Your ride today, yesterday....

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Your ride today, yesterday....

Post by norbs »

[youtube] [/youtube]
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Had a brilliant ride this morning for my commute to Uni. The cooler weather is lovely to be in.

Also, today I hopped on the scales and weighed 84.5kg. Now I've lost 18kg since last Christmas Lightest I have been in 5 years.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Crowella wrote:Also, today I hopped on the scales and weighed 84.5kg. Now I've lost 18kg since last Christmas Lightest I have been in 5 years.
That's awesome Crowella, your investing in your own life insurance by staying active & losing those excess kilo's. :yes:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I didn't know where to post this or start a new thread but a friend of mine at Uni got a new bike also after seeing what riding has done to me and after requiring a replacement for running. We've both decided to enter the (half) Century Challenge at Mt Penang/Somersby next month.

http://www.centurychallenge.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're only taking the 50km route and it's only a ride not race but we're going to do it just for the hell of it and to make our new bikes worth while and put ourselves to the test.

Beautiful area around there too. If I'm feeling good afterwards I might even take the ride home from there (mostly downhill) and enjoy my Sunday for a change :)

Looking very forward to it and hopefully my commute rides and the odd fitness rides will prepare me for them. He's doing 15km a day so I will have to step that up when my bike arrives in the next few days :D\

But more on topic. Still loving the colder weather and the lights get a true test tonight.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Crowella wrote: We've both decided to enter the (half) Century Challenge at Mt Penang/Somersby next month.
fantastic! :) Nothing like setting yourself a goal to meet to kickstart your cycling! :)
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I love riding at night. Didn't have a train for an hour so I decided to ride from Uni into Newcastle just because I could. Turned out to be a lovely 8 km ride through an oddly quiet city. I took a couple of pics on my Windows phone but they turned out to be shite with the default camera settings. The new lights are damn wonderful too. I could see my headlights flash down the end of the street and in the darker areas didn't even fear the roads.

I've taken a pic of my basher bike on the train and I'm a bit concerned that large frames won't fit in the spots on the train. I'm riding a small framed bike and it just fits in the gap provided. Also concerned because assholes run back and forth and the doors hit the bike. :eyepop:

None the less, I'm very excited about tomorrow. I get my new bike after my exam. :D
norbs

Post by norbs »

This mornings ride was hard yakka. All of it was into a 20-30kph wind. And I got a flat in my brand new Conti Gator Skins. Changing a tube by the side of a country road is no fun I can tell you. And it is always the back bastard to!
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote: And I got a flat in my brand new Conti Gator Skins. Changing a tube by the side of a country road is no fun I can tell you. And it is always the back bastard to!
WTF, are you kidding me. :fall:
Do you know what caused it norbs?
Was there anything in the tyre?
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Flinty72 wrote:
norbs wrote: And I got a flat in my brand new Conti Gator Skins. Changing a tube by the side of a country road is no fun I can tell you. And it is always the back bastard to!
WTF, are you kidding me. :fall:
Do you know what caused it norbs?
Was there anything in the tyre?

I could find nothing in the tyre at all. When I looked at the old tube at work it looked like a pinch flat (2 small cuts parallel to each other) but I have no idea where that happened. It went down awfully fast to. I had done about 120kms on them, so I doubt it was from being installed incorrectly. I am a bit puzzled actually.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Yeah reason I asked is I have a suspicion that maybe your rim tape is failing?
Especially sine you've had a few flats on that new rear rim from memory...
Can you tell if the holes are on the inside or outside face of the tyre?
Dukester

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Flinty72 wrote:Yeah reason I asked is I have a suspicion that maybe your rim tape is failing?
Norbs, Is your rear rim a mavic by any chance?

*edit - If so, check if the tube is being sliced around the valve.
Last edited by CLP on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
Flinty72 wrote:Yeah reason I asked is I have a suspicion that maybe your rim tape is failing?
Is your rear rim a mavic by any chance?
oh oh. yes it is.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
CLP wrote:
Is your rear rim a mavic by any chance?
oh oh. yes it is.
ok, i edited the previous post.. but will repeat :)
check if the tube is sliced around the valve. if so, the easy fix is to get an old tube, cut a 2-3 cm length, and cut in half so you have a rectangular piece of rubber. puncture a small hole in the middle and force the valve through that small hole. Install the tube as normal.

The issue is that mavics (like my Ksyriums) can have sharp edges around the valve hole which slowly slices into the tube and then eventually liberates your air from captivity.

CLP
norbs

Post by norbs »

I wasn't near the valve, but I will take it off tonight and check that and rim tape.

Thanks lads.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

The thing to check with the rim tape other than the obvious signs of wear &/or tear is if it is able to slide around, potentially exposing any nipple (don't get excited) holes or their sharp edges. Much like CLP comments on the valve hole issue.
Which by the way way I've never experienced with my 3 sets of Mavic's. Interesting isn't it.
Dukester

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Flinty72 wrote:Which by the way way I've never experienced with my 3 sets of Mavic's. Interesting isn't it.
couple of mates have Mavics also and don't have that issue either. Looking up online though seems to indicate that it's relatively common. Not really sure what the common factor is. Perhaps tyre pressure? maybe something as simple as using the valve nut might cure it by stopping the tube moving around?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

CLP wrote:
Flinty72 wrote:Which by the way way I've never experienced with my 3 sets of Mavic's. Interesting isn't it.
couple of mates have Mavics also and don't have that issue either. Looking up online though seems to indicate that it's relatively common. Not really sure what the common factor is. Perhaps tyre pressure? maybe something as simple as using the valve nut might cure it by stopping the tube moving around?
Interesting, I have never used the valve nut on any of my wheels (or the cap) as that just adds extra weight for no gain. :rofl:

Possibly having tyres over-inflated could cause it especially if left for a long time but I doubt that's what caused it for the majority of users.
I certainly have never heard of it & many racers have been known to over-inflate. Again it is for no substantial gain so no idea why they do it.

I did experience rim tape caused punctures on my Pro-Lite wheels after about 6 months of use but once I replaced the tape with some quality Reynolds ones I've never had that trouble again. :fingers crossed:

It's great to hear others experiences on such things as it helps build knowledge & fault-finding if you happen to have similar happen. :)
Dukester

Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Got to laugh at myself for getting totally lost today getting to Uni. Twice. :no: Decided to hop off earlier than the Uni and get on my bike to save time from transferring trains. Was a bit strange navigating myself on three lane roads but still better than sitting down at a station for 20 minutes.

Might have something to try within the week off. Most likely tomorrow while it's a bit quieter around the place. 41km trek:
http://www.gosford.nsw.gov.au/cyclinggu ... _water.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Crowella wrote:Got to laugh at myself for getting totally lost today getting to Uni. Twice. :no:
sometimes getting lost is the start of an awesome ride! :D
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/i_XDn-FF-sM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It didn't upload the entire route. It auto paused when I hopped off to quickly vomit at the lights :rofl: and didn't continue from there properly. My phone does say it was 40.65km in 1:35:34 so that's roughly over 25kph average which I am more than happy about :D From that map, I continued along the main road to the Central Coast HIghway, then turned off onto Brisbane Water Drive and went down Blackwall Road home.

I felt like I was slowing down at the end but from the km times I've seen, I was keeping the pace up pretty well although I was pushing myself on a higher cadence in a lower gear at the later stages.

I feel like I am recovering quicker. I think another two of these kinds of treks this week and I'll see how much my body improves :yes:
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Nice work on the vomit. I haven't managed that one.

I've got next week off but my knee is a c**t so I won't be doing anything fun. I already feel all unfit again.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I dusted off the bike after 18 months of not using it. I just got back from a 10km (6.5mile) ride. 3/4 of the way to work and back basically.
I'm knackered! after only 40 minutes of riding.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
norbs

Post by norbs »

Big Kev wrote:I dusted off the bike after 18 months of not using it. I just got back from a 10km (6.5mile) ride. 3/4 of the way to work and back basically.

It will take a while Kev. Keep at it. :yes:
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:
Big Kev wrote:I dusted off the bike after 18 months of not using it. I just got back from a 10km (6.5mile) ride. 3/4 of the way to work and back basically.

It will take a while Kev. Keep at it. :yes:
Onya Kev. :yes:
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Seven of us 6amers headed out for a quick blast making the most of the combined Easter Monday Holiday & ANZAC Day.
The route was to the very top of Mt Dandenong where on arrival to our mandatory coffee stop we were greated with this;
Beautiful sunshine & a spectacular view of Melbourne covered in fog.
MelbFog.jpg
Garmin Ride Details: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81343560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dukester