My next car

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

My next car

Post by DexterPunk »

Apart from the fact that I don't really have any money :D I really need to sort out a new car this year... I think I may have to save for half and lone the other half.. But I'm wondering what some of the more mechanically minded have to recommend. Id really love a classic mini, but I don't really think thats realistic as they require a fair amount of maintenance and I need something reliable. I like to get out an about, and the ability of carry a fair bit of stuff is also important. My Corolla has been great, but the rust is getting too much and I can't justify fixing it when it will probably come back again anyway. It was bought brand new from the show room back in 1989 by my family, but its had its day, and I think its getting ever closer to needing to be driven off to the wreckers :( will be a very sad day. If the cops stopped me, It would no doubt be unroadworthy'd and id never get it back on the road again.

I'm actually considering a 4x4 even though I usually hate 4x4 drivers... well, the mums who never take them off road. Theres been a number of occasions going out shooting landscapes where Ive had to turn back or not gone down a track because its 4x4 only. Id also like to stick with something reliable.. I trust Toyota... so I'm thinking perhaps a Hilux. I couldn't spend more than $15k. Interested to know your thoughts and recommendations.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: My next car

Post by ysu »

I know I'd buy a mitsu again, anytime; the 10yo magna I had barely needed anything but petrol and the current 380 is going very well too (you *can* buy a 380 for that money, 2-3 years old; base model tho).
If you need to carry really big and/or dirty stuff tho, you will need something with an open rear I guess.
But it's just an opinion; I'm no expert.

Edit: mind you the magna is/was a boat, the 380 is a very nice handling modern car compared to it.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Cheers ysu, I'd be fine with Mitsubishi... But I think my requirements are 4x4/AWD, and can carry a bit. I also don't want a massive car if I can help it... Maybe a forester or rav4?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

For under 15k (drive away) you can get a new small car. Have you thought about that?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

not unless I can take them off road and fit stuff in them.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Thought I should check ;)
New car warranty + higher resale price is the only bonus with the new small car idea.

If you are thinking about a Subaru Forester, then I'd recommend one with a 2.5L engine (e.g. an X or XS). Also note that the manual version has a dual range transmission, not sure if the GT/XT does, but all the lower models should.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Thought about a Commodore or Falcon wagon Dex? Get one a few years old and they are reliable, and you'd be surprised where you can drive them. Plus you can fit loads of crap in the back. Fingers crossed, I have done some pretty hairy roads in mine, and it is still going.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

Kombi.

:aussie:

Mine f@#king goes anywhere I point it!
You'd get an awesome specimen for under 15K.
http://www.kombiclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balls & boobs. . .
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Toyota Surf?

Maybe even a 50's - 60's series landcruiser with an engine conversion.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah a wagon might be worth a look Norbs... Just wish they were a bit more cool haha but they are certainly practical.

Kombi would be fun no doubt but I think I'll stick to cars in the early 2000's somewhere.
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

All 3 of our cars are from the mid 70's. . . lol.
balls & boobs. . .
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yeah the Falcodore route for big, easy/cheap to fix is a big plus. Can carry heaps and lots of choice when buying too.

If it was me buying i'd probably go after a Forester just because it's a bit nicer.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
pab

Post by pab »

2 votes for Kombi :)

Do we win?
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Dex, are you looking for an Auto or a Manual?
norbs

Post by norbs »

Exar Kun wrote:Yeah the Falcodore route for big, easy/cheap to fix is a big plus. Can carry heaps and lots of choice when buying too.

If it was me buying i'd probably go after a Forester just because it's a bit nicer.

And you pay for it, and they aren't as big.

I did a power steering hose about 20kms out of Turlee Station and drove to Hay where the mechanic couldn't get a new hose that day, but did manage to take one off his brothers car. Cost me $50 for the part and labour. :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

norbs wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:Yeah the Falcodore route for big, easy/cheap to fix is a big plus. Can carry heaps and lots of choice when buying too.

And you pay for it, and they aren't as big.
Totally - the smart decision is definitely the Falcon or Commodore. But I don't make smart decisions when buying cars. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

I can understand the old classic Mini thoughts, but unless you are good at & like working on cars & are prepared to spend the time sourcing affordable parts, then don't, unless you have deep pockets to pay someone else. I have gone down this path with the Beemer & over the last, almost 4 years with a '72 SuperBug for my son, as a rule of thumb, if you are going to spend $5K on an oldie then be prepared to spend that much again to get it up to scratch. The bug was $4K plus that much again, although that is partly due to over exuberant driving from a 18/19 year old who didn't quite understand that you can't constantly flog a fairly original 35 year old car. The upside is the driving pleasure that you derive from driving the old things, hopping in the bug & ambling along always brings a smile to my face, similarly taking the old Beemer for a blast is a blast. As an aside the Bug is about to be passed on to son number 2, so ultimately there is some value there :D As others have said, a Kombi would be ideal, good ground clearance, weight of the engine over the driving wheels, can sleep / camp in it, all the things that made them so popular in the first place, but you are still faced with the old car issue. You can get a reasonable restored Kombi for about $10 - 12K in NSW, maybe cheaper in VIC, which would leave some change for the repairs :D

AS others have said, a Forrester or Outback for the light AWD option is a good choice, with manual versions you can get dual range which is handy, they have good ground clearance & are very capable on dirt roads, read, lots of fun. I have had / have 4 subies, currently have a 06 Outback which has just done 99,000 kms, super reliable & economical to run, service costs are reasonable. Also have recently bought a 2010 Liberty for the missus, only done 3K, great car.

If you go down the uber 4WD road such as a Hilux, all costs compared to a car like AWD can be roughly doubled, from service & maintenance to repairs. Tyres are expensive, suspension, etc, just costly to run so you need to ensure that that is what you really want, then get out & use it :D , I understand your point for being able to get to those hard to get to places, can also be a lot of fun to go off road, I used to do a fair bit of off road / camping weekends, always a good time, just the cost. Also the comfort factor, the Subies are car like, a Hilux or similar are truck like. Having said that I have been considering getting a 4WD ute & getting back into it :)

My ultimate recommendation would be for you to buy my Beemer :D
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norbs

Post by norbs »

macca wrote:

You don't own it, the ants do! :lol:
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

norbs wrote:
macca wrote:

lol, not any more, the Ant Rid did the trick, but coming from the bloke who thinks the only car ever worth considering is a Holden & then bought a Hyundai, well :lol: back at ya
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

You still trying to get rid of the beemer Macca? You were trying to push it on me a couple of years back :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

macca wrote:
norbs wrote:
macca wrote:

lol, not any more, the Ant Rid did the trick, but coming from the bloke who thinks the only car ever worth considering is a Holden & then bought a Hyundai, well :lol: back at ya

The Yundee is for Onz. The seats are to firm and narrow for my barge arse.

Don't worry Mando, he would try and sell it to me, but he knows I don't crave Euro cool! :)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I just like to point out that the falcodore way maybe more expensive than the mitsu way, because more people actually WANT falcodores in this country. They are a bit of an icon - the mitsu isn't.
The toyota was more expensive again, because it's supposed to be a better brand, you know, reliability-wise where the brakes don't fail :lol:

When I did my purchase I did my due diligence, and saved at least 5 grand by not buying the same category falcon or commodore.

Of course this may not apply to all categories or ages of cars. Just something to look out for when doing the market research for the purchase.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Falcodore will be easier and cheaper for spare parts and servicing than a Bitsushiti.
iMAXIBON

Post by iMAXIBON »

cbf reading the whole thread but a forester is probably okay, except that they're uncool and dorky. liberties are awd and are probably pretty good off-road for what they are, and magnas are just awesome. in fact i have one for sale! :D

there is a AWD magna too, its probably okay if you can find one.

sensible option is the toyota corolla 4WD wagon from the late 80's / early 90's. my dad got a mint one for very little $$$$ and its reliable, comfortable, goes quite well and uses not much fuel.

i am always surprised at how expensive a hilux is, compared to a similarly equipt and aged normal car. certainly unkillable and probably the best off-roader of the lot, but tall and noisy and thirsty etc. you should find out if a 4WD car will do what you want before considering a monster truck :lol:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Thanks for everyones input.... I want something a little newer than early 90s maxi. But would be interested If they still made them.

I think it might be down to a falcodore wagon, forester or hilux. But I think the 4x4/AWD candidates are favorite for now. Wouldn't parts and servicing be cheaper on a Toyota than scooby?
Oh and Astro, manual for sure.... Auto is for girls, girly men, and fat lazy people :D