Telstra Mobile Plans (help needed)

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
wabbit

Telstra Mobile Plans (help needed)

Post by wabbit »

I'm strongly considering moving to Telstra seeing the monthly cost doesn't seem that much more these days. I always hear that data speeds are just that bit faster and I know on the way to work Optus can drop out 2-3 times on the train (I could wait the 20secs each time sure but I'm thinking I could have it a little better).

But for the life of me I don't feel confident selecting the right plan at this point. I've hear stories that you can strip out the data from a plan and then add on a bigger data pack, which works out cheaper. Would you blokes mind helping?

Average monthly usage:

Calls: < 30 (mixed mobile and land lines)
SMS: < 30
MMS: < 5
Data: < 2GB (it changes every month but never over 2GB incl. tethering)
Cost: Currently $59/month I don't mind paying a bit more for the "goods" if needed.
* I always buy my handsets outright (if that helps).
matticooper

Re: Telstra Mobile Plans (help needed)

Post by matticooper »

hey wabbit, I'd check out the $49 cap plan (which is what I'm on) and doing exactly as you say, stripping out the data and adding in extra. Telstra do this to me by default and each month I have to ring up and get it changed because I sleep on the trains, and I only check the cricket scores before I go to sleep - so minimal use. Either go to 1 of their BS shops or ring them up.... time to time you actually people who know what they're talking about.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Thanks matticooper. I'll give em a bell when I'm feeling a bit better.

Also, I must have put my post in the wrong spot... I was dead sure a fair few blokes were using Telstra. :)
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I use telstra and it's awesome.. both optus and voda drop out on the train for me but telstra is rock solid. I'm on $79 plan.

Get a business plan if you can.. you can pay for excess data from your captains allowance!
eek