trying this pedal through Boss pedals and a solid state 30 watt Marshall. Today I tried it through my Blackstar HT5-RH and 212 cab with my MXR 10 band eq before the amp. My Les Paul sounded much better this time. I found the pedal takes some of the crispness out of my sound especially with the active pick up's. I could best liken it to putting a sheet over the cab. I noticed it a lot more on this amp. It's not a big thing though. Not enough to make me hate the pedal. I did find that after a whole step down it got artificial sounding. For something under $200 it does the job very well. I wanted to play in C and I can now without messing about with changing strings and set up. A guitar in the tuning I want would be better but this pedal is going 90% of the way there. It's pretty damn cool. :)
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

How does it work in with other effects on?
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I haven't really tried other effects other than reverb on the amps. I'm not really one for effects but I'll play about with my Boss ME-50 with it's chorus, flanger, phaser, delay and wah wah next time I'm playing.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

So I picked up a SWR Goliath Sr cab today for $500 to compliment my bass head. Amazing cab. Getting loud now.

Cutter

Post by Cutter »

Faarrk, that'll make the bowels rumble...
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

That would rattle teeth out of your head! :yikes:
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Another update. Bought a new (well, new to me) bass. Pedulla Rapture RB5. Hand made from the US. This one dates back to about 1995. Has a very thin neck and is so easy to play.

Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

That looks nice but it would be even better if it didn't have a pickguard.

I've just bought a Mexican standard stratocaster. It's being packed ready to ship to me as I write this. They are cheap atm only $600 and I'm already planning to change the humbucker pickguard and controls to black, unless I can find a white DiMarzio super distortion. Also if it gets lifting frets like my Washburn then it's cheap to buy a new neck. It's like $300 for a Mexican standard neck. It's about $400 to have the frets done on my Washburn. I like the fact I can customise it and being a standard, any standard part will fix. I don't think I've ever been more excited about getting a guitar than right now. It's a Strat! :yummy: In just under a year I got a Les Paul and now a Strat. Unless they get stolen I won't be buying anything else as the set is, to me, complete. :)

Crowella

Post by Crowella »

You'll probably find the Mexican standard is built pretty damn well and the frets could as well be good. The pickguard change to black would go nicely.