Solar panels.

all the ARSE dribble
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: Solar panels.

Post by dvestate »

norbs wrote:If you are going to do it, sign up today in NSW.

The feed in tariff has been slashed from 60c to 20c per kWh. Fuck me, I didn't pick that!

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bid-to-put-br ... 1732h.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.industry.nsw.gov.au/__data/a ... scheme.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That will put a massive handbrake on take up in NSW, spewing that I'm planning to move next year so couldn't get myself in for the rebate
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

NeilPearson wrote:my gf's dad is getting some solar panels installed, hes paying $22,000 for it, its supposed to output about 30kw a day. and WA doesnt have it where we can pump it straight into the grid, he has to use his lot first and what doesnt get used then goes into the grid.
30kWh per day. Sounds like about a 4K or 5k system to me. And $22,000 sounds bloody expensive. Unless you mean it is a 30kW system, which is fucking huge and no way could he get it for $22,000. And yes, he is on a Net Feed in tariff. He does actually pump into the grid all the time he is producing ore than he is using, it just means at those times his meter should spin backwards.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

its a 5k system which can potentialy get the 30kWh a day.

Its some new sort of solar panel, i cannot remember the name of them but it looks like a solid black and they are supposed to be more energy efficiant or something. a new design in solar panels.

Without knowing exactly who he is going through, i cant find any info on the net about them but apparantly he did alot of research and found these were the best. hes the sort of bloke if he is going to get something its going to be the best he can get.

When i see them next, ill get some info on it.
norbs

Post by norbs »

NeilPearson wrote:its a 5k system which can potentialy get the 30kWh a day.

Its some new sort of solar panel, i cannot remember the name of them but it looks like a solid black and they are supposed to be more energy efficiant or something. a new design in solar panels.

Without knowing exactly who he is going through, i cant find any info on the net about them but apparantly he did alot of research and found these were the best. hes the sort of bloke if he is going to get something its going to be the best he can get.

When i see them next, ill get some info on it.
Fair enough. That is damned expensive for a 5k system, and his ROI will be a lot longer, but each to his own. Also, a good 5k system should get more than 30kWh a day if you look at a site like http://pvoutput.org/ladder.jsp?p=1&o=ss&d=desc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

norbs wrote:Fair enough. That is damned expensive for a 5k system, and his ROI will be a lot longer, but each to his own.
More evidence that it is only a matter of time before you join the liberal party... :D

Next you will be reporting EBITDA, and trying to work out ways to lower your SG&A exposure... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
norbs

Post by norbs »

bengatta wrote:
norbs wrote:Fair enough. That is damned expensive for a 5k system, and his ROI will be a lot longer, but each to his own.
More evidence that it is only a matter of time before you join the liberal party... :D

Next you will be reporting EBITDA, and trying to work out ways to lower your SG&A exposure... :)

You are a John Howard eyebrow away from being banned! :lol:
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

atleast he gets free shoes.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Yowsers! We signed up with AHE who apparently submit the connection application once they receive the depost, so even though our system is not being installed until 2 weeks time, we should be getting the 60 cents.
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Yowsers! We signed up with AHE who apparently submit the connection application once they receive the depost, so even though our system is not being installed until 2 weeks time, we should be getting the 60 cents.
Good work Smiss. :yes:
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Solar panels being installed as I type! Praying the hail stays away.
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Solar panels being installed as I type! Praying the hail stays away.

I just got my 1st bill since they went in. $127 credit. :yes: :yes:
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Well, they just left, so install took about 5 hours. They even fixed a couple of loose tiles and slipped ridge capping while they were up there. We get the meter installed tomorrow morning, but when they tested the panels they were pumping out almost 1.3 kWh even with a bit of cirrus covering the sun.

smiss
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Well, they just left, so install took about 5 hours. They even fixed a couple of loose tiles and slipped ridge capping while they were up there. We get the meter installed tomorrow morning, but when they tested the panels they were pumping out almost 1.3 kWh even with a bit of cirrus covering the sun.

smiss
Race you to 1MWh Smiss :)
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Well, it was all hooked up today and is apparently churning out energy. I'll have a look at the meter when I get home and see what's happening (about an hour after hooking up Bibi said the meter was showing 1.7kWh produced) and then work out whether i should bother monitoring it. norbs, I know you're big into the monitoring, but is there any practical value in terms of fine-tuning, checking what Energy Australia is crediting etc that would urge me to set up some monitoring?

I've downloaded the appropriate software and I understand I can get an RS232 connection that will send stuff out on the ethernet, but if that requires a PC running 12 hours a day or so it seems like a waste if I can't do much with the outputs.

smiss
norbs

Post by norbs »

Smiss, the main reason people say to keep an eye on it is to see whether the meter lines up with what the inverter says. Apparently the meter can be up to 10% out and the energy companies wont do anything about it. Good if it is out in your favour, but not so if it is jipping you 10%.

You dont need fancy monitoring to do it either. I can't remember, but I think you said you were getting the Xantrex. if so, just get Bibi to check it every arvo or 2 for the 1st few weeks and compare it to the meter. You will probably be pumping out 8 or 9KWh per day now if it is sunny, so the numbers add up pretty quickly.

Yell out if you need more info.

And proof that the numbers start to add up.

http://solar.norbtech.com/stats/Xantrex_Monitoring.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

840KWh so far in 98 days.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Cheers norbs - checked when i got home. At 6.30pm we had generated 6.33 according to the inverter, and 6.3 on the meter (not sure if it goes into double figures), while the other meter shows we had used 2.1 kWh over the same period (about 7 hours).

Bibi says the sparky told her were were on a rating system that's not a flat rate (she of course can't remember what he said - could it be time of use? or net?). Not sure how I go about confirming what we are on (would Energy Australia tell me?) and what's best to be on (gross or net).

A bit confused.

smiss
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Cheers norbs - checked when i got home. At 6.30pm we had generated 6.33 according to the inverter, and 6.3 on the meter (not sure if it goes into double figures), while the other meter shows we had used 2.1 kWh over the same period (about 7 hours).

Bibi says the sparky told her were were on a rating system that's not a flat rate (she of course can't remember what he said - could it be time of use? or net?). Not sure how I go about confirming what we are on (would Energy Australia tell me?) and what's best to be on (gross or net).

A bit confused.

smiss
Well, because you got in before the cut off date, you should be on gross at 60c per KWh. So today you caught $3.80 worth of sun.

The way you are charged will be available from Energy Australia. Time of useage metering rapes you because it charges like a wounded bull at the very times you want to use power. You can actually use it to your advantage by planning when to do things like washing and clothes drying, dish washer etc etc. If you have you latest bill it should tell you what tariff you are on. Some people say they can use the TOU tariff to their advantage, personally, I think you are better off on a flat rate. But that is just me. Let me know if you need more help Smiss. And welcome to the club. Now to get more ARSEs on to it. :)

EDIT :

I just downloaded this file Smiss... http://www.energyaustralia.com.au/State ... ES_PL.ashx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I renamed it to a PDF and could read it ok. Looks like you may be paying 40c a KWh in peak times! FARK!!!! It might be worth getting a power monitor to see when you are using the power.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I dragged more information out of Bibi. She says the sparky changed us from the flat rate to TOU because "it saves money for 80% of households" but he can change it back if it doesn't work for us.
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:I dragged more information out of Bibi. She says the sparky changed us from the flat rate to TOU because "it saves money for 80% of households" but he can change it back if it doesn't work for us.
Hmm, interesting. I would probably ask over at Whingepool. Or at least try and figure out when you use the most power, because 40c a KWh is twice what I pay. Granted the off peak times are pretty good. Might need more research, or give it a go for 90 days to see how it goes.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Might be of interest Smiss.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1574755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks - curiouser and curiouser.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Mighty impressed with my solar system. After a week, we have produced more than we have used. We haven't had any really perfect solar generating days yet (still had a bit of high cloud on the sunny days, or cloudy days that cut down on production), but in its first week we produced almost 10 kW/h. I think we are almost $30 up based on what we are paid versus what we pay for power.

Interesting to see that on a cool, but sunny morning, the panels were producing almost 1.5kw - they are, as norbs told me, more efficient when it's cool, so looks good for winter.

smiss
norbs

Post by norbs »

I would reckon you have produced more than 10KWh for the week Smiss. I reckon you'd get close to doing that on a perfect day actually. A good place to see what sort of out puts you should get is http://pvoutput.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a record day on Saturday, 14.207KWh, then looked like I could beat it on Sunday, but missed by a mick hair, 14.204KWh. My panels are performing way beyond what I expected. The efficiency rating on a good day is in the top 3 on that web site. A lot of days I am at the top of the table. That really shows two things. The good gear performs well, and the fact that I get a cool sea breeze that helps to keep the panels a bit cooler.

As to our usage. Well it has dropped, but because the bride will be working from home more and more now, I can't see us cutting our usage any further. If anything, it will increase. I might look at some more panels down the track, but for now, I couldn't be happier with my set up. 940KWh so far.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Sorry, you're right - we produced just shy of 50kWh...

We managed almost 10 on a good day.

Bibi has got onto the wagon of turning things off at the powerpoint, and using washing machine and dishwasher etc at off-peak times.

smith
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Sorry, you're right - we produced just shy of 50kWh...

We managed almost 10 on a good day.

Bibi has got onto the wagon of turning things off at the powerpoint, and using washing machine and dishwasher etc at off-peak times.

smith
The challenge will come in a few years Smiss. Trying to get the girls to turn stuff off.