Mobile plans

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
pixelboy

Re: Mobile plans

Post by pixelboy »

I couldn't find that $60 plan on Three website EN-J so I couldn't compare properly.

Im also on a telstra 150mb plan and I go over every month being conservative.. id LOVE to use more so I think id need at least 500mb..

Either way they look like good deals..

This is handy >> http://www.numbersinaflash.com/iphone-p ... on-calcul/
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

NeilPearson wrote:vodafone are far more expensive on txts aswell. i was looking at this yesterday, 3 is the cheapest in plans and whatnot.

im after a 3Gs 16gb, 3 have it for $49 cap (+$5 a month for phone) for $350 worth of calls and 250 mb of data a month, 25c txts and 40c for every 30 second block. + $250 worth of calls to other 3 customers.
thats what i got... its a good deal, nearly the month up and i have heaps of calls and texts and data left, and ive been in my iphone honey moon period using it heaps! So its actually $54 all up... when i signed up the guy said.. u have the 'iphone only' option to add more data if you like.. and i said.. 'hmm nah, i reckon 250MB will be fine for me, i have wireless at home'. out of interest i asked how much data for how much.. +500MB for $6 a month... i said 'sold'. Pretty good deal all in all, $60 a month for $350 of calls/txt +$240 extra to 3 people, and 750MB of data. I could have stepped up to the $69 cap plan i guess for only $9 a month more, and got more of everything, but u gotta call it quits somewhere... thats how they get ya.

NeilPearson wrote: EnJ, have to remember, that with the iphone it cannot do 2 things at once. (except music) so if your using the GPS and you need to txt/call someone well it will cancel out the gps.
Unless you Jailbreak.... apparently you can run programs in the background.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

pixelboy wrote:I couldn't find that $60 plan on Three website EN-J so I couldn't compare properly.

Im also on a telstra 150mb plan and I go over every month being conservative.. id LOVE to use more so I think id need at least 500mb..

Either way they look like good deals..

This is handy >> http://www.numbersinaflash.com/iphone-p ... on-calcul/
It's the same plan Dexter has $49 but including the phone payment ($5)and 500mb downloads ($6) it's $60 a month.

Cheers for the link... by the looks of it I think the 3 deal is going to suit me best.
Neil wrote:EnJ, have to remember, that with the iphone it cannot do 2 things at once. (except music) so if your using the GPS and you need to txt/call someone well it will cancel out the gps.
Yeah I don't think that will be a major problem although it would make things easier otherwise
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Just be careful not to use any net stuff when your roaming.. it roams to telstra towers, the calls and txts are still the same, but any net usage, and u can get some hefty extra $$$ on your bill. If u get the iphone, turn off auto email updates, and set it to manual... so it only grabs your emails when you want to.. and turn 'Push' off as well.

by the way - does anyone know if you can turn roaming off?? if i select 'Networks' or what ever its called in settings.. it just sits there doing its apple spinny thing.
Doso

Post by Doso »

DexterPunk wrote:Just be careful not to use any net stuff when your roaming.. it roams to telstra towers, the calls and txts are still the same, but any net usage, and u can get some hefty extra $$$ on your bill. If u get the iphone, turn off auto email updates, and set it to manual... so it only grabs your emails when you want to.. and turn 'Push' off as well.

by the way - does anyone know if you can turn roaming off?? if i select 'Networks' or what ever its called in settings.. it just sits there doing its apple spinny thing.
what you can't tell the Iphone not to download emails when roaming?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah you turn off auto checking thing... and set it to manual, so it only looks for new emails when you open up your mail app.
Doso

Post by Doso »

DexterPunk wrote:yeah you turn off auto checking thing... and set it to manual, so it only looks for new emails when you open up your mail app.

yeah but you can't have it set to autodownload emails while your on the home network only?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

well i guess you'd have to just change the settings when you get home... i dont think theres a way of having some kinda profile setup for a particular wireless connection etc... but who knows, theres prob and app for it lol.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

They other SUPER-MEGA plus with Vodafone is they let you tether yer iPhone free..

broadband on yer lappy on the train :nod:
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

what do you mean for free?? it would use what ever data from the 3G network wouldnt it?

by the way - just checked my usage (1 day left in the month) and ive used..

215.88MB of my 750MB (28.78%)
$215.10 of my allocated $350 (61.46%) - Free talk on three, i used 54 mins of my 300 mins allocated.

Ive been giving the phone a damn good floggin, this plan rawks :yes:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

some other ISP's charge you just to be able to connect and use the iphone as a modem, sure you still pay for data but the others charge $10/m or something
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

how would they know??? if its connected itself to the net or being used as a modem?? thats criminal!! as far as i know i can tether my iphone and use it as a modem and only use my data ive already paid for.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

try it.. it wont work unless your ISP allows it :nod:

They wont allow data to pass through it to a laptop as they wanna sell usb dongles..
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

hmmm i think i will... wheres the option on the iphone again??
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

the option prob wont show..

there are some hacks... at your own risk

http://andrew.harrison.org/notes/3-tethering-and-mms/
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

oh

i allowed tethering in settings.... i thought that would be it?? it asked for either Blue tooth or USB and i picked USB... cant seem to get it working though..
Doso

Post by Doso »

pixelboy wrote:try it.. it wont work unless your ISP allows it :nod:

They wont allow data to pass through it to a laptop as they wanna sell usb dongles..
3 Let me do this on my older Nokia n95 and HTC Touch HD, I use it all the time :nod:

I still can not believe the iphone does not have the option to not do auto data connections when roaming
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Oh yeah, I do it on my Treo 750 on telstra..

Its just because AT&T cracked the shits in USA that the iPhone ended up tether locked..

Only Voda allows it by default.
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

i think it might..... i just looked in 'network' and theres a 'data roaming' option that i turned off...... so ill wait and see and tell you if it still roams to telstra when it has no reception on 3, if it does, then id say that means it wont download anything unless on 3... which means emails can auto update, and 'push' can be on without risk of getting gay charges.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

After alot of calls to the 3 store they finally told me the magical words "we have 16gb 3gs' in stock" but each store only got... 6. They had already sold 4 by lunch and I knew I wouldn't get one if I waited to
6pm. So on my lunch break I knicked off to a different store and managed to get one. Luckily for me I got there before a few people rocked up all asking for them.

Now I'm on a 49 cap with 3 with the extra 500mb for 6 bucks. Transfered my number from telstra which happened over night and I'm happy as. (was paying $79 a month + 40 for a different phone) that's all been cancled.

This 3gs rawks big time, my 3g was broken bad and slow and dodgy so I'm stoked I'm now using this awesome 3gs
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

congrats Neil.. i hope Telstra doesn't charge your arse off for d/c fee.... they tried to charge me $176 when I had paid out my contract in April... d/c from them last month. After a call to find out wtf was going on, they apparently signed me up for another 12 months without my consent, they had called me to tell me my contract was up, and would i like to resign to a contract.. i said NO... and was told id be on a month by month basis.. i said fine. How they can re-sign you up to a contract with no consent or signature is beyond me. Anyway she waved the d/c fee, but so damn happy to be rid of telstra! Their extra coverage is just not worth it.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

My plan has 6 months to end and a phone to pay off and the d/c fee is $350 which is worth paying to get out of it.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

anything to get rid of Tel$tra :nod: