the J's Hottest 100

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

the J's Hottest 100

Post by Hz-Lab »

Whats your tips folks?

I reckon Phoenix's Lisztomania will take out the top honors this year.
pogo

Re: the J's Hottest 100

Post by pogo »

I have no idea this year, didn't even vote. About to head off to the bro-in-laws for barbie, beers and the jays though.
:aussie2:
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Not sure, but ive got a feeling ozhiphop is going to have a real strong showing this year.

New stuff from illy/phrase/horrorshow/urthboy/drapht/funkoars/hilltop/thundermentals ect.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

The winner got leaked... but I aint gunna spoil the fun.. as you were..

Too Many Dicks.. #86 cool :)
eek
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yeah thats a top song.. ha. and thanks for not spoiling.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

yea it is a shame it got leaked. I suppose I didnt have to view it but oh well.

feels like only a few weeks ago muse won, where does the time go
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Pretty rubbish top 10 songs in my opinion.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

not a clue this year, I didn't vote either - but I have got all the music I have liked through out the year I probably got most of the top 100 except the weird ones people vote for fun up there

I would of voted for little Lion Man.. good song
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

What makes it good? I just don't get it.

Triple J hottest 100 is starting to sound like Nova hottest 100 if u ask me. Just occured to me that people outside melb might not know what nova is lol.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

im pretty sure nova is in most cities man. I know it isn't tuned into my car because I cant stand the shit.

Interesting Top 10, wouldnt have been my pick.

;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Wasn't sure if it was melb only.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I completely forgot about the hottest 100... oops!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Nova is JJJ 2 months behind. Don't know how many songs were played on nova and claimed as a "First Play" some 2 months after they were on the J's.

I am a returning listener to the J's after feeling quite dejected by them for quite some time. But I was a metalhead for quite some time and the J's really stepped away from metal in the mid noughties. But now I listen all the time. I don't think there were too many shocks in the top 20. I am a mumford & sons fan and i'm stoked they took it out. I even voted for it. It's weird though, Little Lion Man is probably my least favorite M&S song, but I knew it would poll well so I threw my support behind that song as support for the band as i knew none of their other songs had received sufficient airplay to really poll well.

Now, the thing it took me to realise about the J's before I could really listen to them again was the fact that they play what people want. My tastes stayed the same over those years and here was where the problem lied. All these new younger listeners were determining what was being listened to. which is fine, cos when I was one of those young listeners I liked they fact they played what I like. Now the hottest 100 was packed full of Pop, in the last couple years, Pop has had quite the revival and is now so much cooler than it was late 90's and early 00's. So that's how it is.

I will however state that I would of expected little lion man to have polled around #20 to #15 if not for the word Fuck.

but that's life, naughty words get you places.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Hz-Lab wrote:Nova is JJJ 2 months behind. Don't know how many songs were played on nova and claimed as a "First Play" some 2 months after they were on the J's.
:yes:
I say that to my girl everytime we get in her car

;)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I cop constant shit from some of my friends who are around 20-21... They were 18 year olds when I started Uni at 26. They think my punk rock is just about the most uncool and crap music they have ever heard. I listen to other stuff as well... Ratm, faith no more, mr bungle are among a few of many of my fav non punk bands. back when I was 18-20... Everyone was into rock, punk or metal etc. Possibly why I got into it all, but I still listen to it because I'm yet to hear anything that pumps me up the same and that I love as much. I'm happy stuck in my 90s time warp. I've become the guy I swore I'd never be.. Stuck in their ways when music to them was better. I always said I'd always be up on current music.... But honestly with current music they way it is, I do don't want to be.

I get lecturerd about my music taste by a 20 year old guy who knew nothing about music till he worked at one o melbournes music venues... Now everything he thinks is good is the only thing worth thinking is good. Sounds like me just on the other side of the fence. I said to him the other day, can't wait for 10 years time when your music is now uncool and all the kids tell him how lame he is. He said nah, won't happen, I'll always like the current music. I reckon it will happen to him like it did me, and I reckon it does to every generation.

End of the day, I don't really care what anyone thinks of the music I like. I'll continue to love it the rest of my life... Well after the bands I'm listening to are dead and gone. I guess the frustration is I like basically nothing on tripple J because proper rock n roll is no longer trendy. And the music festivals have no one I like playing.

Rock will kill this radiohead-esk elevator pop crap. ....one day.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

DexterPunk wrote: I listen to other stuff as well... Ratm, faith no more, mr bungle are among a few of many of my fav non punk bands............snip................And the music festivals have no one I like playing.
ahem....Soundwave is your friend....
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

Well said Dex, happens to us all, some people I know are stuck in the '70's :D but hey, it's all good music, my son tuned the radio in the ute to Triple J the other day & I've been enjoying listening to it on occasion, the other station is good ol ABC 702 Sydney :p
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

See that's the weird thing though macca... I love music from the 70s and even before.. Even the 80s had some of my fav stuff. Maybe I didn't appreciate it the same when I was young though.

Hz... I missed out on soundwave. Would have loved to see faith.
pogo

Post by pogo »

did I mention.... oh, yes, I think I did :D :lol:
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Hz-Lab wrote:
DexterPunk wrote: I listen to other stuff as well... Ratm, faith no more, mr bungle are among a few of many of my fav non punk bands............snip................And the music festivals have no one I like playing.
ahem....Soundwave is your friend....
Yeah i think your right Hz, im a huge metal/rock head. Just cant stomach anything else.
Electronica, techno whatever you call it is like a set of finger nails on a chalk board for me.

Dex, i think we have a very similar outlook on the music scene. Your post was almost like i had written it :p We are a similar age and i too am stuck in my 90's time warp... & i love it!
I dont even listen to the radio these days as there is nothing on there i like (except on the rare occasion ill listen to Triple M for some 80's laughs, just takes me back to when i was a little tacker)

I love the old school rock as well, just cant get into a lot of the modern tunes these days and ive never taken to pop. Each to their own :)
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

I love triple J. I'll always listen to it. And I really enjoyed this years hottest 100. Sorta made me realise there actually were a great deal of good songs that came out last year. I'm happy to roll with the times when it comes to music... theres still crap that I just can't listen too that seems to be popular with the kids but most of what triple j plays I can listen too and often I find I come to really like certain songs or styles or even genres that I never thought I would.
If you asked me when I was in school if I thought I'd be listening to a bunch of Aussie blokes rapping and enjoying it I'd have laughed at you and politely told you where to go... times change... music trends change and I enjoy going with it and seeing where it takes you.

I think commercial radio now play so much of what gets played on triple j, not because the j's are going soft or commercial but because people need better music than the drivel that was getting aired on commercial radio from the early 2000's until recently. It would seem maybe the commercial music industry has run out of crap to copy... bad song after bad song pumped out of these labels as instant money making hits are just becoming old... and while the J's have been supporting and promoting new music and new styles, as well as up and coming bands with plenty of real talent, the commercial industry now has to clamp onto the wagon and hold on for dear life and in the process claim something they have no right to claim as their own. Problem is people believe it to be true because they still tune in to these puss stations... and so the commercial industry lives on... humbug.

(My views are purely speculatory and entirely of my own opinion... no research was done before this post.)
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

you're pretty much right fandsy, if a commercial station wants to make any song a hit they can, even if it's terrible, they play it enough and the little lambs will go in herds to buy it. ridiculous.

yeah I am back on the J's bandwagon, I think it's cos I just really like the kind of music that is coming out these days, like Phoenix, Vampire Weekend and so on and so forth, It's just really well constructed music, lyrically also. Love it. But a couple of years ago I was sorta over the J's, dunno why, just didn't click with me.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

JJJ to me is a commercial station.

I personally rather listen to community radio like SYN (some young irritating DJs but they often play awesome stuff). Or RRR etc.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Hz-Lab wrote:Whats your tips folks?
99 rubbish songs and one good one.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

DexterPunk wrote:JJJ to me is a commercial station.
hmmm, right. Ask Bengatta what he thinks about anything ABC related being commercial.. ha.