Tom Tom GPS Nav for iPhone

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Gusto

Re: Tom Tom GPS Nav for iPhone

Post by Gusto »

DexterPunk wrote:Oh yeah iPod touch has no gps.. Aparently it will work with the cradle though. And I'd like to know about mp3 player or ear phones in while driving.
Logically, if the ear/headphones aren't closed (they allow sound in), then they should be as safe as surround speakers. If they're closed, then it's the same as having a big audio system up loud. Just as long as you're not playing audio of engine sounds and car crashes in stereo. Not sure what the law says though...
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

i wouldnt have thought its any worse than having a stereo on in the car... you can make either too loud to hear traffic.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I personally don't feel any type of headphones should allowed when driving a car. But hey, lucky i don't make the rules :P
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

they prob arnt???

why do you think that though?? i dont see how its different to a stereo in the car
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

its a HUGE difference..

I cant hear anything else when I have my headphones on.. when driving you need to hear other cars, horns, police sirens etc..

I agree, headphones should be banned.. iphones as GPS shouldnt
eek
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

pixelboy wrote:its a HUGE difference..
Cheers pixelboy. The difference between any type of headphones to car speakers is huge. As no matter how "open" the headphones are they still block more of the surrounding environment noise. Its not about how loud either speakers are played at.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I was talking about ear phones not headphones, I can have those in my ears with nothing playing and hear perfectly. I can also have music playing softly and talk to someone. I can also drive my car with music blasting so loud I wouldnt be able to hear a siren if it was on my own roof.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

DexterPunk wrote:I was talking about ear phones not headphones, I can have those in my ears with nothing playing and hear perfectly.
Same, I know I said headphones but I did mean both :) I do see your point but rules aren't set for the best device/vehicle, Its the worst. The speed limit of a corner isn't so Ferrari's can make it easily at speed. Its so the trucks & 20 yr old cars can aswell in poor conditions. Safety is the number one priority (that normal line DTMR or the RTA dribbles when the times right).

So in that theory not all ear/head phones are the same (closed vs open). This is why I would prefer the use of them to be ruled out while driving. While I was deciding on my preference. I just thought about the 3 sound fields when driving. Your ear canal, cabin area & the surrounding area from the vehicle. Headphones are right up against your ear, while car speakers compete with car own noise and from external sources.

Off topic, Dex you might be the type of people i hate when using public transport. Those farkin open earphones work both ways. And no one else wants to hear "your shit music" I must remember to carry a pair of scissors in my back pack. Won't need to tell them a 2nd time then *snip* :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

lol nah, im too worried about destroying my ears to have my music loud enough to irritate anyone.

why im interested in the ruling on earphone while driving, is that the iphone has the earphones as hands free. If it wasnt illegal to listen to music on your ipod etc while driving, i imagine you could tell them you werent talking on your phone, just listening to music.

Ive now heard that you can drive and talk on hands free if its a proper blue tooth setup in the car. Shouldn't truck drivers and couriers with CB's etc be banned?
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

DexterPunk wrote: Ive now heard that you can drive and talk on hands free if its a proper blue tooth setup in the car. Shouldn't truck drivers and couriers with CB's etc be banned?
Cops use CB's too :)

They specifically pointed out these werent banned last year I think, after some confusion about it.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Some fucker nicked my satnav. Gone for the iphone tomtom So far I like it better than the Garmin, though I will say its lags a bit compared to a stand alone unit.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Yeah get the car kit to solve the lag issues
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

Agreed. But if you place it on top of your dash (right below your windscreen) then it will perform much better. Having it down near the centre console it is considerably worse.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Nigel wrote:Some fucker nicked my satnav. Gone for the iphone tomtom So far I like it better than the Garmin, though I will say its lags a bit compared to a stand alone unit.

did you have a break in??
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Nah, nicked it out of the car after I took some stuff inside and forgot to lock the car. My own fault really. I look at the positives, I never reallly liked the Garmin anyway. So far the TomTom is kicking its arse in terms of a GPS unit which says something. Not sure I will get the TomTom car kit though, looking at it, that's almost as much a red flag for someone nicking it as leaving the GPS in the car, given what it does.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

I was thinking of getting a dedicated TomTom soon. Would you recommend the app instead?
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Well I had the Garmin 260W and while that was a good unit, the TomTom app is better which surrised me a little. So I am pretty happy with it.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography