Bike Maintenance.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Bike Maintenance.

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: Thanks for the link. I have bought one to save me the cost at the LBS. :yes:
excellent, though unless you are super confident, might be worth getting the LBS to have a crack at it still. It's not hard work to replace the axle, but pretty fiddly as you are probably already aware!

CLP
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote: Thanks for the link. I have bought one to save me the cost at the LBS. :yes:
excellent, though unless you are super confident, might be worth getting the LBS to have a crack at it still. It's not hard work to replace the axle, but pretty fiddly as you are probably already aware!

CLP

Yeah, I will take it in on Monday. Needs to be fixed by Thursday, when the in laws arrive for 12 days. I will be doing some pedalling in that 12 days. :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: Yeah, I will take it in on Monday. Needs to be fixed by Thursday, when the in laws arrive for 12 days. I will be doing some pedalling in that 12 days. :)
Aww .. that's nice of you to take your in-laws on some cycling sight seeing ;)
norbs

Post by norbs »

After yesterdays lazy ride, I went out to clean the grime off the old Merida. Managed to dig some foreign bodies out of front and rear tyres.

Front.

Rear.

The Serfas tyres are pretty good considering the shit I dragged out of them.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

CLP wrote:these arrived for me yesterday :)
cool.jpg
Cool bling , I like 'em . Where did you get them from CLP ? I want some too :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

mrleisure wrote: Cool bling , I like 'em . Where did you get them from CLP ? I want some too :D
grabbed those from Chainreaction. I think about $60 for the pair. (also got some anodised jockey wheel bolts to match for about $7 ;) you can never have too much bling :D )
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

CLP wrote: you can never have too much bling :D )
100% Correct :D
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Just a quick word about Chain Reaction. Don't know how many of you guys use the place, but if you do, check your Credit Card balances. They were recently hacked and a few people are getting stung. A bloke I ride & work with suprisingly found his CC some $2500 out of pocket today.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Just a quick word about Chain Reaction. Don't know how many of you guys use the place, but if you do, check your Credit Card balances. They were recently hacked and a few people are getting stung. A bloke I ride & work with suprisingly found his CC some $2500 out of pocket today.
thanks for the reminder Hz... had read about it in a few places but took the opportunity to check my account.. nothing suspicious..all good. now i just have to work out how to pay for all these bike related purchases :scratch:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Well, after my issues with trying to loosen my bottom bracket a while ago, I decided to take my roadie into a LBS (Bio Mechanics Cycles and Repairs) to get it seen to. Figured I might as well get a service while I was at it.

$323 later and she's running pretty smoothly :fall:

To be fair, most of that is labour, and the work done is at a very good standard compared to the larger chains of bike store (Miss V previously has used them too and got excellent service). I could have probably got this work done cheaper elsewhere, but doubt it would have been done to the same standard.. worth paying a premium to get it done right

Possibly the only annoying thing is the removal of a inline gear cable adjuster, quoting that they don't use them and provided some fair reasoning as to why.. but might have been nice to give me the option. Cassette and chain were said to be "extremely worn" but I've elected to change those myself (especially given the price of said items in the LBS!). One thing that they did which i thought was good was they faced the bottom bracket shell, which as Flinty has said previously plays an important role in making things run smooth.. nice touch.

rolled out of there with a BMCR bandana as well, because they looked cool :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

I have been slowly moving all the accessories from the old bike to the new bike. The second drink cage has be puzzled. See photo below.

Apart from it being very low, the front derailer bracket seems to be in the way.

Flinty and CLP, is this normal?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:I have been slowly moving all the accessories from the old bike to the new bike. The second drink cage has be puzzled. See photo below.

Apart from it being very low, the front derailer bracket seems to be in the way.

Flinty and CLP, is this normal?
yep.

you need a couple of risers/spacers and maybe slightly longer bolts. the spacers only have to be about 1/2 cm tall. My bike came with them, though Miss V's avanti didn't

solutions
1) get spacers,
2) relocate front derailleur
3) remove front derailleur

personally i'd go with solution number 1 ;)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

already posted this on ACF, but thought i'd repost here just in case anyone on ARSE is having the same issue :)

you need these
norbs

Post by norbs »

Good guide to cleaning a bike.

http://www.purpleextreme.com/cleaning.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Got any good guides to making my chain not squeek?
norbs

Post by norbs »

kwijibo wrote:Got any good guides to making my chain not squeek?

See the guide on cleaning.

You need to clean the chain, then give it a good lube.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
kwijibo wrote:Got any good guides to making my chain not squeek?

See the guide on cleaning.

You need to clean the chain, then give it a good lube.
also check the derailleur jockey wheels.. make sure they're not the source of the squeak
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

The derailleur jockey wheels you say? I have no idea about bike parts. I think I'll spray it with inox and be done :lol:
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Woman's bike to a MAN's bike at no cost.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

with a stereo to.

Just a question guys, I finally bothered to replace the tube in the front wheel on my bike, so now i can ride again, but it hasnt been ridden since about feburary last year. nor has it been serviced by the bikeshop ever.

Should I take it in for a service costing me roughly $110 or do my own service and what do i need to look out for? The gears change okay, and nothing seems to creak.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

How many km's has it done?

I'd just make sure everything is tight/solid and works and give the chain a good lubing, if you havent ridden it in a year because you couldnt be bothered changing a flat then it might be wise to hold onto your money
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Yep, DIY, plenty of YouTube vids around on what to do. Just make sure u use the right tools
norbs

Post by norbs »

New tyres for the Avanti today. Also had a wash and a few little adjustments.

norbs

Post by norbs »

Had a crack at the bottom bracket on Saturday.

http://norbs.tk/36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Had a crack at the bottom bracket on Saturday.

http://norbs.tk/36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
Good job .. how much effort, possibly measured in profanity, is required to loosen the bottom bracket? I've had a go in the past and not been successful.. :( i imagine i just need to give it more effort... I have a blingtacular red anodised Hope bottom bracket ready to install if i can get the old one off!

re: the clicking noise.. what is the position of the front derailleur cable end in relation to the cranks? i know i've found a clicking noise to be the cable hitting the cranks every revolution in the past ..