IAAF World Championships

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!

IAAF World Championships

Post by Gizmo »

I havn't seen any talk of the Athletic World Champs... Is anyone watching them? Bolt ran a great race. 9.53 what an insane time!

I'm not sure if anyone has heard about Caster Semenya. Before these champs she was an unknown, now the female world champion. And i say female loosely. Theres been a lot of talk weather she is in fact a women or not. But South Africa say she has been tested (including a visual exam) and she is a women. I would like to see an independent chromosome test done as nations are not always the most honest. With 180m to go she ran away from the field so easily. They went though the first lap in 56seconds, which for women is very fast, and she looked as if she was just coasting. The arms are hardly pumping, the knee lift and stride length is as if she isn't even trying. Gender aside, "she" is a very talented runner. To be able to run 1:55 at only 18....wow.

Watch Jenny Medows of the last 100m of that race. To come from 3rd last to 3rd.....

And Sanya Richards finally got the the hoodoo off her back and won gold at a major championship, that was great to see :)

Maybe i should put on a wig and some makeup, i would of ran 2nd :rofl:

[youtube] [/youtube]
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Re: IAAF World Championships

Post by Big Kev »

God knows why the gender test takes 3 weeks.
People in the lab next door to mine regularly look at chromosomes and identify them. Only takes a few hours. You can even do a simple digestion or DNA probe to distinguish between XX and XY. It's a couple of days tops.

Amazing runs by Bolt though.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

I think it's not quite as simple as even a chromosome test. As I understand it, the athlete must be "entirely female".

There's a good description of the complexities of the issue here: http://www.sportsscientists.com/2009/08 ... emale.html
:teach:
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

She didn't run a WR time, so she could be the real thing.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

There is a good reason she didn't run a WR. "She's" only 18. Which is very, very young for elite athlete.