Any news/updates?

LFS chat
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: Any news/updates?

Post by Duke »

Hello Racers,
For this month's progress report we will show you some images of the updated Westhill track.
As Westhill is one one of our more modern track areas, it didn't need to be reworked as heavily as some of the others.
Textures have been updated to take advantage of the new lighting system, new 3D kerbs have been added and there are various scenery updates around the track.
Read the whole report on the Graphics Progress Report: Westhill page.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
thornz

Post by thornz »

kind of crazy (and maybe its the rendered images), but this looks as good as most modern day sims.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Seeing these updates, really makes me miss MNR
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

thornz wrote:kind of crazy (and maybe its the rendered images), but this looks as good as most modern day sims.
Right from the beginning, LFS always had something really pleasing about its aesthetic.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Thats a BIIIIIG grid in the 1st image.

Man I miss LFS in the height of its powers in the Aussie sim racing scene.
I wish these updates were available when we use to muck about in the autocross stuff, love all the back roads they have added to the tracks.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Well it runs pretty well on the new PC. No surprises, but it still doesnt look as good as the latest games.

That said. I was still racing AI after 45 minutes in the LX6. I forgot how much fun it is.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I wish they had spent the effort on new content rather than updating the old stuff, but damn it looks great.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Today we have an update for you with some important fixes and some new features. This is not the graphics update we have been talking about in recent progress reports. This one is fully compatible with the existing public version.

XRR on Rockingham oval with view fixed to horizon We decided to work on version U after learning about some issues with two new VR headsets that could actually cause eye strain, which made an update really important. We also fixed some other known bugs and took the opportunity to add some new features.

You can try a new setting for the cockpit views. Previously they were always aligned to the car but now you can lock the view to the horizon. Some people can experience motion sickness when driving a car in VR and this option can be a great help for them. With the view locked to the horizon you get a strong feeling of how the car is moving but it can be too much so there is an alternative setting to 'filter' the view. In this case the view still goes with the car's pitch and roll but there is a short time delay while the view catches up to the car. This is quite effective in showing how the car reacts to bumps.

For those of you who like to race offline, we have increased the number of AI drivers you can add and you can now set their skill levels individually in the race setup screen. The F11 and F12 in-game screens can now be used to adjust their live settings and pit strategy.

Read all about this update and how to install it on the Live for Speed version 0.6U page.

- LFS Developers

https://www.lfs.net/patch-6u

Changes from 0.6T to 0.6U :
Views:

New setting "View lock" can be set to car / filter / horizon
FIX: Offset mirror was not drawn offset in forces draw (F)

VR:

Updated to the latest version of OpenVR (1.2.10)
Pimax headsets can now be used in native mode (rotated eye views)
Minimum value for manual FOV setting reduced from 80 to 75 degrees
FIX: An error in OpenVR caused Samsung Odyssey+ wrong eye levels
FIX: A loss of accuracy in the automatic FOV calculation

Multiplayer:

Server side improvement to speed up recovery when there is lag
FIX: Timing bug that allowed damage repair to be done in zero time

AI:

You can now set the skill level of individual AI drivers
Single player race limit increased to 32 drivers (AI + real)
You can now change AI live settings / pit instructions (F11 / F12)
Command /aiskill X to set skill level 1 to 5 (for adding new AI)
Command /aiset name X to set AI driver 'name' to skill level X
Command /aiset_all X to set all local AI drivers to skill X
FIX: In overtaking lesson all AI drivers had PRO skill level
FIX: Non-qualifying race restart affected the overtaking lessons
FIX: Spam "This car does not have a handbrake" when hit parked AI

Interface:

Increased resolution of dashboard texture
Faster saving of screenshots when you press CTRL+S
Driver name and AI skill level are now shown in F11 / F12 windows
Entry screen shows "Unlock Live for Speed" instead of "Demo racer"
New key CTRL+P to copy the LFS window to clipboard excluding border
FIX: Some narrow unicode characters corrupted by an incorrect width
FIX: Host options could state "no bans" before clicking "edit bans"
FIX: Character dialog could be messed up when selecting languages

Misc:

Gearshift debounce code changed to help with the button release
SHIFT+F2/F3 can adjust time in single player mode (not hotlapping)
FIX: Attributes no longer copied when opening file by command line
FIX: Crash at startup when loading a corrupted car model file
Most translations updated. Thank you translators!

- LFS Developers
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I got to "This is not the graphics update we have been talking about in recent progress reports" so stopped reading. :lol:
Dukester

TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Say what you will about LFS. Seeing blackwood in VR was pretty special after having driven probably 10000 laps in 2D
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Live for Speed, Graphics Progress Report: Kyoto and lighting
As many of you know from the forum and Twitter, Eric has been working on Kyoto and Scawen has been working on a new lighting system. In this month's progress report we would like to show you some of the work in progress and talk a bit about the lighting.
The Kyoto track is not yet finished. There is still more detail to be completed and holes to fill, but we thought you would like to see how it is coming along.

THE NEW LIGHTING SYSTEM
Because of the way the new shadow system works, there is no longer a need for a limited number of lighting setups per track. I tried an experiment to allow the user to set the time of day for the lighting. The sun direction is calculated from that and the geographical location of the track. It became very tempting to try to allow all times of day and night. If that was to happen we would need working headlights, so I had a go at that as you can see in these screenshots.

We now have a simple interface to control time. You can select live time, so the tracks are lit according to their geographical position at the current time. Another option allows the time in game to be offset relative to real time by a number of hours (and days). For example you can start your race in the daytime even if it is really evening. Finally there is still an option for fixed time, which is useful at least for development purposes.

Here is a video of a sunset at the Autocross area :

I've recently been experimenting with real time generated skies to provide a lot of variation for the different sun positions. It's an interesting subject but it brings up the issue of exposure that is encountered with cameras (and eyes) in real life. An iris control can adjust the exposure.
Here is a video showing the exposure being adjusted at Aston. At the start the sky is exposed correctly but the foreground is too dark. At the end the foreground looks brighter but the sky is overexposed.

Finally here is a video showing a 24 hour cycle at Blackwood, in the summer. The iris is automatically adjusted (by an experimental system) so the daytime doesn't look too bright and things don't look too dark in the night.

- LFS Developers
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Graphics Progress Report: Lighting research
Hello Racers,

Our previous progress report was about the Kyoto updates and the new lighting system. Since then, Scawen has done more work on the lighting which may be interesting for some readers. Eric continued with Kyoto for some time. He has now moved onto South City, which isn't yet ready to show but we can show you some more pictures from Kyoto.

Originally the plan was to minimally update the existing track areas to make them work well with the new lighting and shadows. But some of the tracks were very old and Eric wanted to do extensive updates to bring them up to a more modern standard. It takes a long time to update the tracks, scenery and buildings, so Scawen has had the chance to do a lot of updates on the program side. We described in our April report the new lighting system that changes in real time from day to night.

Sometimes there is a lot of technical work do be done, which is not all that interesting to describe. Many readers may hope for a long list of cool things that we have done but the reality, most of the time, is a lot of research and experimentation for small steps forward. So for this month's report there are some technical descriptions, with random screenshots of Kyoto between paragraphs.

We mentioned in the previous report some experiments with a realtime generated sky, which is the best way to allow day to night transitions. The sky is generated by a system created by Lukas Hosek and Alexander Wilkie. The sky itself is an important part of lighting, especially in shadows where surfaces are not lit directly by the sun. The sky can produce quite different light colour and intensity depending on the direction a surface is facing. In older versions of LFS the sky light was considered to be a single colour but we now use a method called spherical harmonics, described by Ravi Ramamoorthi and Pat Hanrahan. This produces diffuse lighting that is different depending on the direction.

The Hosek and Wilkie sky system can also produce the sun lighting colour depending on the sun's position in the sky. When the more realistic lighting values were used, we found the solid surfaces in game appeared too dark. Researching albedo values in the real world and comparing them with LFS we were able to apply a suitable adjustment, bringing us one step closer to a physically based lighting system. We still need to work on the night system, allowing some lights to be on all the time (e.g. pit garages) while other lights come on only in the night (e.g. flood lights).

We mentioned the problem of exposure in the previous report. When lighting changes in a realistic way there can be very bright or dark scenes so the exposure sometimes needs to be adjusted, just as it does with a real camera. Also there is the issue of very bright and dark areas within a single image. Part of the solution can be to use a high dynamic range (HDR) backbuffer. It uses more memory but allows for very dark or bright pixels to be represented accurately. To present the HDR image to a monitor, which only has a limited range, some kind of tone mapping must be used. You can read a bit more on this page by John Hable. We can now select an HDR backbuffer and tone mapping options in our development version. They have not been used in these screenshots but they may become more important as the night system improves.

Planned development on lighting includes a system to produce clouds in the generated skies and better night support including the brightness of artificial lights and automatic exposure control. Other development topics include getting the new tyre physics up to a good standard for release, and hopefully a system to allow the physics and graphics to run on different threads, making use of the multiple CPU cores.

Finally here's another 24 hour timelapse video of Rockingham, this time a bit longer:

We hope that was interesting for some readers, though it was a bit technical!
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

It seems weird they are still going.

And yet the few times we have raced it on a FNF, it has been excellent.
Sarsippius

Post by Sarsippius »

Anyone notice this thread is now 10 years old :faint:
norbs

Post by norbs »

Sarsippius wrote:Anyone notice this thread is now 10 years old :faint:

Did the Sirocco ship whilst I slept?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: RE: Re: Any news/updates?

Post by w00dsy »

norbs wrote:
Sarsippius wrote:Anyone notice this thread is now 10 years old :faint:

Did the Sirocco ship whilst I slept?
They're going to add it to their vintage car pack.
peter

Post by peter »

Hey all, its been ages but I check every now and then. Have to say been thinking of reinstalling LFS and having spin, was such awesome times and racing back in the days with everyone.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

October Progress Report
Dear Racers,
Thank you for your patience as it's been a long time since the July progress report.
We aren't ready for a full progress report but thought we could say a few words and show you a few things. Eric has been continuing with South City. It's a long job and he has worked more on the roads than the buildings so far. At this point he would rather wait until more buildings are done before showing screen shots.
I've been working on the sky darkness, automatic exposure and white balance that became necessary with the use of the realtime generated skies. The lighting is now separated into lights that are always on and others that only come on at night. I increased the possible intensity of lighting to allow floodlights to work.
I worked on a system to allow us to use realistic camera exposure settings to allow comparisons with photographs from digital cameras. In a manual exposure mode I can now set the ISO, f-stop and shutter speed. It is interesting to see the massive variation in the brightness and therefore the exposure required for a night shot and a day shot. For example a shot taken in street lighting may require around 4000 times the exposure compared with a day shot. A more extreme example is the difference between moonlight and sunlight. The sun is 400 thousand times brighter than a full moon, yet our eyes can adapt to see quite well at those extremes.
I haven't had to make LFS adapt so much but it does have to deal with bright sunlight down to typical street lighting scenes. There is more to be done and the lighting is far from perfect. Anyway I hope you like the attached screenshots and the youtube videos.

Day to night transition at Blackwood:

Day to night transition at Kyoto Ring:
Dukester

petey

Post by petey »

That lighting is pretty good. Definitely worth the wait.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Does anyone even race LFS online anymore? Could you find a race?
norbs

Post by norbs »

somebloke wrote:Does anyone even race LFS online anymore? Could you find a race?

6 of us raced on Friday night. :D
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Haha I know you guys do.

Besides you guys monthly.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Just hurry up & farken release something... Live for Speed, Graphics Progress Report: South City
Hello Racers,
In our July progress report we talked about the realtime sky that allows day to night transitions and showed screenshots of the Kyoto track area. Since then, Eric has been working on South City and Scawen has continued with the lighting. More roads have been opened up and you can drive into the multistorey car parks. Road surfaces, fences, barriers, objects and various buildings have been updated. There is still a way to go but we would like to show you some of the changes so far.
With realistic brightness values, the difference between night and day is very extreme. For example a shot taken in street lighting may need around 4000 times the exposure of a daylight shot. To compare LFS with real photos we have a manual exposure mode with the same settings as a digital camera. In normal use, exposure and white balance are automatically controlled.
A bloom effect has been added for the High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode. This spreads the light out from the brightest points in the image, to simulate the similar effect that happens in a camera or your eyes. In game this helps bright lights or the sun to look a lot brighter.ome recent updates: The sky is now generated on the graphics card, saving CPU time. The sky is updated more than twice per minute around sunset and sunrise. Sun brightness and colour is more accurate. Our shaders have been updated to allow better sky reflections on surfaces that are not perfectly smooth. Headlights now illuminate nearly all objects including other cars.
We hope you like the pictures and videos.
Please check out our earlier reports which show the changes on the other tracks.

Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Sirocco inbound, 2045!
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

I really just dont understand this...