Exhausts

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Exhausts

Post by DexterPunk »

Went into an exhaust place today and asked about what they suggest for my 2003 CE2 Lancer. They said they usually do the cat back.. 2.25" and a performance muffler for $380. Firstly I guess the questions is, is that a decent price? The guy seemed pretty straight down the line, he said he wouldn't bother too much with a high flow cat etc as I would only gain a few extra kW. However, thats about all I thought Id gain anyway from an exhaust system. So my second question Is, is it worth doing the whole lot or just go from the cat back like they suggested?

The bloke could have lied I guess and told me im better off changing the whole thing just to get some more $$$ out of me. I also knew that the correct size was 2.25" rather than 2.5" so questioned him on that too mostly to see what his response would be and how truthful he is. I also stated that I didn't want it too loud, he said they usually go a bit below the limit so that its legal etc. I'm not sure I really want it THAT close to the limit either. A happy medium would be nice, something that has a bit of a note to it (which it doesn't right now)... But not so loud that it vibrates when driving and overpowers the radio.

Any advice would be good... unless its going to be "why waste your money modding your car." I don't want the thread turning into that debate.
petey

Re: Exhausts

Post by petey »

Size can be whatever you want. I knew a lad with 3" mandrel bent on his integra and it wasn't overly loud, I put that down to a good muffler.

High flow cat is a complete waste of time and money for your car yes, maybe replacing the old one but it shouldn't be anywhere near going at this point.

Advice ? Don't get a canon.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

This is off topic... Could someone explain to me how a catalytic converter saves the environment? Reducing power output and increasing fuel usage doesn't seem like a great idea to me (in relation to modern cars).
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

A canon? I already have 3 of those... But I'm guessing your not talking about cameras.

They told me I'd end up losing power going too large and that 2.25 replaces a narrow kink they put in the exhausts on those cars to make it quieter.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I have heard, Astro, that you can smash it by sticking a large rod up ya cars bum hole. Of course it's illegal to do so.
petey

Post by petey »

Ah yes too large does inhibit performance as my old friend with the integra would never admit too. Cars do enjoy a bit of backpressure.

A canon is a type of muffler and it produces these loud boomy tones at normal driving levels that you suggest you don't want, like any normal person. I test drove a corolla 1.6 dohc one day with a canon, I couldn't even talk to my mate about the car as I drove it because the exhaust was deafening - this is the effect of a canon.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah that sounds horrible. :nod:
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Canon, Milo tin..
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

:rofl: at the ground clearance
petey

Post by petey »

I swear its the opposite of a muffler too, to make a corolla as loud as it did, it amplifies.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

another thing to consider is that anything more than cat back will void any mainstream car insurance and you will need to go with Shannons or similar. Check your policy for mods if you have insurance that is. Even 3rd party property.

That is weird for me to advise since the mechanic in me says go hard or go home but I have been doing a fair bit on car insurance at work and finding out things I didnt know.
--------------
Stu
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I was going to go a full new system straight through... but yeah the dude said not to bother and just go cat back.

yeah I have full comp insurance.. and I'll look into it before doing anything. I don't want it to increase my insurance costs really.
Last edited by DexterPunk on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

r8response wrote:Image

Canon, Milo tin..
don't WRX STi's have those kinds of mufflers? maybe its just all the people who own them put those on.
petey

Post by petey »

I think the latter would be correct.

While rex's sound sexy stock they are far from loud.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

AstrO wrote:This is off topic... Could someone explain to me how a catalytic converter saves the environment? Reducing power output and increasing fuel usage doesn't seem like a great idea to me (in relation to modern cars).
It was explained to me in simple terms as a newer version of a charcoal box. I always figured it was to do with making the exhaust quieter :shrug:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Yeah, they just take some of the bad stuff out of the exhaust gases. So whilst you're using a bit more fuel than without one (and it isn't too much more these days), you're putting out much less carbon monoxide etc.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Dex why just from the cat back? The idea of increasing the exhaust size is to allow more the gases to escape quicker, right? If you leave the stock exhaust manifold and pipe from the manifold to the cat, your going ot have a bottle neck at the main area of gas extraction. Any performance increase would be very marginal in my opinion. Maybe its different in your car and the manifold etc is good in stock form?

One particular car I owned had flat spots in it's power bands. A set of extractors and 1.75" pipe allowed it to rev freely from idle to 6,500rpm. That was a Suzuki Sierra 1.6 engine, which I believe had the same block as the Swift. Cost me about $900 from memory, but was well worth the extra cost.

Re: Insurance. Are you a mechanic? How will the Insurer "know" you fitted that to your car unless you tell them? Perhaps it was fitted when you recently brought the car and not being a mechanic, you were not reasonably aware of it being a modification.

If you do have an accident and make a claim, rarely would it be found anyway as most modern day motor vehicle assessors are a lot less anal. My Suzuki was involved in a comprehensive insurance claim about 10 years ago where it was written-off. Nothing became of the non-declared exhaust system, sure I didn't get my money back for it, but I didn't pay extra insurance permium for it either.

Also, if you do start modding a car, it might be worth whiling changing insurer that focuses on performance/tuned cars like Shannons or something.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Exar Kun wrote:Yeah, they just take some of the bad stuff out of the exhaust gases. So whilst you're using a bit more fuel than without one (and it isn't too much more these days), you're putting out much less carbon monoxide etc.
But what about the cost to the environment in creating the device in the first place? ;)
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Rots wrote:Dex why just from the cat back? The idea of increasing the exhaust size is to allow more the gases to escape quicker, right? If you leave the stock exhaust manifold and pipe from the manifold to the cat, your going ot have a bottle neck at the main area of gas extraction. Any performance increase would be very marginal in my opinion. Maybe its different in your car and the manifold etc is good in stock form?
Exactly!
The big bottle neck will be the standard manifold, replace this with a nice set of headers/extractors - mated up to the exhaust you were quoted and that baby will scream all the way to redline.
Just the catback will be noise, no performance gains.
Rots wrote: Re: Insurance. Are you a mechanic? How will the Insurer "know" you fitted that to your car unless you tell them? Perhaps it was fitted when you recently brought the car and not being a mechanic, you were not reasonably aware of it being a modification.

If you do have an accident and make a claim, rarely would it be found anyway as most modern day motor vehicle assessors are a lot less anal. My Suzuki was involved in a comprehensive insurance claim about 10 years ago where it was written-off. Nothing became of the non-declared exhaust system, sure I didn't get my money back for it, but I didn't pay extra insurance permium for it either.
Definitely tell your insurer about the mod.
With the whole 'hoon' crap going on, they can (and will) cancel your policy if there are items on your car at the time of an accident you didn't declare on your policy.
It's not worth it.
Rots wrote: Also, if you do start modding a car, it might be worth whiling changing insurer that focuses on performance/tuned cars like Shannons or something.
Agreed... although, I doubt Shannons would insure a Lancer with only an exhaust.
If it had cams, suspension, wheels etc... they would.

If you do this.
Do it right. :)
FULL system & tell your insurance co. :yes:
Steve
---
petey

Post by petey »

I didn't get the impression he was going for performance.

Realistically other than removing a few flatspots it won't be all that much of a difference.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

petey wrote:I didn't get the impression he was going for performance.

Realistically other than removing a few flatspots it won't be all that much of a difference.
If it's just for a bit of noise/note all Dex needs is a free flowing muffler welded onto his standard exhaust....
Steve
---
petey

Post by petey »

could be right.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

petey wrote:you are right.
There, fixed! :nod: :D
Steve
---
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Just cut the bloody muffler off, it'll have plenty of noise. I had a hole in it once that was enough to drive me crazy. :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
petey

Post by petey »

SE1Z wrote:
petey wrote:you are right.
There, f**ked! :nod: :D
Fixed :)

:aussie:

On a different unrelated note. You are right. :p