I have an iPhone... I also have questions!

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
SE1Z

Re: I have an iPhone... I also have questions!

Post by SE1Z »

real racing is awesome fun!
Steve
---
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

SE1Z wrote:real racing is awesome fun!
$12.99!? get back to me when its $1.19 :p
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

kwijibo wrote:$12.99!? get back to me when its $1.19 :p
A pack of smokes c'mon :D Closed thing to LFS thats available on the iPhone
SE1Z wrote:real racing is awesome fun!
Yeah chop chop, follow me online. Then its time to fire up the old AAL sunday night qual sessions again mobile phone style.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

wabbit wrote:
kwijibo wrote:$12.99!? get back to me when its $1.19 :p
A pack of smokes c'mon :D Closed thing to LFS thats available on the iPhone
You mean its still in alpha and will remain so for the next 10 years?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

kwijibo wrote:You mean its still in alpha and will remain so for the next 10 years?
Haha, support the Aussie Devs. Atleast Real Racing will get more updates than LFS. 6 player multi is coming shortly.

*edit* Cough need a iPhone games thread :D

Warpack Grunts ($1.19) I found this fun
iTunes Link

[youtube] [/youtube]
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

This *is* the iphone games thread now :)

Monkey Island remake was released today. I think I might grab it over steam instead though.. never did play the original!
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Going all wog for a moment, grabbed Scopa and Briscola for the iphone which was a free app. Got to love a bit of scopa, can't tell you how many games I have played with my mates growing up. In fact its pretty normal to break out the Italian cards after dinner when I am at my mates place.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Is it true the iPhone only supports WEP on WiFi? A guy at work reckons it is WEP only, and I will be damned if I am opening my home network up just to accommodate a phone.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

According to my phone:

WEP
WPA
WPA2
WPA enterprise
WPA2 Enterprise

I have no idea what any of them are.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

as far as i know Norbs it supports all of them, well the new 3G S models at least.
I am forced to use WEP at home due to having a very old w/less card in my 2nd PC, not worth upgrading it just to go WPA when you can simply use Device Mac Filtering as a second security measure. Funny story was that when I got my iPhone I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't connect to my WiFi knowing I was using the correct password. After 2 days of trying I wondered if it was because the new iPhone didn't support the older WEP encryption. Anyway just as I was ready to return it to the shop and claim it was faulty I Google'd to see if I could find out the problem. Low & behold one of the 1st things Apple say on their help site was make sure you add the MAC Address if you have MAC Filtering on. I laugh about it now but what a dunce I felt then :doh:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
markus

Post by markus »

Flinty72 wrote:as far as i know Norbs it supports all of them, well the new 3G S models at least.
I am forced to use WEP at home due to having a very old w/less card in my 2nd PC, not worth upgrading it just to go WPA when you can simply use Device Mac Filtering as a second security measure.
MACs can be spoofed. And if you have the skills to crack wep, you should have the skills to spoof a proper mac so that's not really much of a security measure.

Still, you can have secure wlan without any encryptions.. just make sure nobody gets within the range of signal, that's what I'm using :D
Much cycling such kilometers.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

markus wrote:
Flinty72 wrote:as far as i know Norbs it supports all of them, well the new 3G S models at least.
I am forced to use WEP at home due to having a very old w/less card in my 2nd PC, not worth upgrading it just to go WPA when you can simply use Device Mac Filtering as a second security measure.
MACs can be spoofed. And if you have the skills to crack wep, you should have the skills to spoof a proper mac so that's not really much of a security measure.

Still, you can have secure wlan without any encryptions.. just make sure nobody gets within the range of signal, that's what I'm using :D
Yeah well you can only make it as secure as best you can. If they want to go to all that trouble then there is not much hope no matter what you do.
I figure there are easier targets out there than mine and I have been untouched so far with these measures plus I switch it off when I ain't using it.
It still amazes me how many ppl think they have a secure network to later find out that the default password is so well known yet left unchanged by so many of them.
Dukester

kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I left mine on the default.. i figure my neighbours arent that cluey, and anyone else would have to be pretty desperate for net access to drive around the streets trying out default passwords on every wireless connection they go past.

Typical ARSE thread tangent lol
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

so to pose a question in the iphone question thread

suppose I had one of these iphone thingies but didnt sign up for any data plan

Can I only uses this wi-fi only then? or could it sneak me on to the super expensive 'no data plan' cost structure without me knowing?
--------------
Stu
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Use it however you like, but should you be outside of a wifi spot and you run an app thats heads off to the net... well you'll end up like the old grandfather @ the T-Life store... proper fucked :P
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

wabbit wrote:Use it however you like, but should you be outside of a wifi spot and you run an app thats heads off to the net... well you'll end up like the old grandfather @ the T-Life store... proper fucked :P
So if I was surfing the net at home and my home connection dropped out, would i know that I was now being reamed by my provider? As in does it give you a bell or whistle if your connection changed?
--------------
Stu
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Bauer wrote:So if I was surfing the net at home and my home connection dropped out, would i know that I was now being reamed by my provider? As in does it give you a bell or whistle if your connection changed?
The connection icon changes instantly. Ie: walking up my driveway, it changes from 3G to WiFi. Other than that, you could turn 3G off & Data Roaming but that'll only slow down the fee should you be silly :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

what are peoples thoughts on data?? how much is enough for moderate use? i only really plan to do the occasional browsing.. maybe a few mins a day, an app here and there.. and some emails.

im looking at 3's $49 cap which includes 250MB a month.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

DexterPunk wrote:what are peoples thoughts on data?? how much is enough for moderate use? i only really plan to do the occasional browsing.. maybe a few mins a day, an app here and there.. and some emails.

That's absolutely stacks. I use it moderately and only rack up 100-200mb a month. Don't forget you can use it as a modem for your laptop now (via bluetooth or usb), which can be very handy :yes: So if you think you might use that feature, then you'll need some more data.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I'm with Virgin pre-paid, and i buy 50MB blocks per month, costs $5. I think last month I used about 12MB.. so yeah you don't need much at all.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

i prob would.... but i dont really need to... RMIT has wireless all over the uni... and i have wireless at home. Good point though cheers... and thanks for the info.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Also, I wasn't going to bother getting data.. but you do get a bit on incidental usage and theres no way to actually block it. I managed to cost myself $5 in 5 minutes when I had a brainfade and loaded flickr :) (which by the way, has a very nice interface on the iphone!)
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I say 250mb is enough, unless your going use it for tethering. Just checking I've only gone through 180mb because i didn't have any internet at home for 7 days.
markus

Post by markus »

DexterPunk wrote:what are peoples thoughts on data?? how much is enough for moderate use? i only really plan to do the occasional browsing.. maybe a few mins a day, an app here and there.. and some emails.

Wife has 20MB/month (for free) which is too little quite often.

I have unlimited data, for 9.90EUR a month.

Wow, finally something that's cheaper over here :D
Much cycling such kilometers.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

I reckon you need a plan of some sort just to cover you for when you accidently use the net via the mobile data network, it is just to hard to tell when the iPhone & associated apps are using it.
However there are some great apps that detail free WiFi locations and others that search on the fly so once you have found them you can minimise your data usage by using them anytime you want to browse etc. As Wabbit said the icon shows you instantly if your on WiFi.
The other thing is that you can't download anything over 10mb via iTunes on the mobile data network you have to use a WiFi connection so that helps from blowing your quota out of the water.
Dukester