AFL Grand Final

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Dr. Pain

AFL Grand Final

Post by Dr. Pain »

Can't find a thread about it so I'll start one.

It was fair dinkum unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go you bloody Cats! :)

A great game. It was just an arm wrestle and being a Geelong supporter it was like a friggin roller coaster. This is a better win than '07.

As Tom Harley said "We are Geelong!" :)
Minister for Religious Genocide.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: AFL Grand Final

Post by DexterPunk »

Was fairly unhappy with the result. I'm not a saints fan but I wanted them to win, I think most people who weren't Geelong fans did. But I did enjoy the game, it was a hard slog that one. I feel like saints wanted it more, their courage and desparation was just intense. But the end of the day they wasted too many chances and choked when it mattered. Lack of finals experience I think. Cats kept cooler and more focused.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

great great game. I didn't care who won it, but was going for Geelong as some family and friends are supporters. Gram for the saints played an amazing game. Would've won the norm smith had the saints clinched it

Feeling a bit seedy now though!
Montey

Post by Montey »

Geelong didn't win that, the Saints lost it.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

pretty much Montey...
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I don't like afl much but that was a cracking game

hard as!
eek
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

Montey wrote:Geelong didn't win that, the Saints lost it.
How did they not win it... They played better football then the saints and that's what the score shows.
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
Montey

Post by Montey »

Dan wrote:
Montey wrote:Geelong didn't win that, the Saints lost it.
How did they not win it... They played better football then the saints and that's what the score shows.
The final, total, score might show Geelong winning it, but the statistics say that the only thing Geelong did better was conversion of scoring opportunities in to goals.

For example, scoring shots: StKilda: 23 vs Geelong 20 (if all attempts on goal were goals, then the final score would have been 138 vs 120 in favor of StKilda).

I also recall (as I don't have access to the data, but did hear it during a radio interview) that StKilda had more inside-50's and also lead all the way thru the game, only going behind in the last few minutes.

I don't begrudge Geelong the win, both teams were worthy to be the champions, but it would be a bit much for Geelong to say that they won that game completely thru their own brilliant performance. In fact during the game Malcolm Blight said that Geelong were atrocious and it was only StKilda's poor conversion that was keeping them in it. Even Thomson during a post match interview strongly implied Geelong were lucky to get the win.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yep, geelong simply choked when it mattered... i knew those 3 goals or so were gunna come back to bite them, geelong arnt the kinda side that wont have their purple patch in a game. Geelong also got a goal when it clearly hit the post, big blue by the umpire there. I don't mind Geelong winning, i just wanted to see st kilda win it more... been 40 odd years and i have two of my best mates who are die hard fans.
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

Heh, I wanted to see St Kilda win as much as the nexy guy... I had $100 down for Lenny hayes to win the norm smith medal @ $17 =[
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Dan wrote:Heh, I wanted to see St Kilda win as much as the nexy guy... I had $100 down for Lenny hayes to win the norm smith medal @ $17 =[
That bet was looking good in the first quarter. He was on fire
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

I really enjoyed the game and kept changing who I wanted to win. I did see a couple of stupid "dives" from some of the Saints players, I thought some of their back man lost focus at time. In the end I would have felt sorry for Gelong because I think they deserved the flag. But it was pretty sad for the saints, especially the build up where they wheeled out the old players from their first premiership. They are all pretty desperate for the club to get another flag.

The best thing about footy, "There's always next year".

But Richmond will win the flag next year so...... Saints will have to wait 45 years at least :D
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

My work has an AFL comp which I'm in but failing... probably because I don't watch AFL. Anywho, last weekend was the first time in two years of AFL tipping I got a perfect round. Thanks Cats!! :D

Out of 366 players, only 58 of us tipped the Cats.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Mostly not footy fans then? They were favourites.