Solar panels.

all the ARSE dribble
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Solar panels.

Post by norbs »

bengatta wrote:So what you are saying is that the amount of sunlight has a direct impact on the amount of solar energy produced... Did you apply to rocket science school when you were younger? :D
Rocket science, no. Rocket surgery, indeed. :D
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

I will chat to some other rocket surgeons I know and put in a good word for you... :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

change to a combined solar/wind / rain energy panel !
FTW!
Energy in all sorts of weather!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

I want to know what happened at 8.36 am on the 22nd?

Did a nude Norbs trying to get a tan finally decide to stop lying around on the roof and go to work? Ewwwwww :eyepop:
norbs

Post by norbs »

Durrie wrote:I want to know what happened at 8.36 am on the 22nd?

Did a nude Norbs trying to get a tan finally decide to stop lying around on the roof and go to work? Ewwwwww :eyepop:
Ha! No, the shadows from the trees finally stop shading the panels and it is go time.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

Ahhhhh! that's a better mental image at least :nod:

But where did they go the next morning?
norbs

Post by norbs »

Durrie wrote:Ahhhhh! that's a better mental image at least :nod:

But where did they go the next morning?
Pretty sure that day was cloudy as shit.
Durrie

Post by Durrie »

I obviously don't understand the chart, what it's recording or the ins and outs of solar power panels. :(

It looks to me like, under the shade of the trees in the morning, the power generated is higher on the cloudy day (100 to 200 watts) than on the sunny day (around 50 watts). Is shade darker on sunny days?

Also, on the sunny day, the power peaked at about 1600 watts, but 1900 watts on the cloudy day (presumably between clouds).

Does the monitor actually measure the output? or is it approximating based on other measures?

Just interested.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Durrie wrote:I obviously don't understand the chart, what it's recording or the ins and outs of solar power panels. :(

It looks to me like, under the shade of the trees in the morning, the power generated is higher on the cloudy day (100 to 200 watts) than on the sunny day (around 50 watts). Is shade darker on sunny days?

Also, on the sunny day, the power peaked at about 1600 watts, but 1900 watts on the cloudy day (presumably between clouds).

Does the monitor actually measure the output? or is it approximating based on other measures?

Just interested.
It is just a trace of the outputs for the day taken every 3 mins. Yeah, the 1900watt peak would have been when it went from shade to bright sun all of a sudden. It did the same today, hit 2300W for a few minutes then must have gone into shade again.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Thanks to a clever bastard at Whirlpool, I now have a stack of statistics on my panels that updates every 10 minutes or so.

http://norbs.tk/solarstats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Chaps - in a nutshell, are there any Govt rebates etc at present to offset the capital cost of doing this (in NSW)?
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I want Solar just for the stats!

According to my last bill, I used 1125kWh (90 days). I don't understand this.. what size system would I need to cover that?
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Chaps - in a nutshell, are there any Govt rebates etc at present to offset the capital cost of doing this (in NSW)?
Just the RECS rebates.
norbs

Post by norbs »

kwijibo wrote:I want Solar just for the stats!

According to my last bill, I used 1125kWh (90 days). I don't understand this.. what size system would I need to cover that?

That is 12.5kWh a day. So probably around a 3kW system I reckon. Check this for a better estimate.

http://solar.norbtech.com/2010/08/15/ce ... ar-panels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

norbs wrote:
kwijibo wrote:I want Solar just for the stats!

That is 12.5kWh a day. So probably around a 3kW system I reckon. Check this for a better estimate.

http://solar.norbtech.com/2010/08/15/ce ... ar-panels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool, thats helpful, but probably means way out of the price range I'd consider doing it in.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

norbs wrote:
smithcorp wrote:Chaps - in a nutshell, are there any Govt rebates etc at present to offset the capital cost of doing this (in NSW)?
Just the RECS rebates.
Hey norbs - is this the process?

1. work out size of system needed, based on past power bills

2. get some quotes for system

3. install system, get RECs rebates based on size of system (I assume you get these at installation based on some kind of formula for forward enegery production)

4. sign over REC rebates to installer. Bulk of cost of installation is covered by this, and you pay the balance (are there interest-free Govt loans to help with this?)

5. register for solar scheme (gross, net?) so that panels sell energy to Govt at peak times.

I've read a few Whirlpool threads and some Govt websites and it seems confusing as hell.
smiss
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:
norbs wrote:
Just the RECS rebates.
Hey norbs - is this the process?

1. work out size of system needed, based on past power bills

2. get some quotes for system

3. install system, get RECs rebates based on size of system (I assume you get these at installation based on some kind of formula for forward enegery production)

4. sign over REC rebates to installer. Bulk of cost of installation is covered by this, and you pay the balance (are there interest-free Govt loans to help with this?)

5. register for solar scheme (gross, net?) so that panels sell energy to Govt at peak times.

I've read a few Whirlpool threads and some Govt websites and it seems confusing as hell.
smiss

Pretty much Smiss. Most of it is looked after by the installer if you get a good one. Give me a ring if you want to chat about it.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Digging a bit deeper into this - we use between 7 and 8 kW/h in summer and about 11 to 12 in winter. We don't have aircon, but in winter Bibi runs a couple of column heaters - we could probably put ceiling insulation in to get the place warmer in winter. On this basis, I figure a 2kW/h system would cover 90-100 percent of our power needs. Should I bother with going bigger than 1.5 kW/h (in terms of lowering cost of our power use)? I read on Whirlpool a comment saying there's little point in going with a 1.5 kW/h system (no idea what that's based on).
norbs

Post by norbs »

smithcorp wrote:Digging a bit deeper into this - we use between 7 and 8 kW/h in summer and about 11 to 12 in winter. We don't have aircon, but in winter Bibi runs a couple of column heaters - we could probably put ceiling insulation in to get the place warmer in winter. On this basis, I figure a 2kW/h system would cover 90-100 percent of our power needs. Should I bother with going bigger than 1.5 kW/h (in terms of lowering cost of our power use)? I read on Whirlpool a comment saying there's little point in going with a 1.5 kW/h system (no idea what that's based on).
Sorry Smiss, I forgot to call you back today. Will try tomorrow.

1.5kW is sort of the sweet spot for RECS credits vs out lay. It is a bit complicated. Remember, you currently get about 3 times more for the power you export than what you pay, so even a 1.5kW system will probably negate your bills.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Great, fanks. Whirpoolers seem to recommend a mob called Hanna Electrical, so I'll start with them.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

This came in on my fax at work today.. good timing but I'm not filled with confidence by their web page

http://www.unleashsolar.com.au/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norbs

Post by norbs »

kwijibo wrote:This came in on my fax at work today.. good timing but I'm not filled with confidence by their web page

http://www.unleashsolar.com.au/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Make sure you look into it a bit. There are a shit load of shonky dealers out there.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

What is it you need to look out for, mate?
I'm still interested in these, especially as the price point is rather friendly with these 1-2K offers.
But if you can give us some pointers I'd very much appreciate it - and I'm sure others would too! :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
norbs

Post by norbs »

ysu wrote:What is it you need to look out for, mate?
I'm still interested in these, especially as the price point is rather friendly with these 1-2K offers.
But if you can give us some pointers I'd very much appreciate it - and I'm sure others would too! :)
The brand of panels and inverters. There is good gear and not so good stuff. Whirlpool, as bad as it can be, is actually a good place to get advice.

I got Suntech panels and and Xantrex inverter. I paid more for them, but I know they are good quality.

Also, workmanship. Some mobs do some bloody awful jobs. Crack roof tiles, use low spec cables etc etc.

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/legal/20 ... ising.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Got my first quote from Andrew Hanna Electrical in Sydney (the Whirpool favourite):

$3,300
Upsolar Mono-crystalline cells
CMS-2000 inverter
1.62kW system (would be ample for our needs it seems)
2154 kW/h per annum yield
27 month pay=back at 68c (I think current NSW FIT is 60c).

But... 8 week wait for install.

I've hit Solar Choice website to gather more quotes.

smith