Your ride today, yesterday....

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Your ride today, yesterday....

Post by norbs »

That looks great Darren. Once I get fit again I might have to head up and have a crack at it.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote:This is what makes me shit my pants on the MTB...
If it makes you feel any better, even after all the MTBing that i've done, I still hold my breath and hope that it turns out okay through sections like that! :D

I find that going through at a bit of an angle can help when the bar clearance is tight.

A few of the spots from the easy ride on Saturday...

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:
CLP wrote:
norbs wrote:This is what makes me shit my pants on the MTB...
If it makes you feel any better, even after all the MTBing that i've done, I still hold my breath and hope that it turns out okay through sections like that! :D

I find that going through at a bit of an angle can help when the bar clearance is tight.
Im impressed people haven't ridden a B-Line around obstacles like this.
One of my local trails has had the first k ruined by every obstacle having a B-Line 'created' in the quest for Strava times. Its impossible to fix as there is no trees or bushes to keep them honest. Fun drops into various berms have a huge wide line created so you can hook thru the berm even faster by increasing its entry radius...

norbs wrote:A few of the spots from the easy ride on Saturday...

That looks like a lot of fun mate. Just the kinda trail I like riding along for a nice stroll thru nature.

Just a guess here by the camera shake, but were you seated thru the rocky sections? One thing I learnt with the dropper post/seat was to get the seat out of the way (drop it whilst your still seated but not ontop of the rocky section just yet) then stand or be in a slight attack position thru the obstacle. Saves your bum but it also gives you a lot more balance on the bike and you can react to the rock a bit easier.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
norbs

Post by norbs »

KNAPPO wrote:
That looks like a lot of fun mate. Just the kinda trail I like riding along for a nice stroll thru nature.

Just a guess here by the camera shake, but were you seated thru the rocky sections? One thing I learnt with the dropper post/seat was to get the seat out of the way (drop it whilst your still seated but not ontop of the rocky section just yet) then stand or be in a slight attack position thru the obstacle. Saves your bum but it also gives you a lot more balance on the bike and you can react to the rock a bit easier.

Yep, normally I would have been out of the saddle, but I was beat. MTB is really knocking this soft roadie around.
norbs

Post by norbs »

FFS. Cant remember the last ride this didnt happen.

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

It's good to have a rest every now and again ;)
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Don't worry Norbster. I had a World Champion tell me "If you ain't having the odd stack, you aint going fast enough"

This assumes you're going fast cause if not you're just shit... :)
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

tried something a little different last night. Motor Pace training! :)
basically a paceline sitting behind a motorbike/scooter with sprints at regular intervals for those so inclined for about 2 hours. Managed about 54km in the time i was there, and picked up a set of tired legs for my troubles. Good value for $5 :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/2812915812

also, I managed to complete my target for the year of 10,000km during the week! :D i figure i can just put my feet up now ;)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Another day, another big stack. Well 2 on this ride. One slow speed one where I just fell over when a stick stuck in my rear mech.

Another big one on a 300mm drop off when I caught a tree root before it and the wheel went over sideways. Tore the Garmin off the mount, looks to have totalled the GoPro 7 Hero and smashed my elbow and shoulder up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2822959277

photo of my elbow on Strava.

When does the fun stop?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: Tore the Garmin off the mount, looks to have totalled the GoPro 7 Hero and smashed my elbow and shoulder up.
No point doing things in half measures i guess :aussie:
markus

Post by markus »

I tore my calf muscle by washing my car this Saturday so now I'm just doing super easy indoor rides for couple of weeks and waiting for my 4 TSS rides to appear in Strava Wankers :(
Much cycling such kilometers.
norbs

Post by norbs »

markus wrote:I tore my calf muscle by washing my car this Saturday so now I'm just doing super easy indoor rides for couple of weeks and waiting for my 4 TSS rides to appear in Strava Wankers :(
Ouch!

Well this will give you an idea of how unfit I am currently.

Not based on power obviously. But I get the feeling I am just going to break everything on the MTB, so no power meter.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

norbs wrote:When does the fun stop?
I haven't been back to my local bush because I kept coming off every time I rode there. Including twice otb on my old bike in July. Riding a few different bike parks has helped my confidence a lot, though I still avoid some of the tricky bits and go full pads. Felt good to get through Old Mans Valley unscathed after coming off on nearly every ride before then.

I've just swapped my tyres to Pirelli scorpions in the hope of getting more grip. The Maxxis forekasters that came on the bike slipped around a lot which wasn't helping with the confidence.

I'm looking at doing Andersons and the Oaks trail in the blue mountains next. Train up to Wentworth Falls and ride back down to Glenbrook via fire trails. Was going to ride in Barrington tops on Saturday but it was 35, high winds and bush fires all round so I put it on the back burner.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

If you are not fussed with fast rolling tyres ive found Maxxis DHF and DHR (F=front R=rear) have been the best combo for me.
They are quite blocky, work well on semi fine gravel, fire roads and sharp rocky stuff. Great in the wet as well.

I usually fork out a bit of extra coin and get the 3C (triple compound) for the front tyre for aded confidence. I dont mind the rear moving around a bit and find my fronts always last longer so go the softer compound up front.

Need to make time for the bike, life has been mental this year and could do with the stroll thru nature to clear the mind.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I used to be riding on Schwalbe Rocket Rons. They seemed to work well for me. relatively fast rolling, and a mid-height block. Similarly, V runs on Schwalbe Nobby Nic which is a bit chunkier. I think that gives her a bit more confidence on some of the looser stuff.

more recently I've switched to Michelin Force XC. I think they're very similar to the Rocket Rons and maybe a bit cheaper :)
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

norbs wrote:When does the fun stop?

CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Last ride for the year had a bit of everything.

Cruise up Norton Summit with a stop to "help" the local wildlife. I actually suspect that the koalas up that way are cottoning on to the fact that passing cyclists are an easy source of water. FYI, their claws are frickin' sharp! :eyepop: I have scratches all over my arm now :melt:
GOPR2247_0800.jpg
GOPR2248_0800.jpg
GOPR2249_0800.jpg
A planned stop at a new cafe was thwarted by them not being open, so we turned back around. Quick coffee at the Scenic hotel at Norton Summit before heading towards a cafe just off Linear Park for breakfast/lunch. Then we saw a fox :) and then at the cafe we saw Rohan Dennis in his Ineos kit about to head off for a ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2969248179

And with that (unless I become motivated to jump on the trainer later :shake: ) i reckon my 2019 cycling account is closed. 12,619 km total, with 86,096 m of climbing. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Milestone ride for me yesterday. my 100th (Strava) attempt of Norton Summit! Nothing to write home about time-wise, but i'm pretty pleased to have got there! :) As er're approaching Tour Down Under time of year, there were a bunch of pro riders out and about heading into the hills amongst the mass of recreational riders. We're also starting to see a few visitors to Adelaide riding about exploring the hills and generally enjoying things.. awesome to see :vibes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3003120003
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Rode out to the WTDU stage with a few mates this morning... They send their regards Norbs ;)
https://www.strava.com/activities/3020576182
GOPR2272_0800.jpg
GOPR2273_0800.jpg
GOPR2274_0800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

So, the TDU is now over :( It was a massive week for me though :) 459km total!

I managed to ride every day out to some point on the course for the TDU. Weather has been generally not too bad while I've been out, mainly dry, though quite breezy at times. Certainly different to last years scorcher!

Given the fires all around the place in Australia, the crowds were pretty decently sized on course. I had been expecting a massive drop in numbers as people (much like our fearless leader) stayed home to deal with their much more immediate threat(s).

12 months until the next TDU! :D

A few of photos:
GOPR2353_0800.jpg
GOPR2406_0800.jpg
GOPR2544_0800.jpg
GOPR2577_0800.jpg
norbs

Post by norbs »

I couldnt watch it due to the fact I was pissed off I wasnt there.

Did watch the last 20kms of Wilunga. That didnt help :)

Hutchy, do a time up Norton?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:I couldnt watch it due to the fact I was pissed off I wasnt there.

You had way more important things on your plate. Hopefully next year. :)
norbs wrote: Hutchy, do a time up Norton?
Assuming i strava-stalked Hutchy and his mates correctly, I think Hutchy preferred to do a 90-odd km "indoor trainer ride" rather than ride with his mates up Norton Summit. yay Wahoo! :aussie:

He did manage a pretty ripper time up Anstey Hill however :o
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
norbs wrote:I couldnt watch it due to the fact I was pissed off I wasnt there.

You had way more important things on your plate. Hopefully next year. :)
norbs wrote: Hutchy, do a time up Norton?
Assuming i strava-stalked Hutchy and his mates correctly, I think Hutchy preferred to do a 90-odd km "indoor trainer ride" rather than ride with his mates up Norton Summit. yay Wahoo! :aussie:

He did manage a pretty ripper time up Anstey Hill however :o

So my take away from that is I am faster up Norton than Hutchy! Nice. :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: So my take away from that is I am faster up Norton than Hutchy! Nice. :D
I think that's the only logical conclusion :aussie:
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Milestone ride for me this morning. 100,000km logged on Strava.
I had to push myself out the door for this one, as i didn't want to clock over this achievement on the trainer. :aussie:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3474509041
20200519_083848_0800.jpg