Exhausts

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Exhausts

Post by DexterPunk »

The dude said there is a pinch in the system to reduce some noise and cat back will still open that up. But I'm thinking the same as most... I'd rather have the whole system changed. I care more about picking up a few kW than having a noisy car. I do have wheels done on it, with an exhaust system as well I wonder whether shannons would do it.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

The catback will net you the biggest power and sound increase. The headers/extractors will net you more torque and a bit of a nicer exhaust note and the cats will also aid in torque and an even better note. If it was me, i would do the whole thing front to back. Do it once the right way. You'll regret it otherwise. You pay for what you get.

On insurance, im 90% sure shannons wont touch a lancer unless its an evo (no offense).Plenty of insurance companies cover extractors and high flow cats, just car, AAMI, RACQ etc all do it. I was with Just Car for the last 2 years with my full exhaust,tune etc and they covered it all. I only switched to Shannons last week. The quote was more like a job interview. You really have to prove that your a real car/racing enthusiast. The guy said i was very borderline on what they'd call an enthusiast the thing that got me through was having raced go karts when i was younger and that i do all my own servicing etc.
Last edited by TIMMY30 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Been looking at insurance first. I'll have to ring them up and claim I'm doing it to improve fuel consumption or something. Shannons want $2,000 a year :\
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

DexterPunk wrote:Been looking at insurance first. I'll have to ring them up and claim I'm doing it to improve fuel consumption or something. Shannons want $2,000 a year :\
$2000?!?!, im 22 with a modified v8 with what i wouldnt exactly say is the greatest driving history and i pay $1400 :/
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

TIMMY30 wrote:The catback will net you the biggest power and sound increase.
Sound maybe but I doubt the power gain will be much as the restriction at the headers will still be there.

but as you say - do the lot in one go to get the best gain from the mod :up:

But cat back should be fine for insurance. Add headers/extractors and you will be out of mainstream insurers I reckon.
--------------
Stu
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

If that is the case regarding insurance then I may not bother... I don't really want to be paying more than about $700 a year, any more than that seems a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

I find it irritating that I can't seem to mod my own car... I've done it for years with computers, mountain bikes, and just about anything else I could fiddle with.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Had a look at Just Car insurance (they don't seem to care too much about mods), the online quote has given me a figure of $777 per year if I lift the excess to $1000. The standard $500 excess is $917 per year. They do have a pay by the month option though.

EDIT:

WOW! ive just had a look at AAMI... pretty sure its the people with that annoying ad with the guy singing 'what about me' who reminds me of norbs for some reason.

They keep quoting me about $550 annually, and also allow pay by the month... and I put these mods down....
Car Use: PRIVATE - PRIVATE USE

Your Car

2003 MITSUBISHI LANCER GLI CE F/INJ 2D COUPE 4 CYL 1.8L 5 SP MANUAL

You advised your car has no unrepaired damage.

Purchase Price: $8,250

Purchase Date: JUN 2010

Modifications

EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS, EXTRACTORS, HEADERS, LOWERED
It didnt seem to change the quote price at all when adding the mods in. Sounds like good value to me, I might have to swap over my current insurance.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Im fairly sure the only insurance company i know of that doesnt cover mods is youi. But yeah you cant expect the premium not to go up because well you know........ anyone that mods their car is a hoon :rolleyes:
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

AAMI insure my Volvo 2.5L 4 Speed with optional Roof rack. They were great when my sister tried to take on a roundabout with it.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

TIMMY30 I kept changing the quote details and adding mods in, and the premium didnt change. The excess with AAMI is also very good compared to others.

lol @ optional roof rack :)
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

DexterPunk wrote:Shannons want $2,000 a year :\
I have 19 year old friend with 2 speeding tickets on his provisional license and an at fault claim, insuring a 220kW (At the Wheels) S13 Silvia with pretty much no standard parts on it. Insured value is $20,000 and its going to cost him $2200pa!

Either Melbourne insurance is ridiculously expensive, or your getting jipped!
Now with Added Flickr
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Should've got a Commacon now Dex. :)

God knows why a Lancer is so expensive. You got a bad record Dex?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

No not at all norbs... No claims, no accidents, no license cancelations, only thing I have is the one speeding fine I got in tassie. I'm 29 and off my P's. I'm not positive I filled in all the shannons stuff right. What is 65% no claim bonus etc?

I actually have insurance norbs and it's only about $440 with pay as you drive. The issue I was having was keeping the costs down if I wanted to mod the car, seems AAMI is actually a good bet.
norbs

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:No not at all norbs... No claims, no accidents, no license cancelations, only thing I have is the one speeding fine I got in tassie. I'm 29 and off my P's. I'm not positive I filled in all the shannons stuff right. What is 65% no claim bonus etc?

I actually have insurance norbs and it's only about $440 with pay as you drive. The issue I was having was keeping the costs down if I wanted to mod the car, seems AAMI is actually a good bet.

Fair enough. I just couldn't figure out why it is so expensive. I could understand if you were 18 and had a few prangs.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Maybe it's because I put down that I drive it 5 times a week (they don't like that). Also I didn't get my license till i was 25, and previous insurance was under my parents names... So when it comes to insurance ratings etc, I don't really have one.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Well after another call to these guys, I think I have decided on just the cat back they quoted me on. I mentioned that a few people have suggested that if im going to do it, do it properly and do the whole lot, headers/extractors, cat and muffler etc... He advised me that I really wont gain anything at all changing to a high flow cat in my car, and said unless I decide to start turbo-ing it or working on the engine substantially then there really isn't any point spending the extra money. It also would have been about a grand more for that as well. I asked whether I could add on to it in the future and do forward from the cat, which he said I could definitely do... so that could be an option down the track if i need it.

The same guys also do performance suspension. So I mentioned id be interested in that too, and he asked if I wanted the build the car up for racing or just a road car, which I kinda replied "both" :D I really would love to start doing some club events at some point... some track days, autocross etc. Im sure they have a class for my car. He said they have quite a few options for suspension and would need to go through some of it with me. So if I do the cat back in a few weeks we can chat about that while its being done.
petey

Post by petey »

High flow cat waste of money, header/extractors is worthwhile.

This guy seems like a bit of a nonce if you ask me, he doesn't seem to have a middle ground...your either a race car driver or a 70yo sunday driver with him it seems.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

At the end of the day, you are better off taking advice from a man in an exhaust shop than people on a forum.
But...
I get the feeling he is playing up to you by letting you think he's a nice guy, saving you money, so that he at least gets some work/money from you. Since, if you go elsewhere, you WILL get a different story.

Fact of the matter is.

Headers = better flowing exhaust and coupled with a 2.25inch exhuast, you will quite easily see 5-10kw gained.
High flow cat on your car = waste of money. not needed.
Cat back = noise/note and *maybe* 1kw extra - but, it WILL feel faster than that as the new noise/note will trick your brain :)

If I were you, before you lay down your hard earned, join a mitsi forum, there are shitloads of lancers running around with exhuasts and surely someone, somewhere, has done a before and after dyno comparison.

:tilt:
Steve
---
petey

Post by petey »

SE1Z wrote:At the end of the day, you are better off taking advice from a man in an exhaust shop than people on a forum.
But...

Depends where you go. They could just try and rip you off blind. A bit of pepper from both sides is probably a better alternative.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Thanks for the advice... I'll post on a Mirage/Lancer forum I'm a member of. I was hoping for about 5kW doing the exhaust. In a car that weighs under a tone it should be noticeable. The thing is, I told the guy I'm not really concerned that much with cost. He still maintained that doing headers and extractors isn't going to be that beneficial on my car, but I think I'll just do some more research and get another quote as well before I do anything. I also forgot to ask if it's alloy or stainless... (what's best? I imagine alloy would be lighter? Stainless more durable?). Also do most places do mandrel bends these days? (I believe that's the correct term).
norbs

Post by norbs »

DexterPunk wrote:Thanks for the advice... I'll post on a Mirage/Lancer forum I'm a member of. I was hoping for about 5kW doing the exhaust. In a car that weighs under a tone it should be noticeable. The thing is, I told the guy I'm not really concerned that much with cost. He still maintained that doing headers and extractors isn't going to be that beneficial on my car, but I think I'll just do some more research and get another quote as well before I do anything. I also forgot to ask if it's alloy or stainless... (what's best? I imagine alloy would be lighter? Stainless more durable?). Also do most places do mandrel bends these days? (I believe that's the correct term).
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Have I missed something?
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

exhaust for your car seems quite cheap, mine was quoted 890 for a catback a year ago, but i guess its a twin 2 1/2 system, ended up going all out with extractors and hi flow cats, with labour it was around 3k :( lol
Hello :aussie:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah I think the full system was about 1.4k for mine.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

DexterPunk wrote:Have I missed something?
You never ever tell a tradesman that money is not a concern. You're asking to be arse-raped.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?