Bike Maintenance.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Bike Maintenance.

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote:Had a crack at the bottom bracket on Saturday.

http://norbs.tk/36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
Good job .. how much effort, possibly measured in profanity, is required to loosen the bottom bracket? I've had a go in the past and not been successful.. :( i imagine i just need to give it more effort... I have a blingtacular red anodised Hope bottom bracket ready to install if i can get the old one off!

re: the clicking noise.. what is the position of the front derailleur cable end in relation to the cranks? i know i've found a clicking noise to be the cable hitting the cranks every revolution in the past ..

I ended up giving it a good solid hit with the rubber mallet and that fixed it.

Nope, we looked at that. Have tried skewers front and rear, seat post, stem, pedals, chain ring bolts, front derailer alignment and now bottom bracket.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs

Post by norbs »

First run at the Speedplay pedals since I got them.

http://norbs.tk/4a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:First run at the Speedplay pedals since I got them.

i'm surprised that they needed attention so soon! :o
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote:First run at the Speedplay pedals since I got them.

i'm surprised that they needed attention so soon! :o

They didn't really. It is just that I am riding over this shitty rode and washing and lubing the bike nearly every day I ride it. I just thought I would give it a go. :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: They didn't really. It is just that I am riding over this shitty rode and washing and lubing the bike nearly every day I ride it. I just thought I would give it a go. :)
Lol.. ok, that's fair enough :)

in other bike maintenance stuff.. I got me one of these looks pretty neat. :)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Testing out Carls Mate at Bio Mechanics tomorrow night for a Fork Rebuild after a little bit of Detonation went on. DAMN YOU EXPENSIVE FOX FORKS!!!!!! damn you and your constant maintenance at $200 a pop.. Damn you.....

He better be good Carl... or I will hunt you down!!!!!! lol.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Testing out Carls Mate at Bio Mechanics tomorrow night for a Fork Rebuild after a little bit of Detonation went on. DAMN YOU EXPENSIVE FOX FORKS!!!!!! damn you and your constant maintenance at $200 a pop.. Damn you.....

He better be good Carl... or I will hunt you down!!!!!! lol.
:rofl:
apparently other local shops send fork/shock rebuild work to them too, so they must be ok :P

trust me! what could go wrong? ;)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Ok. Bio Mechanics get a big thumbs up.

Without a doubt the most no nonsense bike shop I have ever dealt with.

Took my forks in on Friday night for a Seal repair and service, they explained the options I had in regards to new seals and whatnot, they actually pushed me towards a Cheaper seal as they thought it was a better product than the genuine fox parts. That does not happen enough these days. I was impressed at that point. They quoted me $200 for the service, which was a little more expensive than some other places, but as Carl said, they were the only place in Adelaide that would not send them away for god knows how long. They said they would be done on Monday, but they will email me once done.

So, Got an email yesterday that it was done... holy shit, after dealing with 4 other bike shops prior to this, this was the 1st bike shop I did not have to constantly ring to get any work done, and the 1st one that actually had it done by the time they said. To top that off, when I went in to pick it up today, I was only charged $149 as they stated they always like to over quote to cover for any extras. Another 1st time thing to happen, I have always had to pay more than originally quoted as they have always mysteriously found something else that needed doing.

So, in summary, Bio Mechanics in Adelaide are the Best Bike shop I have ever dealt with. Fast & Proffesional. Highly reccomended, they'll be getting all my business from now on.

Thanks for the heads up Carl.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I took my bike in to my local as my rear hub is making horrible noises and my rim is way out of true and i wanted to check out the hub (i purposely didnt mention the rim). I also wanted my brake cables shortened. 1 week later and all they had done was grease up the headset for me and couldnt find anything wrong with the hub let alone mention the wheel was untrue. I can bloody well hear and see the problem yet a professional bike mechanic cant? Oh and they didnt have the parts to bleed my brakes....?

Seeya.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Ok. Bio Mechanics get a big thumbs up.
glad you had a good experience with them.. :yes:

i was impressed first time i walked in the door there just browsing.. made me want to come back and get stuff done. They're not the cheapest place, but they more than make up for it in quality.

you'll probably get a follow up email asking how things are going with your fork.. just to make sure you're happy (hell, Lia from BMCR emailed me checking that i was happy with a pair of gloves i bought from them.. unexpected)

I've also been impressed that whenever i (or V) has picked up a bike from being serviced, despite being flat out, Pete can take a few minutes to go through what's been done and/or what he's found.. small touch, but really important for customer confidence

that reminds me.. i should book in a bike fit with BMCR :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Enforcer-J wrote: I can bloody well hear and see the problem yet a professional bike mechanic cant? Oh and they didnt have the parts to bleed my brakes....?

Seeya.
who is your LBS?? sounds terrible :(
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

CLP wrote:
Enforcer-J wrote: I can bloody well hear and see the problem yet a professional bike mechanic cant? Oh and they didnt have the parts to bleed my brakes....?

Seeya.
who is your LBS?? sounds terrible :(
Avanti Plus @ Salisbury. I've given them a second chance after previous shoddy work but they blew it! I get on well with the manager there and they've been pretty helpful but as far as the mechanical side of things go I'll never be taking my bike there again.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

So hard to find a trustworthy bike shop, Never have I known another industry that is full of such incompetence.... oh wait... well, apart from Government.

I don't mind paying a bit more for quality, but what I hate is being asked to pay more, and the job is not fucking done right.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

:(

I was hoping to ride at least 100km this weekend. 7km into the first ride and I start hearing clicky grindy noises from the rear hub when spinning in either direction which quickly got worse.

Hopefully I can pull it apart and sort out the problem. It's still under warranty, but that would require a 50 min drive into the cbd. If they're even open at any point this weekend.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

DarrenM wrote::(

I was hoping to ride at least 100km this weekend. 7km into the first ride and I start hearing clicky grindy noises from the rear hub when spinning in either direction which quickly got worse.
bummer! not a good start to the long weekend :( hopefully you can get it sorted soon. grindy noises in each direction i imagine would be bearings... if your wheels have loose bearings you might be able to spend a bit of time cleaning them out.. hope you can sort it out soon! :)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Got the axle out and it still makes the noise. It appears to be in the cassette body thingy. I don't have the required tool to remove it, so I'll take it to the bike shop next week and try for a warranty job.

I'll just have to dust off the mtb and see how I go with it :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

The road works are starting to take their toll on my bike. It is creaking and rattling like a bastard. But it is still rolling. Got a good wash and going over today. Taking the big fella over the back out for his first 100km ride tomorrow. Fingers crossed. :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

DarrenM wrote:Got the axle out and it still makes the noise. It appears to be in the cassette body thingy. I don't have the required tool to remove it, so I'll take it to the bike shop next week and try for a warranty job.

I'll just have to dust off the mtb and see how I go with it :)
2 hour drive south and we can have a look for you on Sunday. :) Then maybe have a roll around here. Just a suggestion, no pressure. ;)
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

It's ok. If it won't cost me anything, they can do it at the shop.

I'd love to come down for a ride some time, but I can't do Sunday. It's closer to 3 hours drive from my place to yours though. Maybe we could meet part way in RNP or Wollongong.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Lesson learned tonight.

Check tyre pressure with your thumb, as well as the gauge. The gauge on mine fucked up royal tonight, blowing up the tube into bits around my room at "70psi". Put another tube in, got it right with my thumb, checked the gauge, it read 35psi. :eek:

Might ask some questions at the shop tomorrow but hopefully this patched tube will last 50km in the morning.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I am half way through installing the new gatorskins on the first wheel. Jesus fucking christ. I've been at it for 30 minutes already and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. These fuckers better be as puncture resistant as they say, cos if I get a flat on the way to work I may as well start peddling home by time I get it replaced.

Will update when I am done.
norbs

Post by norbs »

kwijibo wrote:I am half way through installing the new gatorskins on the first wheel. Jesus fucking christ. I've been at it for 30 minutes already and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. These fuckers better be as puncture resistant as they say, cos if I get a flat on the way to work I may as well start peddling home by time I get it replaced.

I had the same issues with the 28mm ones I had.

Leave them in the sun for a while before you try and mount them. I also found a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid smeared on the rim helped. But make sure you get it all off before you ride the bike. :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

kwijibo wrote:I am half way through installing the new gatorskins on the first wheel. Jesus fucking christ. I've been at it for 30 minutes already and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. These fuckers better be as puncture resistant as they say, cos if I get a flat on the way to work I may as well start peddling home by time I get it replaced.

:rofl: i didn't have much trouble with mine. It does depend a lot on the rims you have though. some tyre/rim combinations are notoriously difficult...
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I'm a quick learner it seems - got the second one on in about 5 minutes!

Also took the opportunity to clean out a bit of grease and grime from the chain and cogs, and relube it all. Then thought I'd finally try out instagram to see what the fuss is all about... I'm still not sure.

I really need to mow the lawn :(
norbs

Post by norbs »

The photo is a bit blurry, but is that a massive black dork disc on the rear wheel?