Cycling and bicycle related stuff.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Cycling and bicycle related stuff.

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:I did 50km's today, copped a sore arse again too. I def need some cushion. I saw yours pop up on facebook woodsy, Job well done. Like CLP said, drink plenty and regularly. I was making sure I was taking a drink at every 5km's today, and I felt bloody ripper at the end of it. I took off on a 10km walk straight after for a warm down.. . Got my average up and over 20kmph now which i'm happy with, infact today it was at the 21kph mark until the last 100 metres or so. I was site seeing at the end, some ladies fun run thing or something.. mmmmmmmmmm.

Looked at some new bikes today too, of the 29'er variety, bugger that 26" wheel stuff off, give me a monster truck!
good job! 50km on a MTB is a fair slog! on or off road?

A mate of mine is buying a 29er soon from the US. about 6k worth :o
when i was looking about for a MTB pretty much every store i went into told me i was probably too short for a 29er :( they do look pretty awesome though! :D
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Good to see your clocking up a few ks there lads :) Good luck with th ride tomorrow CLP hope it's not to hot . I got home from work early yesterday so decided to do the 103k round trip from Seven Hills to Mt Bowen and back in the afternoon heat :rolleyes: reasonably flat run to Nth Richmond but after that a steady climb to the top , 20% gradients last couple of ks near Wattle St :( , thought my chest was going to burst near the end of the climb .

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&xh ... CBsQ8gEwAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

mrleisure wrote:Good to see your clocking up a few ks there lads :) Good luck with th ride tomorrow CLP hope it's not to hot . I got home from work early yesterday so decided to do the 103k round trip from Seven Hills to Mt Bowen and back in the afternoon heat :rolleyes: reasonably flat run to Nth Richmond but after that a steady climb to the top , 20% gradients last couple of ks near Wattle St :( , thought my chest was going to burst near the end of the climb .

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&xh ... CBsQ8gEwAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
awesome effort! 20% gradients = pain :( are you running a compact crank on that bike? I have the Tour Down Under Challenge tour next friday which has a climb averaging 14%. i just don't think i have the legs/gearing for it in my current level of conditioning. i have a compact crank on order from Germany as we speak but suspect it won't find its way onto the bike before that ride.

Tommorrows ride should be much more relaxed.. and the weather looks like it'll be pretty mild too.

Anyone on here coming over for the Tour Down Under?

CLP
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

CLP wrote:good job! 50km on a MTB is a fair slog! on or off road?
Was easier than the 90km ride I did the week before...lol.

Todays run was from the City to West Beach along the Linear Park and then down the Coast to do a lap of West Lakes then Back. I take any opportunity to hit some dirt along that ride but the western side of the city that trail only has about maybe 3km of single track. To the Northeast of the city there is probably about 7 or 8 k's worth of offroad. But mainly the run is on bitumen. I got some pretty chunky tyres on the thing that makes it feel like twice the distance too..lol
w00dsy wrote:i made sure i always had a drink, my bottle is about 500ml i guess and when that was gone i stopped at a shop and grabbed another. I'm tipping it wasn't enough though because when i stopped again for the final top up i got a 1.25 of water and had maybe half that while i sat and rested, put the rest in my bottle and had that on the last 10kms. I also got some snacks at each stop so i had energy. I feel really good now though, it was pretty hot here today(29) too so i'm tipping i needed more fluids than i had. I might try and grab another bottle.
I run a 1.5L Camel Pack with water then normally take a Drink Bottle full of Electrolytes. Powerade or Staminade or something, mainly to help with cramping. 1.5 is normally enough for my offroad rides which are normally only a bit over an hour long, but these longer rides I have been doing I have had to top the camel pack up and refill the "ades" at the halfway point. I drink a lot more than I feel like drinking on the ride, but I have learnt as I have been hit with epic Headaches after some recent rides due to dehydration.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

CLP wrote:are you running a compact crank on that bike? CLP
No mate just the standard 170mm , 53/39 and 12/25 cluster . It was a bit of a struggle for me though , I'm not really used to climbing that steep for that length , I really need a 27 or 28 for that kind of stuff .

HZ and Woodsy give the Endura MAX http://www.sportyshealth.com.au/endura- ... -6342.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a go in your drink bottles :yes: , was recomended to me and seems to work well :nod: .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

awesome, I'll give it a shot. I just got some "Zero High" tablets, They are supposed to help cramping and muscle recovery as well. We'll find something.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Ride like Crazy.. done :)
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63602302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yeah yeah.. i know i'm not a speed demon :P

have to say, the event as a whole was extremely well organised, full credit to SAPOL.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

good work man, but when the hell did you hit 239rpm cadence? lol that's some pedaling.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:good work man, but when the hell did you hit 239rpm cadence? lol that's some pedaling.
lol .. would explain why the legs are tired! ;)
would be nice if the garmin connect site could filter out readings like that.. it's a result of backpedalling just after the cadence magnet has passed the sensor, so it triggers it twice in a super short time..

here's a photo from on the road :) cyclists as far as the eye can see! :yes:
IMG_0055_0800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah, couldn't of been arsed riding up that hill thismorning.. lol
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Terrific effort from all the cyclARSEts. We should put a target together for a combined effort from all the blokes in here. Something like 10,000kms combined or 30,000kms if Arsestrong joins on.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Terrific effort from all the cyclARSEts. We should put a target together for a combined effort from all the blokes in here. Something like 10,000kms combined or 30,000kms if Arsestrong joins on.
Sounds good!
:yes:

CLP
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote:Terrific effort from all the cyclARSEts. We should put a target together for a combined effort from all the blokes in here. Something like 10,000kms combined or 30,000kms if Arsestrong joins on.
Sounds good!
:yes:

CLP
Count me in too Norbs....just under 17,000 k's last year but I reckon I'll be around my normal 12 month average of around 12-13,000 this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Flinty72 wrote: Count me in too Norbs....just under 17,000 k's last year but I reckon I'll be around my normal 12 month average of around 12-13,000 this year.
show off :P

i just fail to hit my goal of 5000km last year.. :(

CLP
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

I have been looking at Soul Ti bikes http://bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, had a bit of a chuckle when I saw this on their components page :D , like the look of their gear though :yes:

Well done on the ride CLP

In for the combined target :) , I should be around the 9000+k mark going on current progress :) Bloody showoff Flinty :lol:

norbs

Post by norbs »

Lets see who else is keen and I will post a target. Then we just need people to update this thread once a month or so to see how we are going.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I'm keen, won't be figures like yours, but every little bit helps
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Did this with my father 2 weeks ago

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 10643&z=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

10km of it is dirt which is of course the time it chose to piss down rain. Apart from that it was a nice ride. Don't think I'd want to do it on a weekend because St Albans road is pretty tight and twisty, but there was very little traffic when we went.

I need a new trip computer and something to help me get out riding again. Contributing to an arse target should help, but I don't normally do long rides so don't expect much. I think if I did 2000km I'd be happy :)
Speed

Post by Speed »

Emjay & I did a touch over 3,000 k's last year & will probably do at least that again, this year.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norbs

Post by norbs »

So lets see. We have :

Flinty aka ARSEstrong for 12,000
Mr Leisure 9,000
norbs 6000
Clp 5000
w00dsy 4000
Speed 3000
EmJay 3000
DarrenM 2000
HZ 2000

So it is getting close enough to 50,000 to make that a target me thinks. We might pick up another cyclist or 2 along the way. :)

And a breakdown (based on the total of the goals, not 50,000)...

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

I stopped at about 5k last year, when the weather turned bad, been lazy and driving ever since.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Norbs you have way to much time on your hands, use it to get on the bike & smash that 6k this year.

Looks sweet 50 thou looks pretty achievable and what a fantastic target.

Can't wait to see everyone's progress through the year.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Speed wrote:Emjay & I did a touch over 3,000 k's last year & will probably do at least that again, this year.
is that on a tandem? Were you dinking her down to the shops? If so that may only count as 3k not 6k :p
Speed

Post by Speed »

w00dsy wrote:
Speed wrote:Emjay & I did a touch over 3,000 k's last year & will probably do at least that again, this year.
is that on a tandem? Were you dinking her down to the shops? If so that may only count as 3k not 6k :p
She was on my handlebars so I reckon it's worth double the effort....I say 6k. :)
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Well I just went out to Eagle Mountain bike park, and I have proved a theory I always thought was in need of clarification. Junk food is not good for you. I had my niece down for the last few days so we spent most of it travelling around town doing all the fun stuff and eating junk, movie nights and all that shit. anyway, I went for a 12k loop ride, which I have done plenty of times before, and it absolutely hammered me.

It was either that, or the fact I have spent the last couple weeks primarily on the Bitumen, and not used to climbing. Also, used these new drink tablets tonight to attempt to avoid the leg cramping I have been getting. It worked a treat with the legs, but I had a hell of a stitch, which I never get. My mate who I was riding with said the 1st couple times he used this drink he stitched up too. Odd.