With utmost Respect...

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
Montey

Re: With utmost Respect...

Post by Montey »

w00dsy wrote:here's a song she did 10 years ago, sounds pretty good to me, i doubt the Professor of Musical Superiority will give it the thumbs up though :D
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/zlxb ... Q?fl_link=

OK... 2 options....

Option 1) If this really is her it means that she isn't some inexperienced frump from some little village in England who was singing to an audience for the first time ever the other day. If this is the case then that makes her performance the other day worse, because she's been making recordings since 1999 and she should have been far better.

Option 2) It's not her... i.e. this is just someone claiming it's her. I think this is the more likely option because the singer has tonal qualities (accent, where her pitch strength is, her tremolo) more attributable to American female negro soul singers (Here's Ella Fitzgerald singing the same song: . The vocalist in that recording also has pretty good vocal expression, something Susan didn't display the other evening. I am not completely ruling it out that it is Susan, but I won't believe it until I see a video of her singing it, or see an album cover with her name on it along side that song (after all this was a charity recording, so there should be an album somewhere).
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

She's great, i'll give her that. An amazing shock. It was great to see the looks on the judges faces though, simon was priceless.....

But i doubt anyone will argue this is the best song your ever going to hear....

Amazing
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Montey wrote:
w00dsy wrote:here's a song she did 10 years ago, sounds pretty good to me, i doubt the Professor of Musical Superiority will give it the thumbs up though :D
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/zlxb ... Q?fl_link=

OK... 2 options....

Option 1) If this really is her it means that she isn't some inexperienced frump from some little village in England who was singing to an audience for the first time ever the other day. If this is the case then that makes her performance the other day worse, because she's been making recordings since 1999 and she should have been far better.

Option 2) It's not her... i.e. this is just someone claiming it's her. I think this is the more likely option because the singer has tonal qualities (accent, where her pitch strength is, her tremolo) more attributable to American female negro soul singers (Here's Ella Fitzgerald singing the same song: . The vocalist in that recording also has pretty good vocal expression, something Susan didn't display the other evening. I am not completely ruling it out that it is Susan, but I won't believe it until I see a video of her singing it, or see an album cover with her name on it along side that song (after all this was a charity recording, so there should be an album somewhere).
Hey, i just worked something out... We met earlier this year.. You were standing outside the cricket shouting at people who were waving flags, and chanting Come on Aussie Come on, and generally looking rather happy to be going to the cricket... we refered to him as the "Fun Police", but next year I will call him... Montey... :D (bet that doesn't make the guy at the cricket smile either... :D but maybe our tweed jackets, white riding cloves and smoking pipes will bring him around... :nod: )

Seriously though, I am sure you are correct, but as previously mentioned... 99.9% of people aren't overly into the technical side of it all... if it makes you smile... then I say, smile... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Montey wrote: OK... 2 options....

She said she has never sung in front of a large audience. She also said she'd been singing since she was 12. She could have easily been singing locally in various theatre performances. I don't know why your so intent on bringing her down. No one ever said she was the best they'd ever heard, but your determined to compare her to pro's. It was the fact that she copped it from the judges and audience(most of which wasn't aired) and she still got up there and sung pretty bloody well. It would be interesting to see how she goes when she's not nervous. Before she opened her mouth there was misconceptions about her, she wasn't a beautiful young blonde so obviously she couldn't sing well.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

w00dsy wrote:she wasn't a beautiful young blonde so obviously she couldn't sing well.
Actually, when you put it like that, now I am struggling to see your point??? :D
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

bengatta wrote:
w00dsy wrote:she wasn't a beautiful young blonde so obviously she couldn't sing well.
Actually, when you put it like that, now I am struggling to see your point??? :D
What? It's a well known fact! Just look around! :lol:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

goodbye Susan Boyle, this weeks big thing is this kid. What is it with this show and voices not suiting someones appearance.

embedding disabled
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

One of the judges, not simon, the other guy.....he invited susan boyle out to dinner.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

maybe he wants to pop her cherry. ewwww
Montey

Post by Montey »

w00dsy wrote:maybe he wants to pop her cherry. ewwww
Bucket List Item # 46 : Deflower a virgin (note to self... the long this takes, the lower the standards).
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

if her voice surprised him maybe her sexual skills will too.
bengatta

Post by bengatta »

w00dsy wrote:if her voice surprised him maybe her sexual skills will too.
I suspect I will agree with Monteys views with his response to this... :D

absolutely two chances in fuck all of this being a surprise in a good way... She should stick with the one and be greatful for that... :D

Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I dunno, so far the best chick in bed has been the ugliest and visa versa for me. Fucking whore. Ahem, sorry.
Montey

Post by Montey »

bengatta wrote:
w00dsy wrote:if her voice surprised him maybe her sexual skills will too.
I suspect I will agree with Monteys views with his response to this... :D

absolutely two chances in fuck all of this being a surprise in a good way... She should stick with the one and be greatful for that... :D
It takes pushing your luck one step too far.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Vilante wrote:I dunno, so far the best chick in bed has been the ugliest and visa versa for me. Fucking whore. Ahem, sorry.
the ugly ones put more effort in because they never know when they'll get another one, plus they are more appreciative :yes:
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

http://www.yourtv.com.au/news/?i=158764

Here's her chance to get $1 million....
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

like anyone would pay to see that, eewwwww
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

w00dsy wrote:like anyone would pay to see that, eewwwww
I think your forgetting the man from which the word filth was derived from.....Hertz!
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

[youtube] [/youtube]
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

w00dsy wrote:the best bit of advice i ever got was way back when i started playing guitar, if it sounds good it is good. In music there is no such thing as good or bad, just do you like it or don't you. Music theory is one of those things where it can work well for you, but it can also limit you to the point where you might never want to stray out of the so called 'rules' of music.

This old bird isn't going to be remembered in a few months, she is a feel good story this week and everyone is jumping on it. She's a good singer, no doubt. No one expected her to be a very good singer because she's not young and pretty, like all our sugar pop stars are now. But reality is she will probably get her 15mins and because she's a frumpy old duck she'll woddle off back to her village as that lady that was once on the tele that made that nasty man smile.
And that, folks, is the best summary I've read on the matter.

Don't forget that there will be a lot of people who will have dissed her before she opened her vocal chords to the public who are now feeling guilty as hell and describing her as inspiring.

In a way she is. She's shown the music industry up for what we all knew it was, even if some who are still lost in the illusion - those in the audience who were sneering first - are now saying how great she is. She's run the full gamut from winning people over to missing out at the end and copping the public scrutiny for everything she's done in the meantime. Hopefully she'll end up financially and spiritually better off, wave two fingers at those who stereotyped her and bask in her iconoclastic status.

Rational analysis will reveal that she's not a great singer. She's competent and someone can probably find work for her somewhere.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

w00dsy wrote:she's the new Paul Potts
I thought you said Poll Potts. For a second there I thought she was going to mass cull Idol contestants.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Nigel wrote:
w00dsy wrote:she's the new Paul Potts
I thought you said Poll Potts. For a second there I thought she was going to mass cull Idol contestants.
Now that would be compelling viewing. :rofl:
:teach: