Looking for advice

CyclARSEts talk in here.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Looking for advice

Post by Fandango »

Hey guys. Me and a mate are thinking of getting into some cross country and downhill biking. Mainly a get fit and have some fun doing it type thing, and I just wanted some advice on what bikes we should look at?
I've spoken a bit to Hurtz bout it but not about what bikes to buy etc.
I really only want to be around the $1000 area but I'm not sure if it'll be enough?

Cheers peoples :)

Edit: Guess I gotta look at gear too. Any recommendations there would be appreciated too. I'd bump that figure up to allow for gear.
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Looking for advice

Post by CLP »

Fandango wrote:Hey guys. Me and a mate are thinking of getting into some cross country and downhill biking. Mainly a get fit and have some fun doing it type thing, and I just wanted some advice on what bikes we should look at?
I've spoken a bit to Hurtz bout it but not about what bikes to buy etc.
I really only want to be around the $1000 area but I'm not sure if it'll be enough?

Cheers peoples :)

Edit: Guess I gotta look at gear too. Any recommendations there would be appreciated too. I'd bump that figure up to allow for gear.
if you up your bike budget to around $1500 a lot of nicely spec'ed stuff comes into play that is good bang for buck. I think a downhill bike for that sort of money might be out of reach, assuming you want something that isn't too bad and won't fall apart on the trip down the hill. You could also try for an All Mountain bike which is a halfway house between the two. Once again though, your budget might be the limiting factor here

Cheers,
CLP
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Yeah ok thought I might be stretching it. Ok so maybe what should I look at as far as decent quality and reasonable price. (I could go to 1500 I reckon.)

A midway between cc and downhill might be the go considering I don't really plan to compete or anything, just for fun and fitness.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Looking for advice

Post by DexterPunk »

Kinda of interested to see what you go for fandango. I'm kinda looking for something similar. And prob around the 2k mark. I'm in no rush so interested to see what you go for.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

You want advice? Work a little harder and get a car :D.

/end clarksonism

Just kidding :D
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Like Carl said, look at All Mountain & Trail bikes.. the 140/120mm travel range. I fear that with the $1000 budget there is not going to be much on offer.

A 140mm travel bike should take pretty much any trail here in Aus, there aint too many trails that need any more than 180mm travel in Aus at all. Having said that, you need to consider that every step you take up in Travel means it's going to be harder to pedal up hill. So, Most XC bikes are 100mm travel, most Trail & Enduro bikes are 120/140mm, more comfortable but not as quick.

Basically though, at the $1000 budget anything dual suspension is going to be out of reach, unless you buy second hand, which is a good option providing you stick to your mountain bike club classifieds and stuff. Most of those bikes are well maintained.... but I personally like new stuff.

It's so hard to recommend an all round bike, because I can almost guarantee that when you start, one discipline will turn you on a little more than the others, and you will wish you had a more dedicated bike, so eventually you end up with 2 bikes anyway, then 3, then 4 and so on and so forth...

Maybe a longer travel hard tail with a slacker headtube to handle some downhill might be a go, and within budget. Look at the Kona 5-0 or the Norco Sasquatch. they are kind of an All mountain Hard tail thingo.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

DexterPunk wrote:Kinda of interested to see what you go for fandango. I'm kinda looking for something similar. And prob around the 2k mark. I'm in no rush so interested to see what you go for.
2k mark you have a lot more to play with. And more bargaining power. if you have 2k to spend. look at bikes around the 2500 to 3500 mark, wait for the right times and just continue to haggle, and you'll end up getting them for 2.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

I was sorta thinking that I might end up preferring to go in one direction. If I had to make a decision either way with no other choice I'd go with a downhill bike cause I reckon it'd be more fun and my mate would feel the same.
I really only want new as well. Shiny and New is all I ever bloody buy for anything. :rolleyes:

Is around $1500 mark out of reach for a downhill bike?
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

yes and no, If you want one in a hurry, then yes, if you are willing to wait and find a bargain, then no.. you should be able to get one. But, you will have shitty componentry.

everything downhill is going to start at around the 2k mark.. oh, actually, let me clarify something. You don't want a Downhill bike, you want a Freeride bike. A Downhill bike is built to race, longer wheelbase, generally more expensive, 200mm travel.. super smove ride. A Freeride bike will be 180mm travel, still plenty to handle all the big hits, still looks like a downhill bike but normally runs a single crown fork as apposed to a dual crown. has a shorter wheelbase which means it corners easier and lifts the front end up easier and is generally a lot more flickable. Good for busting out the whips. Plus like i said before, there are no trails in Aus you can't ride on less travel. Canada we are not. My bike is a freeride bike.

If you think you will love downhill, there are a few things you need to consider. Unless you organise shuttle runs, which requires someone to sit in a car for most of the day then you can expect to do a lot of walking. On average, we walk for some 25 to 30 minutes uphill pushing 20kg of bike just to roll down for about 2 minutes. On walking runs you normally only get 3 runs in on the day cos you're well stuffed. So, keep this in mind, It's not the most rewarding of sports to be honest. I find a XC run a lot more rewarding and beneficial, but the DH gives me my adrenalin kick. I had an XC bike 1st and it got me into riding, I don't quite know if the DH bike would of had the same effect had I bought that 1st.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Hz-Lab wrote:yes and no, If you want one in a hurry, then yes, if you are willing to wait and find a bargain, then no.. you should be able to get one. But, you will have shitty componentry.

everything downhill is going to start at around the 2k mark.. oh, actually, let me clarify something. You don't want a Downhill bike, you want a Freeride bike. A Downhill bike is built to race, longer wheelbase, generally more expensive, 200mm travel.. super smove ride. A Freeride bike will be 180mm travel, still plenty to handle all the big hits, still looks like a downhill bike but normally runs a single crown fork as apposed to a dual crown. has a shorter wheelbase which means it corners easier and lifts the front end up easier and is generally a lot more flickable. Good for busting out the whips. Plus like i said before, there are no trails in Aus you can't ride on less travel. Canada we are not. My bike is a freeride bike.

If you think you will love downhill, there are a few things you need to consider. Unless you organise shuttle runs, which requires someone to sit in a car for most of the day then you can expect to do a lot of walking. On average, we walk for some 25 to 30 minutes uphill pushing 20kg of bike just to roll down for about 2 minutes. On walking runs you normally only get 3 runs in on the day cos you're well stuffed. So, keep this in mind, It's not the most rewarding of sports to be honest. I find a XC run a lot more rewarding and beneficial, but the DH gives me my adrenalin kick. I had an XC bike 1st and it got me into riding, I don't quite know if the DH bike would of had the same effect had I bought that 1st.

That last point is exactly why I wouldn't go with a downhill specific bike. I've done enough off road riding years ago to know that you gotta get up these hills before you can enjoy the ride down. Id rather a bike thats suited to getting me up places, and then has enough durability to take the knocks on the way down. Last time I tried it, I blew my rear tyre and buckled the rear rim. I had to stuff it with bark and grass and shit to get the 15km or so back to camp. My mate in true Top Gear style left me there haha. Makes me think that the rear suspension is more important than the front?? I can pretty easily lift the front wheel over rocks etc, but the back wheel cops it hard.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Front suspension is far more important than rear if you want your wrists to function properly in day to day life, we don't all have fleshlights dex..lol. Primarily though, suspension is there to try and keep the tyres connected to the ground, not avoid the terrain. Your spot on with the up before down thing, it's what makes All mountain bikes attractive. Fandsy, if you are considering a downhill bike I highly suggest you get in touch with a local bike shop and find out when they are having a ride day or if there are any they know of, and go and give it a try.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I know what you mean about having fucked wrists Hz, as my old bike had no suspension at all... but in terms of not having the bike kill itself, i would have thought the rear suspension would do a lot. doing 40+ off road and seeing a big fucking rock, and lifting the front over it, to have it slam into the rear wheel is a considerable force. I'm just concerned if I went a hardtail, the same thing could happen.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

If you got time to lift the front, you got time to lift the rear, Ol Skool bunny hops FTW!!!!... Downhill bikes take the fun out of every bump..lol.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

haha was never something I was very good at... bunny hops.. but I can mono like a sick c*nt! haha
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote: Fandsy, if you are considering a downhill bike I highly suggest you get in touch with a local bike shop and find out when they are having a ride day or if there are any they know of, and go and give it a try.
for anyone in adelaide at the moment, the Australian MTB championships are on at Eagle Mountain Bike park.. and Specialized is running their "test the best" .. basically they'll let you take out any of their high end bike to test and play with.. you know, the same ones that you drool over in the shops and can only dream about owning!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I'll be there on Sat arvo for the Downhill finals. I plan to take at least one for a ride.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Gunna have to think on it a bit I think. Really want to go with downhill just for the reason you stated above... adrenaline rush. Pushing back uphill doesn't worry me too much, that'd be where the fitness comes in... but 2 grand is some decent coin.
Just wanna get out and do something physical and fun. Biking is very high on the list of what I'd be into doing. Same with my mate but he's now reconsidering due to price as well.

There's a few trails near here (Munda Biddi and Mt. Lennard) that are only 10 - 15 mins away so it's all the more appealing. :)