Position Vacant in IT Security

Need a hand with a home project, how to fix that bloody roof leak, hang a door etc...
Montey

Post by Montey »

If anyone knows someone in Melbourne who has a couple of (2) years of experience in general IT and would like to get in to IT Security my company has just posted a position to seek.com.au they might be interested in.

We don't need someone with decades of IT knowledge, but would like someone who is keen to get in to the security sector, who is enthusiastic, a good communicator and is smart. We will then train them in all sorts of interesting (funky) technologies and how they work together.

The job ad itself can be found at : http://www.seek.com.au/Job/security-sup ... e/18913098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you know anyone who you think is appropriate please ask them to apply, we're hiring right now.

(p.s. I ran this by Norbs before I posted it. Thanks Norbs. :yes: )
Last edited by Montey on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Re: Position Vacant in IT Security

Post by AstrO »

Any chance you could post the starting pay rate?
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

I wish i had stuck with IT sometimes. Oh well, hope you find the right person
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Here is how this is going to work Montey.

First you are going to take your normal salary and double it for Astro. Then you are going to hand him the current Subaru catalogue and say "pick one". On top of that you are going to give him full benefits and access to the company retreat on Hamilton Island.Then you are going to give me a Hi-5 and say Sam you are the man. And all will be well.

Excellent. Make it so.
Montey

Post by Montey »

The starting pay rate is between $40K & $50K ( + super) based on the level of experience and existing knowledge the candidate brings to the table.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Montey wrote:The starting pay rate is between $40K & $50K ( + super) based on the level of experience and existing knowledge the candidate brings to the table.
Cheers for the info. Thought I check because things have changed in terms of my personal situation and I've been keeping an eye out for alternative career paths. :)

Sambo wrote:Here is how this is going to work Montey.

First you are going to take your normal salary and double it for Astro. Then you are going to hand him the current Subaru catalogue and say "pick one". On top of that you are going to give him full benefits and access to the company retreat on Hamilton Island.Then you are going to give me a Hi-5 and say Sam you are the man. And all will be well.

Excellent. Make it so.
:rofl:
petey

Post by petey »

Wow that sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Gimme 2 years and bring it to tassie and I'm there. ;)
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Montey

Post by Montey »

AstrO wrote:
Montey wrote:The starting pay rate is between $40K & $50K ( + super) based on the level of experience and existing knowledge the candidate brings to the table.
Cheers for the info. Thought I check because things have changed in terms of my personal situation and I've been keeping an eye out for alternative career paths. :)
Well, as stated, we don't need the applicants to have significant levels of sophisticated IT knowledge, we just need them to know what an IP address is, and how to get a machine on to a network, etc... (not wanting to make assumptions about your levels of experience in IT) So maybe its worth dropping in a resume.... :nod:
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

ive got a mate in melbourne that ill pass it onto.. if he applies ill pass his details on to you
Montey

Post by Montey »

nutty wrote:ive got a mate in melbourne that ill pass it onto.. if he applies ill pass his details on to you
:yes: thanks :yes:
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Montey wrote:Well, as stated, we don't need the applicants to have significant levels of sophisticated IT knowledge, we just need them to know what an IP address is, and how to get a machine on to a network, etc... (not wanting to make assumptions about your levels of experience in IT)
Totally understand about not making assumptions, because I am just a random internet user. :D
I'm assuming you need to fill the role asap? Just making sure I won't be wasting your time because I'm currently in a software dev contract with a client that should end in about a month. All my other work is either by the hour/quoted programming/software jobs or home/small biz tech support, so it's not important. If it's not starting asap I'll update my resume and send via seek.

PS Sorry to be a pain in the arse.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

I am not sure if you want me Montey.. I did do a Diploma of IT networking as my highest Qualification with PC's a few years ago

Astro first and all..
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Montey

Post by Montey »

AstrO wrote:
Montey wrote:Well, as stated, we don't need the applicants to have significant levels of sophisticated IT knowledge, we just need them to know what an IP address is, and how to get a machine on to a network, etc... (not wanting to make assumptions about your levels of experience in IT)
Totally understand about not making assumptions, because I am just a random internet user. :D
I'm assuming you need to fill the role asap? Just making sure I won't be wasting your time because I'm currently in a software dev contract with a client that should end in about a month. All my other work is either by the hour/quoted programming/software jobs or home/small biz tech support, so it's not important. If it's not starting asap I'll update my resume and send via seek.

PS Sorry to be a pain in the arse.
We are in a position to hire immediately, but we will wait for the right person.

Our organisation is very much a team, so if someone comes along that can get the job done and we will enjoy working with then we will happily wait.
Montey

Post by Montey »

wobblysauce wrote:I am not sure if you want me Montey.. I did do a Diploma of IT networking as my highest Qualification with PC's a few years ago

Astro first and all..
From a technical perspective our only requirement is that you know how to operate a general workstation PC (i.e. you can send emails, surf the net, use MS Office, etc...) and know how two PC's can communicate using an IP based network (i.e. you have set up an IP network at some point, even if you think it worked because of some dark magic).

We are more after someone with the right attitude and communication skills. We can teach knowledge (my senior engineers are some of the best in the country), but teaching attitude and communication skills is far harder.

It should be noted... the position is in Melbourne (Eastern Suburbs), so if you're interstate you would have to move at your own expense.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Montey wrote:It should be noted... the position is in Melbourne (Eastern Suburbs), so if you're interstate you would have to move at your own expense.
Yep, I understand that and I've done it before (back in 2002 when I moved to NSW and designed & created most of the programs these guys sell, including the client/server). Being challenged and learning new things is quite often worth the journey. :D
Montey

Post by Montey »

AstrO wrote:
Montey wrote:It should be noted... the position is in Melbourne (Eastern Suburbs), so if you're interstate you would have to move at your own expense.
Yep, I understand that and I've done it before (back in 2002 when I moved to NSW and designed & created most of the programs these guys sell, including the client/server). Being challenged and learning new things is quite often worth the journey. :D
A challenge I could definitely promise you.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

With the limited info it still sounds pretty good to me and if I was 10~ years younger :D Best of luck Montey on finding the right person (as I know it can be tough sometimes).

*Jesus why can't I type at all tonight, I blame the meds
Last edited by wabbit on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

When I was in support I helped recruite for spots.. and its funny some of our best staff ever to come in arnt the most technical.. I remember one who basically knew shit.. he is still around and our best support person.

Support isn't technical, its about communication.. your ability to talk a person through a problem.. and most of all its about WANTING it.. its you caring about the job its about you wanting to use it as a start into IT.. I see too many people take the job and not giving a fuck..

I started in support, lasted >1 year and now 3 years on I run massive projects with million+ budgets.. and its giving a fuck that makes the difference.. Learning who/what/where/why things happen, taking the extra step to get as much info as possible before sending the job on.
GT VIRUS
Karen

Post by GT VIRUS »

Which is why I gave up on IT. As a hobby, I enjoy working on computers, but the more I got into them the more I realised I could not keep going as a career. Maybe I would of found an area I enjoy, but after 2 years at uni having not found it, It wasn't worth it. Now I have a career I want to take up, and am working hard towards it, I feel much better about my outlook on life.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Exactly the same boat here GT. There was a time where IT was what I was studying and supposed to be my career. Turns out I'm usually just good at fault finding and determined enough to fix my own issues so I can play games :) I don't mind the fiddling around and such, I still actually like building up my own puters etc... It's been a huge asset to my photographic work, computers and imaging are now happily married whether photographers like it or not.

But same as you, it was a hobby that I just didn't want as a career.

It does sound like a fantastic job opportunity though for someone keen on IT. I may actually know someone who might be interested. (I'm in SE melb). If I was 5 years younger before I knew what a camera was, I would have loved it.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Same deal as the above - I did IT at uni for a few years. I liked computers and it was the mid 90s so things were really taking off. I realised a couple of years in that doing IT for a career wasn't for me (although I look enviously at the salaries of my mates that finished their degrees!). I went to TAFE instead to do building design - not because I like architecture or design but because you get to draw on computers which combined two of my great loves. Now I get to run the computers at my office in addition to drawing and also teach the program I use at TAFE which is kind of cool.

Sounds like a great opportunity, Montey - I really like that you're looking for the right person rather than the most experience. 99% of stuff is learnt on the job anyway. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Montey

Post by Montey »

DexterPunk wrote:I may actually know someone who might be interested.
Please refer them to the ad' on Seek. We are casting the net pretty wide to get the right person, as we want to invest serious amounts of knowledge in them so it is important that we get the right person who wants to stick around for the long term.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I'm in the same boat, spent too long drifting not knowing what I wanted and now I'm too old. It'd be too much of a step back in terms of pay (and it's in the wrong state) but it's nice to dream :)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I will do it for 30k, save you some money, there are some conditions, they are as follows..

I probably won't show up
I require my years salary in advance

Thanks.
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

If the position is still available, and you don't mind having a hairy (long hair and beard) dude working on your machines, I'd be glad to have a chat to you about it.. done more years in basic IT stuff than I care to acknowledge. Hell, even ran my own computer shop for several years back in a small country town in central Vic. Been doing pest control for too damn long now, need to get back into where I started.

I'm in the Eastern 'burbs too, so no biggie. Shoot me a pm and we'll talk.
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."