Post by r8response »

Well its in development, and ISI has slowly been releasing new screenies

ImageImage

ImageImage
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: rFactor2

Post by Exar Kun »

The lighting on the oval looks good but the other screenshots don't really do anything for me. Where's the environment mapped reflections? At least the car looks like it's self-shadowing. I'm glad rF is still going as it's the only way we get to play a lot of series but I don't know how much new rF2 will bring to the table.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
thornz

Post by thornz »

If they can have the physics, or at least the feel of LFS/iraing/netkar, I can see this being a big winner. It was the one thing that stopped so many people playing this as there sim of choice. I'll be hoping for the best, could be the one to get me back into sim racing.
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Yeah the screenshots are a bit disappointing which I just don't understand in this day and age. With the power of todays graphics cards I just can't figure out how you can make a game look so dated. A couple of those are barely distinguishable from GPL screenshots.

Mind you, as much as I like rFactor, I've never liked the ISI graphics engines. They always have weird lighting and somehow the graphics never look particularly solid compared to Papy or LFS.

They also need to sort out the movemvent physics, which is part of why I think a lot of people don't regard rFactor as having comparable physics to other sims. I mean things like how the car bounces around. Simple things such as how the car rolls really help in creating the immersion I reckon. LFS was one of the first sims to have things like tyre walls bouncing around convincingly, and I think that stuff like that gives you more confidence in the physics engine.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

What they really need to do is improve the update/modding system for end users.

Its soo fucking complicated to deal with setting up new mods/tracks, thats the real reason ive been turned off rfactor
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

Yeah that as well. A game designed entirely for modding that doesn't have any kind of mod-management system was a but of a stupid decision.

Edit: Just found a twitter page from the main man in rFactor. I'm not on Twitter so I dunno exactly what's going on but there are some interesting things on there:
http://twitter.com/rfactor2
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

so is it trendy to have a go at rF2? ;)
I don't mind those screens, they aren't the best possible with today's computers, but not bad at all - for race sims, definitely.
Foggy & twilight are not environments usually found in this genre either. Textures are nice, shadows are correct looking.
However, they don't tell me anything about the program itself. So I'll reserve any evaluation for when there's actually something to see. :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

It's starting to look a bit better -
http://www.virtualr.net/rfactor-2-one-new-screenshot/

I thought that was from iRacing when I saw it, but apparently it's rF.