2010/11 Summer of Cricket

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
Sarsippius

Re: 2010/11 Summer of Cricket

Post by Sarsippius »

norbs wrote:Arrogance is still rife in the Australian team, and the sooner they show humility the better.
You hit the nail on the head norbs, one good win and they thought they were back at the top again. You could see it in all the talk leading up to the game and then on the first day thinking they could hit their way out of trouble like they used to.
Well done to the Poms, I think the result flatters them a little bit but they certainly deserve it and apart from crumbling at the end in Perth they've outplayed us in just about every way. They also shouldn't forget they've simply retained the ashes at this point, they haven't won the series yet.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Johnny X wrote::D

I hope they don't back off now and ensure that the series result is 3 - 1 and not a 2 - 2 draw. :vibes:
Yeah I'd love to see them seal the series as well.

Woo, and indeed, hoo!
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Shane Watson is a mother fucking sook.

That is all
--------------
Stu
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Bauer wrote:Shane Watson is a mother fucking sook.

That is all
What happened Stud. Just woke up from a nap on the couch.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

It might rain... so let's not play just incase.... WTF?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Rain has halted play between the World XI and South Africa.
--------------
Stu
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Slips catching practice again :rolleyes: , seems very little in the way of footwork in the Australian batting again :(
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Cook is making Australia pay for Beer's no-ball yesterday...
:teach:
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Given their complete lack of penetration one can only conclude that the Australian bowling attack has gone lesbian.
XLV SPORT
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jiminee wrote:Given their complete lack of penetration one can only conclude that the Australian bowling attack has gone lesbian.

GOLD
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Seems a change of captain has made bugger all difference....
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

:D
Montey

2010/11 Summer of Cricket

Post by Montey »

Jiminee wrote:Given their complete lack of penetration one can only conclude that the Australian bowling attack has gone lesbian.
One could also conclude that the bowlers are doing all that is possible and that our batsmen are just shite.

I think too much blame has been heaped on the bowlers and not enough placed at the batsmen's feet.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

It's like we have slackened off in all departments and England have done what we use to do in terms of training and the whole approach to the game. I'm very surprised at how shit we are. I thought is would have been a closer series.
Minister for Religious Genocide.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Montey wrote:
One could also conclude that the bowlers are doing all that is possible and that our batsmen are just shite.

I think too much blame has been heaped on the bowlers and not enough placed at the batsmen's feet.
Hilfenhaus has taken 6 wickets now? And he took one with his third ball! Siddle took that many on day one of the series.
Look at it another way - Cook, who was barely in the team 3 months ago, has batted for over 6 days now, 36 hours at the crease for nearly 800 runs.
They should now go down 3-1, beaten by an innings for each of those losses and that result still barely tells the story of how totally ineffective they have been as a squad.
The ABC is asking for the combined team and maybe 3 Aussies get a look in and two of those are questionable or barely scrape in. In batting order:

Cook
Strauss (Watson may be slightly ahead here, though Strauss' captaincy would get him over the line)
Trott
Pietersen
Hussey
Bell
Haddin (This is close and if Prior makes 100 tomorrow, could go his way)
Swann
Anderson
Siddle (Another close one, he has tried hard but arguably Bresnan is in better form right now)
Tremlett

The real scary thing is even with all that evidence I still feel that a lot of the hierachy feel that with a few bits of luck here and there they could of won so they are in total denial.
XLV SPORT
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Yep - time to invest in young talent...push the broom through and clear out the older non preforming players.

Outplayed by the English / south african side...WD them.
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

A little bit too easy :nod:
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

will be this morning!
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

Thank christ thats over. Well done England. I, like most Australians, didn't expect that result. I honestly thought it would be us beating England like that but how wrong was I. I hope it's a big wake up call to us and every level of our team comes under scrutiny. Been 21/22 years since we've lost so bad. We need to play more tests and cut back on the limited over stuff but greed may screw us for a while.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Well done to the poms. As poorly as we performed, England played much better than they have for years and it is a real credit to them.

I hope we can learn some lessons from them and rebuild for our next series in England. Im looking forward to it already :)
--------------
Stu
norbs

Post by norbs »

Yep, congratulations to England. They out played us everywhere, including off the field. Their selections were way better and more calculated than the Australians.

A few stand out statistics for mine.

Brad Haddin took 8 catches in 5 tests! Prior took 23! That tells the story about the bowling line and length right there.

5 English batsmen averaged over 50, with 1 averaging 127. 1 Australian averaged over 50, Hussey.

England scored 9 hundreds to Australias 3.

England won 3 games by an innings. That is a flogging in anyones book!

I am actually happy for Strauss and the English team. They did an Australia on Australia. That takes some balls and a lot of skill. Well done them.

Australia have to go back to the late 80's to see such bad results. It is time to wring the changes. Ponting, Clarke, Johnson, Hiflenhaus, Hughes and Beer need to go. It is just a matter of who replaces them. Not another test until August, so there is plenty of time to sort it out.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

Beer may actually have something - he is tall if nothing else and on a turning pitch and with support at the other end may be useful.
Clarke's decision to step away from T20 is interesting, shows some focus that has been lacking.

So many talented guys out there who are just not committed enough to take the next step. Maybe they felt that at the critical time, 5 years ago, they were not going to get a chance so settled in as Shield players. On talent alone Cosgrove, White, Voges, North, Henriques, Casson, Shaun Marsh, Noffke, Rogers, Nannes. A whole generation of players that have had no impact at test level.

Who has come into the team in the last 5 years and had an impact?
XLV SPORT
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Au ... cricketers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That list does not make for good reading with regard to recent selections. Lots of one and dones and lost on that list who will never play for Australia again.
Mitchell Johnson the only player selected in the past 10 years to take over 100 wickets and Warne and McGrath were only there for half that time - and we can all see where he is at currently.

Also interesting to note that the 9 players picked after North were bowlers or all-rounders with Khawaja finally breaking that streak this week and of the last 20 players picked, only 3 were batsmen - Rogers (1 and done and not even in the Victorian team currently), Hughes (major flaws in his technique) and North (hard to see him ever playing again).

Also look at how many all-rounders (Smith, McDonald, White) have been tried - a clear sign that the bowling and batting has been weak and the selectors have been trying to prop things up. You could also argue North should be on that list.

One last thing - Brad Hodge must have grounds for some sort of law suit looking at all that!
XLV SPORT
Johnny X
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Johnny X »

Spot on with the stats and analysis Norbs. We beat you in every department this time around. I'm also looking forward to the next meeting for the urn, I'm sure the Aussies will be back with a vengence.

We just got to keep the momentum up when India arrive this summer :nod:
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

India come here next summer so the England/India series should be a good series to keep an eye on for our next season here.