58%
No
42%

Total votes: 12

NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Should we reset the map?

Post by NeilPearson »

Talk on the server has been we reset the map and get everyone on for the first night to start building.

Some thinking this way everyone gets reset to nothing, so everyone will be on the same playing field. we have had a few new players the last few days, so the time between now and the reset date will give everyone time to learn the game, and then launch into a fresh world

I suggested we reset it on the 1st of January, sid suggested the 3rd, cos hes lame and wants a rest day... pfft

If this does happen, i would like to keep on this world for a while. alot longer than the first 2 worlds will have lasted. Build up a really awesome map, saying that if you want to stay in this world then we can do that anyway.
I have plans for some mods i seen floating around to add in, if we go the new map route they will be loaded into the new map, not before, and if we keep the same map they will be loaded at the same time. HA!

Majority wins obviously!

Thoughts?
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Re: Should we reset the map?

Post by Sambo »

I wont bother completing the F1 car if its going to be wiped out in 10 days. I don't see why we should start again, if anything the current structures should inspire people to build something just as good!
tehsid
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by tehsid »

I don't think its needed, but I think it would be fun to have everybody working together again, instead of everybody off doing there own thing. Plus, now that most people know how to play the town will look much nicer and be much more functional then it currently is. (I'd like to see a castle like town built, with roads, walls, a communal mine and everything. But maybe in later days)

Plus, this game is the most fun when everybody starts a new map at the same time. The race for wood, stone and ores is both hilarious and awesome. (and that first night!)
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I'm not sure about the reset (50/50), but how about we start to make a town (city planning) around the castle? Or have a Spleef battle night (still yet to see this in action).
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

AstrO wrote:I'm not sure about the reset (50/50), but how about we start to make a town (city planning) around the castle? Or have a Spleef battle night (still yet to see this in action).
Thats one thing i was thinking about reseting the map, we can make a city all together rather than seperate places we have now.

Im looking into terrain editing options, there is a really good one, but its not availible in beta yet.

Some great maps with settings here
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... 25&t=93573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Hmm I'd be sad to see my first home go :(

But It might be cool to set it all up so people get themselves some property and make a more organised town. Some of those map packs look sweet too. I'm down :yes: :D
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

I'm not sure about a map reset either. How about we all just drop tools and re-settle elsewhere? Are the respawn points able to be changed? I remember reading the maps in this game are a maximum 6x the surface area of the earth.. we could go on a 5 day trek or something and find a place to start new.

Of course if respawns can't be changed it kind of defeats the whole thing. I am sure Neil or Astro can set me straight here.
It's been nice, chaps.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Takumi wrote:I'm not sure about a map reset either. How about we all just drop tools and re-settle elsewhere? Are the respawn points able to be changed? I remember reading the maps in this game are a maximum 6x the surface area of the earth.. we could go on a 5 day trek or something and find a place to start new.

Of course if respawns can't be changed it kind of defeats the whole thing. I am sure Neil or Astro can set me straight here.
We could move the spawn point before, so I'm sure we will be able to again (could have been an option of hMod).
At this point it looks like the server will be able to take the load (using bugger all CPU power), and moving to a new area should free up some ram if it's coded the way I think it is (we are sitting at ~50% used of 4GB reserved for the server app as I type this).

I'll also be looking to add Teamspeak3 in the next day or 2 so we can voice chat (as long is it doesn't overload the connection).

PS We would need to setup sign posts so people could find the new location when they rejoin the server.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

well when hmod gets released, the spawn point will be able to be moved, and to "find" the new location all you would have to do is type in /spawn so thats not an issue
Bauer

Should we reset the map?

Post by Bauer »

I'm ok with a fresh start. We have all learned heaps and could better help set up a town rather than a free for all. Add to that, newer users would be on a fresher playing field. If we do go with a new map, id rather go sooner than later so my time isn't wasted knowing a change is coming.

I think a fresh start, new map, no cheats will make for a more satisfying game.
--------------
Stu
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I think it would be cool to find a new location and have a planned new start within the same map. We could also make an event of the move itself, with a minecart storage train being pushed and track being laid on the fly with our most important stuff. Traveling day & night, while fighting off monsters along the way, old west style. Think about it, It could be awesome! :D

So we leave minimal lighting behind and turn the current place into a ghost town, while taking as much stuff we need to get us start at the new location (e.g. ripping up minecart track, doors, some torches, etc...). We would also need to stock up on arrows, swords, leather (for armor) & food (for health).
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Kind of what I imagined - sounds cool doesn't it? Even no minecart could be OK - everyone carry a share of important items (torches most importantly) and we set off. If you walked at least 5 minecraft days and found somewhere that looked interesting, it'd be cool. I'd hate to lose my giant creeper, but if I knew it still existed somewhere far away on the map i'd be happy :D
It's been nice, chaps.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Neil said he's going to scout for locations tomorrow, so I'm going to tag along. He rendered an overhead view of the land, so we have an idea.
tehsid

Post by tehsid »

Yep, that sounds so cool. I'm in!
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Yep, sounds good to me to.

So if I missed the migration, and the spawn point was reset, would I be able to find you with my compass? And if so, we could leave a sign on a chest with compasses in it to help others find the help the need. A bit Burke and wills ish. Put a compass and a loaf of bread in it :)
--------------
Stu
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

thats cool idea bauer. but would need them to spawn in one point aswell. to find the chest....
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Bauer wrote: Put a compass and a loaf of bread in it :)
Lol, this is sounding awesome
It's been nice, chaps.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Last edited by AstrO on Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Yep all the way to the bottom there. Thats an awesome place. the green part on the right of the snow.
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

The map is just where people went before isn't it? Why don't we go somewhere new? :D
It's been nice, chaps.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Takumi wrote:The map is just where people went before isn't it? Why don't we go somewhere new? :D
Half of that map is new, we went out today. :D

PS Sid is still lost somewhere down south.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Damn you blokes having fun while I bust an arse building a room in the garage to sleep all the inlaws at Xmas!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

NeilPearson wrote:thats cool idea bauer. but would need them to spawn in one point aswell. to find the chest....
my thoughts were that i would spawn to my last ext point - which would be in Old Arseville and wouldnt know where anyone was (except from the forum) Any new player would auto spawn to New Arse Ville
--------------
Stu
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

norbs wrote:Damn you blokes having fun while I bust an arse building a room in the garage to sleep all the inlaws at Xmas!
Tell me about it, I sold my PC to some cranky bastard on here and finally a game comes on PC that I want to play. My laptop is kerosene powered so I have no chance.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Bauer wrote:
NeilPearson wrote:thats cool idea bauer. but would need them to spawn in one point aswell. to find the chest....
my thoughts were that i would spawn to my last ext point - which would be in Old Arseville and wouldnt know where anyone was (except from the forum) Any new player would auto spawn to New Arse Ville
that is true, and wed just make a note of it here in the forums so that people would know where the chest was!