Disc brakes on roadies could be closer...

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

... than I thought.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/project68.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very interesting. :yes:
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
thornz

Re: Disc brakes on roadies could be closer...

Post by thornz »

Excuse my ignorance, but why havent they been possible in the past when they are so common on a mountain bike?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

I'm confused...I've seen bikes with disc brakes for years on the roads...
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

ysu wrote:I'm confused...I've seen bikes with disc brakes for years on the roads...

they are probably mountain bikes or hybrids though i assume, not road racing type bikes.
norbs

Post by norbs »

EDIT : Beaten by w00dsy.

From my limited knowledge on it, most of the bikes, if not all of the ones with disc brakes, would be MTB or hybrids like mine. They have either suspension front forks or very heavy forks. Road bike forks just aren't strong enough apparently.

That is taken from this site... http://www.rodbikes.com/articles/brakes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

aha! thanks!
we always learn something new...:)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Whats the advantage of having those brakes?
norbs

Post by norbs »

Sambo wrote:Whats the advantage of having those brakes?

Discs Sam?

They stop you really well. Even in the rain. I have never had any of the exotic brake pads on my bikes, so I don't really know how well they do, but I do know the normal pads fade on big down hills.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i've never owned dics but i know from experience that V brakes suck balls in the rain. They are fine in the dry though.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Norbs you must have telepathic abilities cause last Thur night on my commute home I saw a guy on a Road Bike with Disc's and get this the frame & forks were all carbon. :O
I actually think only the top half of the forks were full-carbon then semmelessly bonded to aluminimum lowers with a carbon wrap. They were branded Trigon iirc..
From our very brief discussion he mentioned the frame was a cyclo-cross roadie & was a $500 chinese internet bargain , the forks also a cyclo-cross derivative, cost him about the same and I am pretty sure he said he had Avid cable operated discs. He said he had to have cable operated brakes due to wanting to have normal road bike drop bars as there is no system currently available for drop bar shifters with hydralic brake lines, well except for that Canyon. Not sure what wheels he had but they were 700C slicks either 28's or 32's. The bike looked awesome and like he said he never has any trouble with braking efficiency in the wet.
It left me thinking what a robust commuter it must be & how great it would be for my new commute out to Broady, pity I have other bikes on the shopping list before doing this but I want to do it one day. Damn that Canyon looks wicked but dual front disc's, seriously. :yes:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs

Post by norbs »

Flinty72 wrote:Norbs you must have telepathic abilities cause last Thur night on my commute home I saw a guy on a Road Bike with Disc's and get this the frame & forks were all carbon. :O
I actually think only the top half of the forks were full-carbon then semmelessly bonded to aluminimum lowers with a carbon wrap. They were branded Trigon iirc..
From our very brief discussion he mentioned the frame was a cyclo-cross roadie & was a $500 chinese internet bargain , the forks also a cyclo-cross derivative, cost him about the same and I am pretty sure he said he had Avid cable operated discs. He said he had to have cable operated brakes due to wanting to have normal road bike drop bars as there is no system currently available for drop bar shifters with hydralic brake lines, well except for that Canyon. Not sure what wheels he had but they were 700C slicks either 28's or 32's. The bike looked awesome and like he said he never has any trouble with braking efficiency in the wet.
It left me thinking what a robust commuter it must be & how great it would be for my new commute out to Broady, pity I have other bikes on the shopping list before doing this but I want to do it one day. Damn that Canyon looks wicked but dual front disc's, seriously. :yes:
Yeah, ACF have a few people either doing it or researching it. I talked to the LBS about it and they say the latest caliper brakes are just as good. I had a quick ride of a carbon bike with some exotic pads on it and it stopped very quickly. I wasn't going very fast though because I didn't have a clue how to operate the gears and the seat was way to high for me so I was like a kid on his first racer. I just dont know how it would go on the big down hill I do on occasions. Having used discs, it would be hard to go back, especially in the wet.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

flinty, would you rather a warped fork? :nod:

norbs, Down some of the big hills would be the main test for comparison... but then you would have to ride up it.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
norbs

Post by norbs »

wobblysauce wrote:flinty, would you rather a warped fork? :nod:

norbs, Down some of the big hills would be the main test for comparison... but then you would have to ride up it.

We have hills up here. Melbourne is as flat as a shit carters hat! :)

Cue ARSEstrong! :lol:
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

norbs wrote:

Discs Sam?

They stop you really well. Even in the rain. I have never had any of the exotic brake pads on my bikes, so I don't really know how well they do, but I do know the normal pads fade on big down hills.
I didn't realise they were that bad in the rain or had that much heat degradation. Interesting.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Sambo wrote: I didn't realise they were that bad in the rain or had that much heat degradation. Interesting.

Like I said, the exotic pads may be a lot better, Flinty might know. All I know is that I have to let go of over 30 years of instinct in the wet these days. I am used to grabbing a fist full in the wet and waiting for the rim to dry off, so braking was not exactly immediate. First ride in the pissing rain with discs I grabbed a heap of rear brake and the bake nearly went out from under me.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

I would have thought they would suffer from similar problems, I suppose with disc's the pads are housed a lot better. I mean, it makes perfect sense that they are better, I just thought it would not be so pronounced on bikes. Cool!
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

I think getting the wheels out and back in with disc brakes would be a bit of a hassle , especially the rear , the current system seems to work well enough in my opinion . The Trigon bikes look very nice , I was checking them out a few months back . http://www.justriding.com.au/shop/item/rqc929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Nice price too :)

"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Just out of curiosity, how would disc brakes make it harder to put the wheel in? I have disc's the size of Dinner plates on my downhill bike, and Slightly smaller ones on my XC bike, changing wheels are a breeze. I know it's not a fair comparison, but I found it harder in my BMX days to change wheels with V-Brakes. This was mainly due to the wider tires however, something I guess would not be an issue on the roadies...

Your comment just sort of made me wonder Mr leisurely type.
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

I havn't changed any bicycle wheels with disc brakes so if you say it isn't any problem I'll take your word for it . I was just thinking that like a motorcyle it would require either taking the caliper off or having to try and line up the disc to go in between the pads while getting the chain on also .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Changing tyres with any sort of brakes is hard :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Just out of curiosity, how would disc brakes make it harder to put the wheel in? I have disc's the size of Dinner plates on my downhill bike, and Slightly smaller ones on my XC bike, changing wheels are a breeze. I know it's not a fair comparison, but I found it harder in my BMX days to change wheels with V-Brakes. This was mainly due to the wider tires however, something I guess would not be an issue on the roadies...

Your comment just sort of made me wonder Mr leisurely type.

for what it's worth, i find that getting a wheel back on on my mountain bike a whole pile more fiddly than on my roadie. Naturally some of that is due to experience though. I'm not really sure that a road bike with properly set up brakes and decent pad really needs a whole lot more braking force though. I could possibly understand it for Cyclocross where the need to clear the braking surface of water/mud becomes more important

to me, it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist

CLP
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Would NOT having disc brakes be beneficial weight wise? Enough to warrant the 'V' brakes?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Santaria wrote:Would NOT having disc brakes be beneficial weight wise? Enough to warrant the 'V' brakes?
possibly. there's a lot of effort put into reducing rotating mass.. adding disc brakes would add it back again. i think it would be a very special case in road racing where advantages of discs would be greater.

that being said, for a commuter bike, a nice set of hydraulic discs might be the go simply because they automatically adjust themselves.

not sure i'm about the give up the simplicity of my current brakes though :)
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Like HZ, I find disks a walk in the park.

I don't know if I do it the best way but I have never had problems with it.

Front, undo quick release- wheel comes straight out, slide wheel back in and do up the quick release.

Rear same thing, make sure it is in the small sprocket on the rear, undo quick release, wheel drops a bit unhook chain and its out. put chain on small sprocket and line up wheel hub to fame and do up the quick release.

As for cantilever/V brakes. You need to undo the brakes line to open them up then do as above. But with V styles depending on the tyres I have used in the past I have had to de flate them a bit so I could get the tyre out. Roadie much thinner wouldn't have that problem.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Boom!

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... isc-33359/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Giddee Up!