Tom Tom GPS Nav for iPhone

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Bauer

Re: Tom Tom GPS Nav for iPhone

Post by Bauer »

Lol. Missed that :)
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Yep

Taswegian Cat, two heads and a map pocket...
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

:D
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Got my trial version on the weekend :D had a bit of a play around with it and used it for some trips that I made

I had a Nokia 6110 Navigator before the iPhone and have been hanging out for a good GPS

Also tried the Sygic GPS as well but didn't really like it

I think the TomTom is good, the silly thing I found that when it displays the red light and speed camera warnings the zoom minus button covers it a bit

I'm gonna wait till they have an app and cradle package before deciding on if I'll buy the app on its own or both at the same time
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Brett_S wrote:I'm gonna wait till they have an app and cradle package before deciding on if I'll buy the app on its own or both at the same time
I'm pretty sure the only way of distributing applications is on iTunes. So the cradle will either be sold separately only, or perhaps with an iTunes voucher... who knows.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I'd suggest it'll turn up on the Apple store iPhone accessories page. With next day delivery like most items.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Question is, does it tell you speedcameras Redlight camera and school zones as well. Perhaps the most valuable thing i have on the Garmin.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Nigel wrote:Question is, does it tell you speedcameras Redlight camera and school zones as well. Perhaps the most valuable thing i have on the Garmin.
So far it has told me (stop-light) speed cameras and redlight cameras. Not sure about school zones...
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Just be aware if you are caught using your iPhone by the constabulary as a GPS device you can still get a ticketed for using a phone whilst driving. There is no distinction in the law, between using a phone as a communications device or as a positioning device.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

god they would have to be an arsehole cop wouldnt they... fair enough if its not on a cradle and in your hand or something... but imagine getting a fine while its on its cradle.

also, i hope this ridiculous new law coming in causes a major outcry and they remove it... not sure if its nationwide, but i heard on the radio last week that soon us victorians will get a $260 fine and 3 demerit points taken away by talking on a phone while driving.......... when you have it on hands free. :eyepop: Are they going to ban conversation with your passenger as well??? Just ridiculous!! even blutooth enabled hands free will be illegal. They have gone too far in my opinion.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

DexterPunk wrote: but imagine getting a fine while its on its cradle.
One poor bloke already has. $250 and 4 points.

Apparently the copper told him to get a "proper" GPS
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

jesus christ, id be disputing it.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

DexterPunk wrote:god they would have to be an arsehole cop wouldnt they... fair enough if its not on a cradle and in your hand or something... but imagine getting a fine while its on its cradle.

also, i hope this ridiculous new law coming in causes a major outcry and they remove it... not sure if its nationwide, but i heard on the radio last week that soon us victorians will get a $260 fine and 3 demerit points taken away by talking on a phone while driving.......... when you have it on hands free. :eyepop: Are they going to ban conversation with your passenger as well??? Just ridiculous!! even blutooth enabled hands free will be illegal. They have gone too far in my opinion.
Havent heard anything to that effect in SA - I thought I heard something about P platers not being able to use hands free though. You're right.. its gone too far. How could they even tell though? I'd just say I was singing to the radio :nod:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah i know, its really hard to enforce... unless i had my earphone in on my iphone... is it illegal to listen to music on earphone while you drive?? i imagine it would be.

.... i would rage if a cop told me my iphone wasn't a 'proper GPS'.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I have a proper GPS and it syncs via bluetooth to my phone, so I can use the GPS as a hands free kit (it has inbuilt mic and speaker)... quite the conundrum for the enforcing office I would think lol

"No sir, I am talking to my GPS, not my phone"
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

HAHA hands free phone usage is now illegal.... unless you have an iphone, and are using it as a GPS.... or have a GPS that you can take calls on :S just crazy stuff.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

kwijibo wrote:"No sir, I am talking to my GPS, not my phone"
Too bad if you forgot to turn it off or mute it when your pulled over "Turn Left 100m. Jennifers Adult Playhouse and Boutique is 3rd on the Left"

Officer looks at you, "Move along, nothing to see here"
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/27916/532/

Victoria will soon change their laws, so any device thats primary purpose is a phone (iPhone!) can no longer be used for GPS whilst driving.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

r8response wrote:http://www.itwire.com/content/view/27916/532/

Victoria will soon change their laws, so any device thats primary purpose is a phone (iPhone!) can no longer be used for GPS whilst driving.
It is legal to have it in a cradle on the dash though - you just aren't allowed to touch it (not sure if that same rule applies to regular GPS's)

I wonder if the phone has no sim card - its primary purpose ceases to be a phone?
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

kwijibo wrote:
r8response wrote:http://www.itwire.com/content/view/27916/532/

It is legal to have it in a cradle on the dash though - you just aren't allowed to touch it (not sure if that same rule applies to regular GPS's)

I wonder if the phone has no sim card - its primary purpose ceases to be a phone?
Seems thats a way to get around it, in NSW at least :nod:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

what about an ipod touch?? its not a phone.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

DexterPunk wrote:what about an ipod touch?? its not a phone.
And doesn't have a gps? :lol:
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

r8response wrote:Just be aware if you are caught using your iPhone by the constabulary as a GPS device you can still get a ticketed for using a phone whilst driving. There is no distinction in the law, between using a phone as a communications device or as a positioning device.
They were talking about it on the radio this morning (abc).

Not GPS related, but is it illegal to operate an mp3 player in a moving vehicle?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Oh yeah iPod touch has no gps.. Aparently it will work with the cradle though. And I'd like to know about mp3 player or ear phones in while driving.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

plastik8 wrote:
Brett_S wrote:I'm gonna wait till they have an app and cradle package before deciding on if I'll buy the app on its own or both at the same time
I'm pretty sure the only way of distributing applications is on iTunes. So the cradle will either be sold separately only, or perhaps with an iTunes voucher... who knows.
Speaking of cradles, the window sucker / cradle on the Garman fell apart, anyone know where you can get another one ??
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.