Fav live performance?

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
thornz

Fav live performance?

Post by thornz »

This is mine, sends shivers down my spine! Would be amazing being a crowd that size listening to this!
[youtube] [/youtube]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Fav live performance?

Post by DexterPunk »

i have a few ive been to...

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.. Fat Mike fom NOFX always plays bass, but Chris Shiflett couldnt make the show, so they got in Warren Fitzgerald from the Vandals to play guitar... two punk rock legends on stage together playing together.. was just awesome... i got to meet them both too, which made it all the more enjoyable. They got an encore, and Warren didn't know any more songs... he came back out, and had mike standing their for about 4-5 mins teaching him the next song.. he'd spent the whole show previous jumping around and going nuts, was so funny watching him intensely concentrating for the first part of the next song... he eventually got it all worked out and was ripping into it.. i was just amazed.

NOFX last time they toured.. my fav band of all time pretty much.... they played one of their songs The Decline, an 18 min long punk rock song. As far as i know they had never played the whole thing live before.. usually just parts of it. In the dunny before the show, a random dude asked what i reckon they will open with, and i said jokingly The Decline.. he agreed that would be rad, but never would have expected it. I kinda wish i knew where that guy was when the opening few chords ripped out, because i know hed be going just as nuts as me... they played the whole damn song.. it must have been exhausting, and they arnt young guys... they'd be all over 40 now, except for the youngest member. Was insanely cool.

Children of Bodom... I think their guitaring/keyboards are just awesome to listen to.. and i always assumed that live, they just wouldnt have the same affect on me... until i saw them live. My jaw hit the fuckin floor. The relentless guitaring, kyboards, and drumming didnt stop... but more impressive is how flawless they are live. Just so tight. Im not a huge metal head, but that rates up there with my fav live performances of all time.

One i can think of that i actually didnt get to see live, was Crowded House's fairwell. Would have been amazing.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

An annual event > viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10016

he he :)

Ill say it again.. Underworld Sydney BDO.. sometime in the late 90's :)
eek
thornz

Post by thornz »

pixelboy wrote:An annual event > viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10016

he he :)

Ill say it again.. Underworld Sydney BDO.. sometime in the late 90's :)
doh! :D
markus

Post by markus »

DexterPunk wrote: Children of Bodom... I think their guitaring/keyboards are just awesome to listen to.. and i always assumed that live, they just wouldnt have the same affect on me... until i saw them live. My jaw hit the fuckin floor .
/me lives about 10 km from Bodom (a lake that's a famous Finnish murder site by the way.) :nod:
Much cycling such kilometers.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Good choice thornz, seen that live and it's awesome!!

My pick has to be Daft Punk though, being such a massive fan, and it was just such a killer visual experience too.
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Prodigy for me i think.

Or from the DJ scene, Armin Van Buuren or Steve Angello/Sebastian Ingrosso.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Greenday
Wollongong Uni
around 1999/2000

Best.show.ever!
Steve
---
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Slipknot, way back in the early days. around 2000 or 2001 or something i Reckon. It was only just after "Spit it Out" had been released. I saw them at Thebby theatre, there was bugger all mosh overflow area like they have now, it was up close and personal to the maddest bastards around. Within the 1st 20 seconds both Corey and Shaun were both in the crowd. Turntables were set alight, they climbed up to the balconies and did back flips into the crowd. They belted each other on stage. All while rattling off an extremely tight set. This is by far the most insane live performance I have ever seen.

Saw them again last year, Their show is a lot more polished these days, which is expected. Still fricken good, just not as chaotic.

Rammstein also put on a killer stage show. With rubber cocks and fake jizz.. lol

Mars Volta are fricken insane too. But it's weird, I really think you need to be a fan to appreciate their show.

apart from that, I will list both Disturbed & Incubus as 2 of the best live acts out there as far as sounding like the album goes. But sometimes you want it to sound a little more Raw.

hmmm, let me list some others I liked.. Static X were good, Korn were good, Chimaira good. And as far as aussie bands go, Jerk were awesome when they existed, also Sunk Loto used to rock it out pretty hard.

Worst acts i have seen, Fear Factory at Sydney Superdome. Had seen them before and loved it, but at that show they blew chunks. In Flames, didn't rate them either.

on the Electro side of things, Carl Cox & Daft Punk have been awesome. I never got to see Daft Punk in the same form as Vil got to, it's always been in smaller clubs and not as good of a show. Always wanted to see Aphex Twin but never got to. Drats.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Big Day Out Shows by Prodigy, RATM, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age and Little Birdy have been killa!

Blink182 at the Entertainment Centre back in 2000 were awesome!

Hilltop Hoods @ Thebby for their DVD release back in 05 was a action packed gig too, plus I got my mug on the DVD a few times :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hz-Lab wrote:Slipknot, way back in the early days. around 2000 or 2001 or something i Reckon.
i believe it prob would have been 2000... thats when i saw them, i don't think they existed long before that, so it would have had to been their first trip to Oz. I thought they were great too... but unfortunately they played at Festival Hall (festy hall)... which had pretty poor sound. Who was the support bands if you can remember Hz? I still have my copy of their first album that i got signed by all the members.... they were all awesome, i gave Corey a manly handshake.... that clown fucker scared me though, just staired at me.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

DexterPunk wrote: Who was the support bands if you can remember Hz?.
Segression played the Adelaide gig with them. Fuck they were a tops Aussie metal band too.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

just remembered, Segression did a kick ass cover of Roots that night. Max would of been proud.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Carl Cox is awesome Hz, my all time fave DJ is Eric Morillo though, 10 hour set till midday at HOME nightclub in 2001 was the best clubbing night of my life.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hz-Lab wrote:just remembered, Segression did a kick ass cover of Roots that night. Max would of been proud.
Yep! same here (played Roots).. was a ripper hey... I wanted to mention that, but i couldnt remember their name... which is why i asked :)
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Hz-Lab wrote:just remembered, Segression did a kick ass cover of Roots that night. Max would of been proud.
hehe, I was at that show too. I was disappointed cos Slipknot didnt play No Life or Diluted.. the two songs I really wanted to hear!

I dunno what my fav gig would be... I'd say probably System of a Down at the palais in Melb.. the entire crowd knew every word - it was great atmosphere. I think that was around 2001 or so? Shortly after toxicity came out.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Led Zep - Knebworth 1979
The Who - Rainbow, London 1979
Pink Floyd - Earls Court 1980 doing The Wall
Fun Lovin Criminals - Manchester Apollo various times
richo

Post by richo »

Midnight Oil at the Ballina RSl club way back in the late 80s early 90s

Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Horden was fucking epic as well , the loudest show i have heard period.
And i finally got to see one of my all time faves The Stray Cats at the Enmore this year , they are fantastic musicians the sound for a three piece is i incredible.
[]D [] []v[] []D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

richo wrote:And i finally got to see one of my all time faves The Stray Cats
I missed it :(