iPhone and syncing.

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

iPhone and syncing.

Post by norbs »

The whole iTunes/iPhone thing is driving me mad as usual.

Can I install apps from home and from work? I just plugged the phone in to the work computer and tried to sync apps and it tells me that all apps and their data will be replaced with the apps from this iTunes library.

So I assume I can only install apps from one computer.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: iPhone and syncing.

Post by DexterPunk »

As far as I know yeah the iPhone wants to be associated with one puter. Unless it's jailbroken. I don't install apps from a computer anyway. I just use the app store on the phone.
norbs

Post by norbs »

So what happens when you plug into a computer? Do the new apps appear in your library?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah it just syncs from phone to pc instead of the other way around.

It took me a while to figure out u can actually do it from the pc... I guess it seemed more logical to me to browse and install apps from the phone... I use syncing just as the occasional backup. Once I have my business up and running I guess I'll sync with iCal a lot more too.
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

I'm not 100% on this but the only way to do this might be the sync the 2 iTunes libraries on the PCs and somehow keep them in sync which kind of defeats the purpose of what you're trying to do. I read somewhere that if you sync from machine A, you get 'Machine A' iPhone content and then syncing from machine B gives you 'Machine B' iPhone content.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Ok. Many thanks. :yes:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Why would u wanna do that though robbo? Just back up your apps later on at home when ur at that computer?? As I mentioned, u don't need a computer to get Apps on your phone. I actually havnt synced for about a month.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Can't. You just authorize the other pc? I install stuff for my wife on mine and her pc's
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

DexterPunk wrote:Why would u wanna do that though robbo? Just back up your apps later on at home when ur at that computer?? As I mentioned, u don't need a computer to get Apps on your phone. I actually havnt synced for about a month.

I don't Dex. I do what you do and get all my apps using the phone, mostly at home on the wifi. There have been times when my wife has plugged her iPhone into my PC and asked why her stuff wasn't there and I told her that it is on her PC.

There is a lot more to iPhone syncing that meets the eye however and I just haven't had the time to go there. My DNS-323 is also an iTunes Server but I have no idea how that works or what it even means.
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

w00dsy wrote:Can't. You just authorize the other pc? I install stuff for my wife on mine and her pc's
I'll have to look into that. Does it just create a copy of her iPhone on my PC? Hmmm ... Maybe I won't .. I view any music from Jethro Tull as a virus.
norbs

Post by norbs »

For syncing apps I just worked out another way of doing it. Not perfect, but at least I can get apps at work if I want to.

iTunes-File-Transfer Purchases from "iPhone"

It mixes them all up, but at least they are now on the work computer.