Cycling and bicycle related stuff.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Cycling and bicycle related stuff.

Post by CLP »

kwijibo wrote:Yeah I think it'll be awhile before I can handle the hills. My neighbourhood is hilly enough
Out of interest, where is your neighbourhood?

CLP
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Awesome stuff kwij, if you find you take a fancy to it we'll have to organize a bit of ARSE single track action, with En-J, CLP and his missus and whoever else we can rope in. There are some decent rides up through the hill which would be a blast as a group, with plenty of places to stop and have a breather / lunch.
I think I'd be interested in that.. mentioned it to Miss V and i think she is keen too.

Cheers,
CLP
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Chalked up another 60 odd yesterday, but didnt come close to the w00dsy's effort. I will let him talk about it, but it was a top effort on his part.

I will put some video up tonight of one of my hill climbs. It was 32C yesterday when I was doing it and all you can hear is heavy breathing. It sounds like a phone call from HZ!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

32c hill climbing doesn't sound like fun. It was about 26 yesterday arvo when I went for a ride, but there was a nice breeze so it wasn't too bad. Apart from on the way back when it was a headwind most of the way.

I bought a floor pump and put the tyres up to 70psi. I'd only been getting 50 with the hand pump. Felt a lot better so I went and bought some 650x23c tyres today. Hopefully that'll be a cheaper solution than buying another bike :)

Supposed to be hot on Wednesday as well. Might try something coastal like Thirroul to Lake Illawarra/Kiama.
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:32c hill climbing doesn't sound like fun. It was about 26 yesterday arvo when I went for a ride, but there was a nice breeze so it wasn't too bad. Apart from on the way back when it was a headwind most of the way.

I bought a floor pump and put the tyres up to 70psi. I'd only been getting 50 with the hand pump. Felt a lot better so I went and bought some 650x23c tyres today. Hopefully that'll be a cheaper solution than buying another bike :)

Supposed to be hot on Wednesday as well. Might try something coastal like Thirroul to Lake Illawarra/Kiama.

Wow, down the 23s straight away. Are you sure they will fit the rims?

Darren, have a gander at this for a guide.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't remember what bike you had, but if it is a hybrid hyou might find those tyres to thin for the rim. I am not game to go under 28mm for my bike. I started at 40mm and it is a huge difference.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Yeah, I've got 1.5" (38mm) at the moment so it's a fair drop. I wanted 1.25" or so, but I've been to 3 shops and these are the only tyres I could find smaller than what I have.

I saw the guide when I was looking around. They do seem a bit narrow but the guy at the bike shop assured me they'll be fine. I'll put one on tonight and if they don't look right I'll just take them back and call him a numpty.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

norbs wrote:Chalked up another 60 odd yesterday, but didnt come close to the w00dsy's effort. I will let him talk about it, but it was a top effort on his part.

80km's but nothing special, was just a very long ride and ended up with a sore coyte. Always wanted to ride from my place to my parents place so i did. It went well apart from the last 29km which was the bellarine rail trail from geelong to queensliff following the train line. When i first hit, it was a lovely smooth hot mix surface, but that only lasted a couple of km's and then it went to gravel. So it made the last part of the journey a bit fucked. I couldn't wait to get off when i got there. Next time i'll go via the main road and it'll be quite a bit quicker.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Awesome stuff Rod, it's amazing how quickly you can get yourself up to tackling those distances, When I 1st thought of having a crack at the 80/90 k's mark, I thought it would take me a long time training, i did it some 4 days after really even thinking of it.. ha.

Just out of curiosity though, you guys possibly think it's time Arse had it's own Cycling sub-forum? with the increase of cyclists on here and different disciplines it's not long before it's going to be too hard to follow, also with the group goal thing a separate thread/subforum will make it a lot easier to track. thoughts?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

I don't know if it is good bad or just marketing?
RRP: $2,700.00
Pay: $799.00
Save 70%

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Colnago-Fer ... gory=68416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ferrari CX-50 Alloy Carbon Hardtail Mountain Bike 27 Speed with Shimano LX-Deore

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

It's got some half decent bits on it... probably worth the $700 but I'd sooner go for something proven than a fancy name.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Well, the width of those tyres isn't going to be an issue. They're too large for the rim. Oh well, it's been a learning excercise. i.e. don't rely on store assistance when buying something that would seem basic. Still, from cluster fuck of "standard" tyre sizes out there it's not too surprising.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/26/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Brown's Law Of Tire Sizing:

If two tires are marked with sizes that are mathematically equal,
but one is expressed as a decimal and the other as a fraction,
these two tires will not be interchangeable."

lulz
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

yep fun things bike standards, I just put some Continental Sport Contact MTB Slick Tyre 26 x 1.3 on order.. ISO on the knobbys(1.9) are 50-559.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

CLP wrote:
kwijibo wrote:Yeah I think it'll be awhile before I can handle the hills. My neighbourhood is hilly enough

CLP
Ridgehaven/Redwood Park
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

DarrenM wrote:Found out about the M7 bike path today. Rode about 12km down and back to see what it was like. 41km overall for the ride.
Good stuff :yes: , I do quite a bit of riding on that . It's a pity its only open as far as Rooty Hill atm with all the repairs going on but I believe it is due to be finished at the end of March . I rode out to the begining of the works last week and then along Wallgrove Rd and rode the M7 shoulder to Prestons and back to Seven Hills , a bit boring and flat compared to the shared path , won't be doing it again .

I did 60ks in the hills Saturday afternoon . There are a couple of good climbs around Dundas Valley , Eastwood , Epping , Ryde , Pennant Hills areas which are challenging and I was going to ride out on the M7 path to do a few more ks after that but riding back through Nth Parramatta I came around a corner to find oil/grease on the road , not much I could do by the time I saw it and I went down :( , luckily there wasn't much damage done just a bit of skin off and a few scratches on the bike , got back on and rode home . I felt a bit sore on Sunday but went riding anyway and clocked up another 75ks in the hills :) , should be up around the 900klm mark for this month :D .

Well done Woodsy :yes: , didn't take you long to be doing rides like that .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

kwijibo wrote:
CLP wrote:

CLP
Ridgehaven/Redwood Park
ah yeah.. getting towards the foothills. nice place to get your hill climbing fitness up in a short time though! :D

CLP
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

wobblysauce wrote:Continental Sport Contact MTB Slick Tyre 26 x 1.3 on order..
I think they had those at Clarence St Cyclery so I'll probably just exchange. Continental have a 26x1 1/8" tyre for MTB's as well. I'd prefer those if I can find some.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... in_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where did you order from?
mrleisure wrote:It's a pity its only open as far as Rooty Hill atm with all the repairs going on but I believe it is due to be finished at the end of March .
That's where I got to on Sunday but it worked out well because I was ready to turn around by that time. Took me 50 mins to get there and 70 to get back. That's my benchmark to improve on now.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

£17.21 @ http://www.probikekit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , ATM exchange rate is quite good.
£17.56 @ http://www.wiggle.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but "Not available for despatch to Australia."

Quick look for Gators best I could find is

Conti Ultra Gatorskin $59.00 @ Cell
Last edited by wobblysauce on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

mrleisure wrote: Well done Woodsy :yes: , didn't take you long to be doing rides like that .
cheers, i've been riding on and off for a year or two, but i go through phases. I concentrated on running a bit more at the end of last year cos i wanted to do a 12km fun run, plus my bike got stolen mid year. Then i got a decent new one last last year and have now concentrated this year on riding alone. It's much easier of my fat bones than running.
pab

Post by pab »

kwijibo wrote:Ridgehaven/Redwood Park
Hey, that's where I am, right <looks over should to see if Kwiji is standing behind him watching him /> now!
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Thanks wobbly. Found these, but the 26x1.1 size are $93 :shake:
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/schwalbe ... tyres.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only $50 from the UK though.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

pab wrote:
Hey, that's where I am, right <looks over should to see if Kwiji is standing behind him watching him /> now!
:rofl: if you see a guy struggling up a hill at snails pace, it could well be me
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

np, nice video about Schwalbe.
[youtube] [/youtube]

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

pab

Post by pab »

kwijibo wrote:
pab wrote:
:rofl: if you see a guy struggling up a hill at snails pace, it could well be me
Well, I didn't want to sound rude after your first post, but I reckon I could run 12k in 55 mins, my one and only city to bay (12.5K), which, admittedly was 10 years or so ago now, I ran in 46 minutes, so I reckon I could still go close to 12 in 55, so perhaps I could head out for a run when you do a ride :) (he says ignoring the fact that your ride was up hills and my run was on the flat).
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Awesome, good find, I do love my schwalbes'
norbs

Post by norbs »

If we get a few on the Bay ride, you'll have to produce some special commemorative jerseys Hurts.

Now, about a sub forum. Do people think we need one?