Baraka

Chat about stuff you've seen
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Baraka

Post by DexterPunk »

Ive seen it before years ago.. I thought it was amazing back then.

Back then, i hadn't done a degree in photography.. Now i have, and the level of appreciation sky rocketed for the amazing footage captured... i now know the kind of challenges they would have had to face to gain the images they did.

Ok, so thats only one aspect of it... The film itself was captured in large format analogue film.... yes u know, the old stuff... not the digital HD gear that is used today. Don't for a second though regard that as inferior... quite the contrary. For a few scientific reasons im not going to go into, film surpasses digital capture on a number of aspects... being exposure and contrast curves. It can be simulated on digital, and even surpassed in a few areas such as dynamic range, but that still has to be controlled and outputted, and the organic feel of film is often lost. Besides that, film of that format has unparalleled resolution. Using the scanning techniques they used, and only just approaching the recorded films capabilities, they reached a resolution of 8000 pixels in width, and over 30 TB of information. It was then downscaled to match 1080p. The results are phenomenal. Once again,its not just the quality, but the nature of the shots acquired. I'll leave Nige to explain the natural and social significance of the film itself, because even though i understand what it's trying to portray, and the juxtaposition of many of the scenes, its not my area of specialty.

What i CAN tell you, is that this film.. on blue ray.. on a decent HD tele... and to top it off, with surround sound.. is the most amazing visual and audible experience i have ever.. um.. experienced :)

If you have a blue ray player, and good tele... this is a MUST buy.
Gusto

Re: Baraka

Post by Gusto »

Baraka is most definitely one of the main reasons to get Full HD. Fricke had to make one of the first geared tripod heads and dollies to create the camera motion of ramped (accelerated; linear, then decelerated motion) tilts, pans and dollys, all combined in the one shot spanning several hours. If anyone of you have not seen Baraka, it is a must see, from the technical challenges in making and filming in so many countries, to the juxtaposition of different cultures and cultural ideas, and creating a story about the state of our planet without narrative.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah the panning time lapses are genius.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Baraka

Post by DexterPunk »

The next installment from Mr Fricke, can't wait!

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/samsara/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

You put me on to Baraka a while back Dex, and I never tire of watching it, just sublime cinema :yes:

Looking forward to seeing Samsara... hoping it'll get a run out at the local iMax.

I'm no expert on photography or cinematography but I don't think you need to be to appreciate the work that went into Baraka and the messages it gets across about the diversity of the world we live in.

Major reccomendations from me too :yes:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Baraka

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah it's definitely something I wanna see at an imax theater.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Baraka

Post by DexterPunk »

A good review posted at whirlpool.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1853479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone know how I would go about finding a theater that plans on showing it?

Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

So... have you seen Samsara yet Dex ?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Not yet. I'm going to look around for the best choice of cinema in the next couple of days.

Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Tis spectacular :nod:

Njoy when you get to see it :yes:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Been looking forward to it for a long time. Can't wait.

AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Only just got around to seeing Baraka on the weekend and loved it. Thanks for the recommendation guys. :D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

No worries Astro.

I actually saw Samsara last week. I enjoyed it, but I think Baraka had stronger imagery. It's definitely worth a watch though.