From ARSEville to a MetropolARSE

No witty remarks yet.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

So the big move is coming. I have a thought or 2

Resetting the spawn point?

I don't know that we should and here is why.

In game death is a mild inconvenience. Maybe if you fall in lava it is worse or if you are miles away from spawn you will lose everything. If we move to our new town and leave the spawn where it is, death will be a big loss. You will not get your stuff back (unless someone was with you) and it will take a day or more to get back. It would make me look before i leap.

My second reason for not moving the spawn point is for the rush of kids we seem to have recently encountered. If we leave spawn where it is, our recent noobs can continue what they have just started. It would leave them with a learning curve that is shallow and they can build and pillage etc without being ruled as such. I don't just mean kids either. I would include new to mine craft ARSE's as well. We all went throu this phase of build and mine where and when we wanted so I don't want to take that away from and possibly deter new members. Those of us who choose to make the move will be committing to working together towards a common goal. If spawn moved, everyone and everyone would need to commit to that goal as well. If left as is, when a new member wants to join the new community, they will be welcomed.

Thoughts?
--------------
Stu
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: From ARSEville to a MetropolARSE

Post by w00dsy »

the spawn point should be out of the cock that Norbs made, it'd be like being reborn. When i saw it yesterday my son was right near it so i made him run out the end of it for old times sake. He also spent some time running around inside the balls, he said it was a bit of a trip down memory lane.
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Well i was at the new place this morning and then took a phone call.. stupid me didn't get safe before doing so.
Died and lost all my items and couldn't get back in time :( Actually got lost on the way back so I was stuffed anyway.
It's been nice, chaps.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Takumi wrote:Well i was at the new place this morning and then took a phone call.. stupid me didn't get safe before doing so.
And I think thats my point.

Leave spawn where it is for the novice, die hards must play smarter. :D
--------------
Stu
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

If the reason you don't want to reset the spawn is because of all the newer players joining, then get neil and Astro to make a whitelist? Don't penalise the rest of us. and besides, we all learnt offline while these noobs are playing first time online. Arse only server in my opinion..

People are gonna work so hard to find diamond (at least the non hackers) and then lose it like I did while digging in my mine?? I just don't think it's a good idea...
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I'm a noob. I only started playing when Neil first put his server up. :D

PS we can't move the spawn until hMod has been updated.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Lochie0911 wrote:If the reason you don't want to reset the spawn is because of all the newer players joining, then get neil and Astro to make a whitelist? Don't penalise the rest of us. and besides, we all learnt offline while these noobs are playing first time online. Arse only server in my opinion..

People are gonna work so hard to find diamond (at least the non hackers) and then lose it like I did while digging in my mine?? I just don't think it's a good idea...

its called hard core. be prepared to lose it all or stay in arseville and keep doing what you are doing now.

I also have no problem with new players joining.
--------------
Stu
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

Ok, but I just don't think it's a good idea.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

neither is stealing someones avatar lochie ;) only jokin mate.

Im a bit iffy because i would like everyone to come down to the new area, just because some of us are building a town (who ever wants to help can) doesnt mean you HAVE to help because its beeing built. If you want to go off and build in your own area a small distance away from the town then thats fine. If we leave the spawn up at the original place then alot of people will just stay up there and not bother moving to the new town, and whats the point of building MetroPolARSE if everyone is still at arseville?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

NeilPearson wrote:neither is stealing someones avatar lochie ;) only jokin mate.

Im a bit iffy because i would like everyone to come down to the new area, just because some of us are building a town (who ever wants to help can) doesnt mean you HAVE to help because its beeing built. If you want to go off and build in your own area a small distance away from the town then thats fine. If we leave the spawn up at the original place then alot of people will just stay up there and not bother moving to the new town, and whats the point of building MetroPolARSE if everyone is still at arseville?

that makes sense. In some ways I was just thinking about the new guys just joined who are pouring their soul in to whatever they are building. (like the F1 car) Those guys are about to lose it cos we are moving the spawn point.

But I concede your point about the whole point of a new town (even if I did have to check by name to see who wrote the argument) and it does makes sense. :yes:
--------------
Stu
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

Well it sounds like a bit of a null point if we can't even move the spawn point. If we can move the spawn point though I still think it should be moved. Maybe it can be set at some point between? That way you still get the harsh penalty if you die (but dont have to waste 20 minutes of your life running back to town) and people can still get back to the ARSEVille. Less frustrating for both parties.

I like the idea of a harsher penalty but its not like it would make me more cautious. 98% of the time you end up dieing because of lava so you lose your stuff anyway. I think the bigger issue is that you end up segregating the community. I thought the idea was we are starting fresh; this should apply for everyone!

Also I thought that was the reason we are MOVING and not clearing the server, so people dont lose all the work they have put in. Anyone can get back to ARSEville if they want. End of the day looking at the poll in the other thread more people wanted to RESET the server. I'm still for a complete start from scartch wipe but then I have a lot lot less to lose then everyone else.

One idea that was being passed about was to turn arseville into a ghost town (i.e remove the torches) which I'd think would be sort of cool.
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

NeilPearson wrote:neither is stealing someones avatar lochie ;) only jokin mate.

Lol, Yep I did steal your avatar :P. And I agree totally with the things neil said :) Good idea.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

w00dsy wrote:the spawn point should be out of the cock that Norbs made, it'd be like being reborn. When i saw it yesterday my son was right near it so i made him run out the end of it for old times sake. He also spent some time running around inside the balls, he said it was a bit of a trip down memory lane.
Given that it belongs to Norbs, has your wife explained why it was a trip down memory lane for him? :D
--------------
Stu
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Bauer wrote:
w00dsy wrote:the spawn point should be out of the cock that Norbs made, it'd be like being reborn. When i saw it yesterday my son was right near it so i made him run out the end of it for old times sake. He also spent some time running around inside the balls, he said it was a bit of a trip down memory lane.
Given that it belongs to Norbs, has your wife explained why it was a trip down memory lane for him? :D

Kaching!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

oops, cats out of the bag. Also Mr Admin and father of my children, there's no quick reply in this forum.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Bauer wrote:

In some ways I was just thinking about the new guys just joined who are pouring their soul in to whatever they are building. (like the F1 car) Those guys are about to lose it cos we are moving the spawn point.

It would be a shame to lose the Formula VT, but so long as its always there that's the main thing.

For me personally, I will just keep working on it until I think its done or cant be bothered anymore. I probably wont play minecraft much after I finish the F1 car anyway.
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

Sambo wrote:
Bauer wrote:

In some ways I was just thinking about the new guys just joined who are pouring their soul in to whatever they are building. (like the F1 car) Those guys are about to lose it cos we are moving the spawn point.

It would be a shame to lose the Formula VT, but so long as its always there that's the main thing.

For me personally, I will just keep working on it until I think its done or cant be bothered anymore. I probably wont play minecraft much after I finish the F1 car anyway.
Well, really no one is forcing you to move, everyone has the choice; to stay, or to move. It's just most people chose to move.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Lochie0911 wrote:
Sambo wrote:

Well, really no one is forcing you to move, everyone has the choice; to stay, or to move. It's just most people chose to move.
Absolutely, I am in no way against the move mate. All I am saying is it doesn't really concern me as I have had my fun :).
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

Sambo wrote:
Lochie0911 wrote:
Sambo wrote:

Absolutely, I am in no way against the move mate. All I am saying is it doesn't really concern me as I have had my fun :).
Coolies :)
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

The spawn point has been moved to the new town and is located just outside the main entrance. That is all.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

AstrO wrote:The spawn point has been moved to the new town and is located just outside the main entrance. That is all.
Well that will make things a little easier. :)

Thanks Astro.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

norbs wrote:Well that will make things a little easier. :)

Thanks Astro.
I also started on the street lighting and added 50 or so temporary torches around the place to reduce the mob problem. So if anyone see's someone taking the torches filling the empty lots make sure you tell them to replace them before nightfall.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Bloody creepers!
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

AstrO wrote:Bloody creepers!
I agree :) damn green things. :P
Sambo
Horse