William Shatner releases metal album; Shatner's greatest hit

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Going to be an interesting listen.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-p ... l_alb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
William Shatner releases metal album; Shatner's greatest hits
By Elizabeth Flock

Most of us appreciate William Shatner for his cult acting roles as Capt. James T. Kirk on "Star Trek," Denny Crane on the "Practice," and now the dad on "$#*! My Dad Says." Even if he doesn't always like us back. (He once famously advised a room full of trekkies: "Get a life").

Less known is the extent of Shatner's unconventional and much-parodied musical career, which began in 1968 with "The Transformed Man," and has seen six album releases to date.

This week Shatner announced he's venturing into another musical genre: Metal. He tweeted his plans to release a metal album with the tentative title "Seeking Major Tom." The album will have a space odyssey theme.

[quote="William Shatner']Just watched tracks being laid down by Zakk Wylde of Black Label Society for my upcoming record SEEKING MAJOR TOM. My best, Billless than a minute ago via web

True to Shatner's cover song fetish, classic metal covers such as Black Sabbath's "Iron Man," Foo Fighters' "Learn to Fly," David Bowie's "Space Oddity," and a spoken word version of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" are rumored to be on the album. He's also roped in big metal names, such as Zakk Wylde, Peter Frampton, and Brian May of Queen (though May won't be contributing to 'Bohemian Rhapsody').
In honor of Shatner's upcoming release, we put together a round up of Shatner's wackiest musical releases, many of them in Shatner's classic punctuated spoken word-sing style.

From Shatner's first album "The Transformed Man," his own interpretation of Elton's John "Rocket Man."

[youtube] [/youtube]

Mad magazine called Shatner's cover of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" "truly unfortunate." George Clooney chose this song as a Desert Island Disc on BBC show that he would bring along if marooned to get him off the island.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Shatner does a spoken word version of Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady."

[youtube] [/youtube]

Shatner with Taiwanese singer Lin Yu Chun singing "Total Eclipse of the Heart."

[youtube] [/youtube]

[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Side-note, For people that don't know Lin Yu Chun nice little video .
[youtube] [/youtube]
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: William Shatner releases metal album; Shatner's greatest

Post by Exar Kun »

True to Shatner's cover song fetish, classic metal covers such as Black Sabbath's "Iron Man," Foo Fighters' "Learn to Fly," David Bowie's "Space Oddity," and a spoken word version of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" are rumored to be on the album.
Sabbath maybe but the rest... metal?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

I thought the same thing Mick. and heavy metal big names Peter Frampton? Even Brian May is a stretch. Rock yes, metal no.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

I know.. but to him well.. it could be quite different.

Brian May isn't even going to do the Queen song.

[youtube] [/youtube]
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

William Shatners version of Common People is just fricken Brilliant!