Cycling and bicycle related stuff.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Cycling and bicycle related stuff.

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Well I just went out to Eagle Mountain bike park, and I have proved a theory I always thought was in need of clarification. Junk food is not good for you. I had my niece down for the last few days so we spent most of it travelling around town doing all the fun stuff and eating junk, movie nights and all that shit. anyway, I went for a 12k loop ride, which I have done plenty of times before, and it absolutely hammered me.

It was either that, or the fact I have spent the last couple weeks primarily on the Bitumen, and not used to climbing. Also, used these new drink tablets tonight to attempt to avoid the leg cramping I have been getting. It worked a treat with the legs, but I had a hell of a stitch, which I never get. My mate who I was riding with said the 1st couple times he used this drink he stitched up too. Odd.
might be a combination of all that. I know that if i avoid hills for a while the first ride up a hill is a bit of a struggle, but from then on usually ok. Might just take a bit to convince your body that it's a good idea to ride up a hill ;)

I have on occasion had stomach pains on longer rides due to the amount of gatorade consumed. might be that you get something similar? i usually carry 2 water bottles on a ride, one gatorade, one water and alternate between them. That seem to work for me
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I have a 1.5l Camel Pack with Water in it, then a 700ml bottle with Gatorade, Staminade or one of these mix's in it. I don't reckon it's from over consumption. I feel really good today though, better than I normally do.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

On the junk food thing HZ. When I did the charity ride, one morning I ate Maccas. I felt like shit all day. The rest of the time it was cereals and toast and tea. If I have a big day of riding or anything, I make sure that filth that spews forth from McDonalds isnt on the menu.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah i'm pretty good with that on the day, just seems the few days before got to me as well..lol
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Well, w00dsy got me in a particularly chirpy mood this morning and convinced me to do the Round the Bay in a day ride with him in October. I'm thinking maybe we should put TEAM ARSE together. We could have Flinty as our very own Jens Voigt!! :) Out front for hours on end, with a bunch of fat bastards on flatbars sucking his back wheel. I am sure when he had had enough he could ride off into the distance.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

200km in a day :melt:

I think I could manage the 100km classic.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

norbs.. I think you need a rope attached to he's bike, there is no way most of us would be able to stick to he's wheel for even a short distance. You can't cage the beast.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

norbs wrote:Well, w00dsy got me in a particularly chirpy mood this morning and convinced me to do the Round the Bay in a day ride with him in October

it was interesting listening to you're brain convince yourself 'how far is it? 210km!! fuck me i had trouble with the 110km's, when is it, October? oh maybe i could come down on the friday......ah fuck it i'm in' :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

My stats from todays Tour Down Under Challenge Tour:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64383695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ride profile made it look quite flat, but in reality it was quite undulating.. with lots of 5+% climbs

i head there was about 7500 people taking part so once again, a great turn out and a fantastic atmosphere

CLP
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Great work man, I need to get a roadie, I want to take part in a lot of these events. I'd even make the treck over for that bay ride.

Heading off early in the morning (if i ever get to bed) for another decent treck, Hopefully gonna have a stab at the tonne, Riding with a mate though, we will see how it goes. Will definitely squeeze a good 50 or 60k out though.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Found out about the M7 bike path today. Rode about 12km down and back to see what it was like. 41km overall for the ride. Even with slick tyres on the MTB pumped up as high as I could get them it still felt pushing shit up a hill with a sharp stick.

So, road bikes. Trek 1.5, Cannondale Synapse 6 (if I can find one, nobody seems to list them on their websites). $1400 range with tiagra bits.

Cannondale sounds good because it's supposed to have a smooth ride. Trek sounds good because I can actually find them to buy.

Obviously I'd have to try them before buying, but does that sound a reasonable target for a casual rider or am I barking up the wrong tree? Haven't riden a racer for about 20 years and I was a bit confused at first to see they all look like MTB's with narrow wheels :)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

lol. Out of curiosity, what MTB are you riding now?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Cannondale F500 from about '97.

Like this but in tasty pea green and with handlebar extensions and a rooted head shock (feels nice and grindy when I compress it).

Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Ooh those headshocks look nasty hey lol. How many times u tried to ride it now? U'd be amazed how much progress u make in ur 1st few rides back. It may feel like an effort now but in a week or so u'll shit it in.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I think that was my 5th ride in about a month and a half. Only rode a handful of times last year though so I'm certainly not fit.

My normal route is only about 20km, but very hilly. I rarely get speed up for long so I don't really have a problem with it for that sort of thing. Riding in the 30+kph range on flatter terrain though it's more noticable that it's just not very optimal. Having worn the crown of the slicks flat certainly isn't helping and I'm sure it could use new wheel bearings, but I think that sort of ride would be more enjoyable if I was using the tool designed for the job.

The head shock works really well in my opinion. I've tried a few bikes with conventional suspension in the forks and I didn't like them much. The single shock feels more stable/doesn't twist around as much.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Yeah ur right about the correct tool for the job, a mtb, regardless of how road modded it is will never be a 30 kph bike.

Meanwhile, how do u get ur bikejournal target in ur sig?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 68#p526168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Put your account name in on the page linked there

Edit your profile on bikejournal and
Unckeck private data
Set a 2011 target and make sure Keep goal private option is unchecked

Then go to clubs and add the Australian Cycling Forums one. Don't know if you need an account on their forum of the same name but I created one anyway just in case.

Then you have to wait for midnight or midday for it to read your data. AEST I assume.
Last edited by DarrenM on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

DarrenM wrote:
So, road bikes. Trek 1.5, Cannondale Synapse 6 (if I can find one, nobody seems to list them on their websites). $1400 range with tiagra bits.

Cannondale sounds good because it's supposed to have a smooth ride. Trek sounds good because I can actually find them to buy.

Obviously I'd have to try them before buying, but does that sound a reasonable target for a casual rider or am I barking up the wrong tree? Haven't riden a racer for about 20 years and I was a bit confused at first to see they all look like MTB's with narrow wheels :)
if you can stretch your budget to about the $1700 mark then you start getting into the Shimano 105 territory which is a significant step up from tiagra. Miss V got her Avanti for about that price, which includes mostly 105 components, with tiagra brake calipers.

Giant and Avanti are generally good value bicycles, as are the Malvern Star Oppy range.

CLP
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

knocked off 75k's thismorning. lovely, got burnt, not so lovely.
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/James-Courtneys- ... 0550129363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:Well, w00dsy got me in a particularly chirpy mood this morning and convinced me to do the Round the Bay in a day ride with him in October. I'm thinking maybe we should put TEAM ARSE together. We could have Flinty as our very own Jens Voigt!! :) Out front for hours on end, with a bunch of fat bastards on flatbars sucking his back wheel. I am sure when he had had enough he could ride off into the distance.
wobblysauce wrote:norbs.. I think you need a rope attached to he's bike, there is no way most of us would be able to stick to he's wheel for even a short distance. You can't cage the beast.
All you will need is this and I'll get you "around the bay" in no time. :lol:
http://www.bicyclebungee.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Umm, seriously I have never done this event as it's always been too close to the Warnie or some other big race on my calendar. Even when I have thought I might tick it off my bucket list it hasn't really excited me due to the long wait to get the ferry & traverse across to the other side.
However you blokes might just inspire me to do it this year I think it would be a hoot to meet & ride with my fellow ARSE-cyclists.
Best thing for me is I wouldn't even need to train for it (did I just say that out aloud)...but 210k's is along way no matter how fast you can go...

My only advice is to get your entry in early so that you can pick the anti-clockwise direction, you want to get the Melbourne to Geelong section done 1st.
It's boring, flat and at that time of year can blow a mean westerley block-headwind. Most participants will want to do the same hence get in early.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Dusted the cobwebs off the old mountain bike yesterday. Goddamn I am unfit. I did 12kms and it took me 55mins. Had a massive hill to get up near home which nearly killed me.. Had it down to gear 1-1 and was hardly moving :rofl:

I have a weird problem where when I excersize my legs by way of squats or riding up hills in a tough gear, I get really nauseous.. not a good thing when riding a bike :) Probably just need to get used to it.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Awesome stuff kwij, if you find you take a fancy to it we'll have to organize a bit of ARSE single track action, with En-J, CLP and his missus and whoever else we can rope in. There are some decent rides up through the hill which would be a blast as a group, with plenty of places to stop and have a breather / lunch.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Yeah I think it'll be awhile before I can handle the hills. My neighbourhood is hilly enough
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Every one has to start some where Kwijbo.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.