Joined the darkside.

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Santaria

Joined the darkside.

Post by Santaria »

Went out and spent, basically what I could spend ($400), on a mountain bike today. I'm actually really excited and itching for 4:00PM to roll around. I went INTO the shop and took the time to make sure it was comfy. It's chalk and cheese compared to my other bike. It was a Kmart banger that was really uncomfortable (guess that's why I didn't ride it).

It's a Trek 3500. I'm really happy with it. Cant' wait! :vibes:
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Joined the darkside.

Post by CLP »

Santaria wrote: It's a Trek 3500. I'm really happy with it. Cant' wait! :vibes:
Congrats & enjoy!!! :D
look forward to the ride report when you get back from your first ride on your new bike :)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

CLP wrote:
Santaria wrote: It's a Trek 3500. I'm really happy with it. Cant' wait! :vibes:
Congrats & enjoy!!! :D
look forward to the ride report when you get back from your first ride on your new bike :)
Already know what it's going to be: Fucked.

*Edit: Oh, you meant the bike :P
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Pics!!!

Trek's are rad man, They make my dream bike...mmmmm
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

2 days, feels good man.

2 thing I need to ask:
- My arse hurts from the seat, does this/will this get better?
- Does footwear really matter? I've got fairly light Globes that I wear and think are great for the bike, I've been told otherwise.

Overall though, I'm enjoying it, I feel better for it. I'm thinking I need to tilt the seat forward more or something to help alleviate the hurting, or wait until I lose some Kg's and hope I'll get used to it. I'm not leaning forward aggressively when riding and it's helping my back not hurt and my legs feel the ache all over and not just on my quads. AALLLSSSOOOO: Will it be good for getting ride of my gut bulge, or should I incorporate some sit-ups/crunches into the session?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

proper clycling shoes with cleats and all are a must!

best things ever
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Santaria wrote: - My arse hurts from the seat, does this/will this get better?
maybe.. you need to define "hurts" a bit better. more than likely the pain is hovering over the sit bones. over time that pain will reduce/disappear (assuming that your bike is fitted correctly).
Santaria wrote: - Does footwear really matter? I've got fairly light Globes that I wear and think are great for the bike, I've been told otherwise.
probably a personal thing. i love riding on clipless pedals and would never go back to riding in running shoes, or the seriously old school straps and cleats. It also depends on what sort of riding you do. Using a set of clipless pedals with appropriate shoes etc will definitely be more efficient at getting leg power to the ground, but if you're only travelling short distances, then it may not be worth the effort and you may be better off with some stiff soled running shoes
Santaria wrote: AALLLSSSOOOO: Will it be good for getting ride of my gut bulge, or should I incorporate some sit-ups/crunches into the session?
probably not. You can't target weight/fat loss. the body will tend to lose fat from the limbs first before the torso. Over time you will lose it, but there's no quick fix

Cheers,
CLP
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I don't use clipless, but it's only through lack of confidence to be honest. I want some for my longer rides, but for the XC and singletrack stuff I tend to have quite the thrashy style, and it involves a lot of moments where one foot is off the pedals. So i'm working up to it.

But if you are mainly riding around on roads and bike paths, then sure, go for it, they'll be beneficial. Just make sure you take the time in the driveway to practice getting in and out and setting them up.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

meanwhile, where are the pics?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:I don't use clipless, but it's only through lack of confidence to be honest.

exact opposite of me.. i had no confidence on the MTB until i had my feet locked in place like on my roadie.
My MTB came with clipless pedals (though they had a clip in platform straight out of the shop) so all i needed was MTB shoes :)
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Santaria wrote:2 days, feels good man.

2 thing I need to ask:

i resisted getting cycling knicks because i didn't want to look like one of them poofy lycra guys, but i relented after talking to Norbs about it and it's been my best bike purchase by far. It's taken any discomfort i had out of my arse. I din't want to spend the $80 cos i saw it as a rip off, but honestly it's been worth every cent.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

A real mountain biker doesn't need a seat!
Santaria

Re: Re: Joined the darkside.

Post by Santaria »

w00dsy wrote:
Santaria wrote:2 days, feels good man.

2 thing I need to ask:

i resisted getting cycling knicks because i didn't want to look like one of them poofy lycra guys, but i relented after talking to Norbs about it and it's been my best bike purchase by far. It's taken any discomfort i had out of my arse. I din't want to spend the $80 cos i saw it as a rip off, but honestly it's been worth every cent.
I didn't get cycling pants, but I did get some football training tights and shorts in 1, and yeah, took heaps of pain out. Pics up tomoz :) Its a bit dirty now. Its been good to want to ride. I was going to have a rest day as my legs are smashed, but felt guilty, so I'll rest tomorrow.