56%
St Kilda Saints
44%

Total votes: 18

J.D.
Rat

Re: AFL Grand Final - St Kilda V Collingwood *possible spoil

Post by J.D. »

Amazing stuff! It was a good game too. Edge of your seat stuff.

One day Collingwood will learn to kick straight.

Lenny Hayes deserved the NSM too.

What really pisses me off is that the Grand Final is one of the biggest weeks in news and we are all spent from covering stunt after stunt after stunt as the AFL power broking coalition tries to run Melbourne for a week. It is quite demoralising to think that we will be out there doing it all again for another week.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Said to Muppet this morning I wanted a draw, cause it pisses everyone off. Then next week at 2:30pm for the first bounce a meteor crashes in to G. Might put some money on it :rofl:
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I actually lol'd. A game where there isn't a tie break on the day? Outdated.....

I'm not bagging the game. I hate to say it, but I'm starting to prefer it over NRL (but never over the proper football!) and there isn't another sport that can pull 60k+ EVERY weekend in Oz. It'll only get bigger in my opinion.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
mofodoobs

Post by mofodoobs »

Santaria wrote:I actually lol'd. A game where there isn't a tie break on the day? Outdated.....

Pftftftf, outdated my arse. I prefer it.....if you want to win a game; Do it and stop whinging when you can't manage it in the time allocated.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

mofodoobs wrote:
Santaria wrote:I actually lol'd. A game where there isn't a tie break on the day? Outdated.....

Pftftftf, outdated my arse. I prefer it.....if you want to win a game; Do it and stop whinging when you can't manage it in the time allocated.
Im with you. Tradition is tradition and shouldnt be bullied by gen-y type bullshit.

looking forward to next week :yes:
--------------
Stu
mofodoobs

Post by mofodoobs »

But I've got to know noooooowwwwwwww!!!! "It's not fair, I feel cheated"......That's the kind of bullshit I've already copped by text.

Another symptom of a shit society.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

mofodoobs wrote:Another symptom of a shit society.
Wow.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

mofodoobs

Post by mofodoobs »

J.D. wrote:
mofodoobs wrote:Another symptom of a shit society.
Wow.
Either a shit society or it's the beer talking...... I'm going with the beer 95% and the "I want it now" societal bullshit for the other 5.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

mofodoobs wrote:

not a fan of test cricket then i assume
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

w00dsy wrote:
mofodoobs wrote:

not a fan of test cricket then i assume
my guess is that he would be. and probably a big fan of it. And I would also bet he would be mighty pissed if the game at the MCG on boxing day was made into a Twenty20 fixture just so we could get a result on the day :D
--------------
Stu
Montey

Post by Montey »

Good thing for St.Kilda that the rushed behind rules don't apply during the main season.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
David Piglos Shaw
Pig
Pig

Post by David Piglos Shaw »

I'm happy for it to remain as it is. Just as I am happy to watch a Test Cricket Match for 5 days that ends in a draw. Life isn't always a win/lose situation, and I don't mind some sports reflecting that. That having been said, I can see that it will probably be changed in AFL now, and so be it. You can't stop this new-fangled "progress"
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I feel sorry for the NRL. There goes half of there interest in that grand final.

Also, this rule is well known, so you have had 30 odd years since the last one to get things changed. Don't start whining about it once it effects you if you dont like it!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I think is brilliant! And what a great game! Man, for both teams next week the stakes have just gone up another notch, you dont want to fight out two grand finals and lose!

The other thing, was that both teams today didn't deserve to lose, they both played brilliant footy in my opinion. It was actually quite a fitting 'result'. Bring on next week!

Oh, and yeah, thats a bit unfortunate if the NRL is on the same weekend?? Is it? I saw today that the two teams for the finals have been decided but thats all i know.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

The AFL Grand Final is often a scrappy and rather boring game. This one wasn't, though there were some scrappy parts to it. It was the best Grand Final I've seen in years, though I'd have obviously preferred it had Collingwood won.

The other feature worth noting was the quality of the umpiring which drew praise from all quarters. I'm sure it was a factor in maintaining the excitement.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

agreed, the umpiring was great.

on another note, I was at work today, and got all the teles on the final, and we setup one of the 3d teles and i had a look. Im probably one of the bigger 3d skeptics, but damn it was cool!! granted, only for a few mins at a time.. any more than that and i would have got sick of it, but its very impressive.
mofodoobs

Post by mofodoobs »

Bauer wrote:. And I would also bet he would be mighty pissed if the game at the MCG on boxing day was made into a Twenty20 fixture just so we could get a result on the day :D
Damn straight Bauer :D

I figure if you want to play another ten minutes or twenty minutes to break a deadlock why not just play that from the start, or just start and finish with the coin toss.

Yeah, I thought the umpiring was really good as well.

It was a fantastic game and a draw was probably the right result. I had picked Lenny Hayes to win the NSM up to half time but then was swayed to Brendan Goddard. I think it's picked at 3/4 time from memory though so Lenny stitched it up.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah it needs to be a test of the sides in the allocated time, not some exhausted roll of the dice at the end. I think its right to rematch it. Its a deadlock, so start it all over again next week. The suspense is way more epic as well... and a much more fair test of the teams.

Out of interest, what happens in NRL if its tied at the end?
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

DexterPunk wrote:Out of interest, what happens in NRL if its tied at the end?
Riot?
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

Its a load of bollocks. How can the AFL GF not have some post period time available? 10 minutes, next goal wins or something.

This kind of ruling would have been ok back in the 60's, but in todays world, you can't just assume you can "do it all again next week". You have the Comm games starting, NRL GF and most importantly MotoGP is on somewhere in the world.

I think its a very selfish rule. For the players, the teams, the spectators and fans and against all the other sports who share the air time with the AFL.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

The draw rule has been in place for a bloody long time and it's only been used in 1948, 1977 and 2010. Not bad for a rule over 60 years old to be used so little. It should stay. But last year's grand final was better mainly because Geelong won a good tight game. :) It's going to take all week for Collingwood supporters to work out whats going on. Some will need it explained. I believe Joffa is still at the G trying to work out if he puts the gold jacket on or not lol.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
mofodoobs

Post by mofodoobs »

DexterPunk wrote: Out of interest, what happens in NRL if its tied at the end?
Is it Golden Point to force a result so the rest of the universe isn't inconvenienced. I think it turns into a who can land a dropkick result.....Kinda makes a mockery of the rest of the game but if that what commercial interests want, then it's the best thing for society.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Awesome game, awesome hangover. I'm still not sure what to think of the draw - one thing is I'll have to delay my fishing trip next week by a day so I can watch the game!

Had a few bucks on Lenny Hayes for NSM too, so that was good :D
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I thought the draw, come again next week rule was the biggest anticlimax. Just go into over time and get it over and done with. Both sides including the fans all looked shattered and now they have to go through it all again. So if it draws again I assume there will be a third grand final?
Montey

Post by Montey »

Is this pole result just a coincidence?

http://www.theage.com.au/polls/afl/2010 ... 15hfo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2010 is now officially known as the year of indecision.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!