Your ride today, yesterday....

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Your ride today, yesterday....

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:The Gong ride is a cluster fuck. Last time I did it I saw people off the road everywhere.

I dont discourage anyone from doing it, once.
LOL Norbs :)
I looked at the Gong ride web site. looks pretty good, and pretty scenic, at least to the untrained eye. :) Though i'm a bit surprised at the number of rest stops in place! (about every 10km?).

I reckon the best organised ride for me was Ride Like Crazy. Probably helps that it didn't tend to get either the massive numbers of riders, nor the wanna-be racer types, and was run by the SA Police.

I've seen people going off on pretty much all the rides i've been on. Lots of crazy shit riding :eyepop:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I did my last Gong ride in the 90s.

We had a group from Telecom/Telstra that did it and we raised a fuck ton of money. Then they bought in a rule that you had to raise $200/person. As well as pay a big fee for the ride. I questioned it and one of the idiots that runs it pretty much said "we have plenty of people doing it, if you dont, we arent worried".

I got an apology from the MS people, but I never did it again after that. Just too many people, and on dangerous roads.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

So this happened today :)
goal.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Well done Carl!

That's impressive.
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

Well done Carlos. This your biggest year?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:Well done Carlos. This your biggest year?
not just yet .. but looking to be.
not quite sure why the total is a bit higher here. *suspect* that it's counting stationary trainer rides.. <shrugs>
goal_time_series.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Not sure where to put this..
I have had an interesting couple of days! I went for a ride with some friends on Sunday and got a super aggressive driver try to ram me into the kerb. :rolleyes:

managed to get the lot on video however and (after a false start on Monday) got a traffic complaint taken by the Police last night :) additional bonus.. when i looked up the registration plate online it came back as unregistered.. I made a point of mentioning that to the officer :D

not sure how this will go, but hopeful that this douche will cop it on the chin and I won't end up needing to go to court.
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

I gave this commuter thing a go this morning.

It was horrible!
Now I have to ride home at the end of the day up Dry Creek.

Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Part of a long running saga...

one of our outdoor velodromes, monumentally screwed up by the local council, then under threat of demolition due to a lack of use (you know, because they screwed it up!) is hopefully coming to a close. Hanson Reserve Velodrome has been completely redone and revamped, and is nearing completion.

As one of the host clubs, PACC members were invited to test the track to help identify and iron out any issues (eg, bad section joins, unevenness) before the final top coating goes on. Yesterday was our second chance to test it, with workers having worked on a few issues we previously identified.

So under an incredibly epic backdrop we rode the track in it's unfinished state. For those that have ridden this one before, you can see the excitement in their eyes about the return of this iconic track.. So it's looking pretty exciting :)

We were lucky during our test though.. on the ride from the velodrome to work.. epic rain .. :o
GOPR0753_0800.jpg
GOPR0761_0800.jpg
GOPR0762_0800.jpg
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Ride out to Stirling for Stage 3 of the Womens TDU.

Great day for it, though a little breezy to begin with. Basically just up the Old Freeway, so within easy reach :)
Being so close by, it seemed wrong not to stop off at Uraidla for a pie on the way back :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/2072269902
GOPR0824_0800.jpg
GOPR0835_0800.jpg
GOPR0837_0800.jpg
norbs

Post by norbs »

Fuck ya! :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Couple of TDU related rides from the past 2 days :)

On Tuesday I rolled up Anstey hill to get to the loop that the riders would do 3 times. Really crazy hot. 45 or so degrees out on the road.
Found a different spot for each of their laps to take a few photos from; some more shaded and cooler (it's all relative though..)

after their last lap i head back home via a different route than i arrived and managed to see the peloton a 4th time... and picked up a Mitchelton Scott bidon! :D score!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2079412824

Today (Wednesday) I headed up Gorge Road with half a plan in my head; though there were a few options that i could take depending on how i felt. Decided to go the fun but maybe stupid and painful option and climb Checker Hill to watch the race there. Weather was a fairly hot and humid, but there was the occasional breeze which made things bearable. I had the GoPro running on the climb up Checker Hill, so i might post that later so you can see what I chose to suffer through :P

https://www.strava.com/activities/2081808377
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Todays ride out to the TDU stage was a bit of a struggle at times. Still very hot in Adelaide, and in some of the places we were riding it was sheltered enough that there was no breeze, so it was also quite humid. Struggling a little with an annoying creak on the bike too which doesn't help with keeping focused!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2084135400
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

As promised.. Checker Hill! :D maybe turn the sound down if you don't want ~5 minutes of me huffing and puffing and wheezing :P Things start getting stupid steep with around 600m to go.
According to Strava, it looks like Norbs hasn't done this climb yet.. Next time you're in Adelaide Mr Norbs! :D

KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

This hill is easy..... in a car.

Top work for getting up there on the bike mate.
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:This hill is easy..... in a car.

Top work for getting up there on the bike mate.
:D

based on what i was seeing, it's not always easy in a car either! ;)
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:As promised.. Checker Hill! :D maybe turn the sound down if you don't want ~5 minutes of me huffing and puffing and wheezing :P Things start getting stupid steep with around 600m to go.
According to Strava, it looks like Norbs hasn't done this climb yet.. Next time you're in Adelaide Mr Norbs! :D

Been there a couple of time I reckon. Not keen to ride it.

I am still recovering from Corkscrew, 3 years later :nod:
norbs

Post by norbs »

You really need to overlay the stats using VIRB edit Carl :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:
Been there a couple of time I reckon. Not keen to ride it.

I am still recovering from Corkscrew, 3 years later :nod:
LOL.. Corkscrew wasn't *that* bad! :D Surely the trauma has faded by now! :P
norbs wrote:You really need to overlay the stats using VIRB edit Carl :)
stay tuned. I'll see if i can do that. minor hitch is that the time wasn't set on the GoPro, so i'll have to try to sync it all up :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:You really need to overlay the stats using VIRB edit Carl :)
here you go :)

norbs

Post by norbs »

Perfect. Pretty much what I saw on Strava.

You need a 32 on the back :)
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote: You need a 32 on the back :)
or stronger legs :P that'd certainly help :D
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Final day at the TDU taking place at Willunga, so i made the pilgrimage there :)

Absolutely perfect conditions for the ride there, with heaps of other riders out doing the same thing :)
Surprisingly, I managed a PB heading up the first climb (Windy Point). Good start to the day :)

Once i got to McLaren Vale, I couldn't help but have a bit of a spin up Old Willunga Hill. Nothing to right home about timewise, but it was a really enjoyable atmosphere.
Easy cruise across the range, before plummeting down Penneys Hill to the site of our BBQ lunch :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/2090422751
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Outback Odyssey is fast approaching! So we decided to do a bit of a test ride away from our well worn routes on Saturday.

We drove out to Tanunda with our 29ers with a plan to do the Mawson trail out to Kapunda, then head back via a series of gravel and dirt roads that i had mapped out. The hope here was that we'd be able to identify any major issues that we might have when the real event starts in about 4 weeks.

Weather was mostly good, save for some strong head and cross winds at one point. The bikes were good, and the bodies got back intact, albeit fairly sore and super dusty. But we learned a few things, so it's better to find them out now rather than on our 900km tour

Probably some info out of this:
1) reduce the tyre pressure. We had it way too high. getting some shock absorption on a hard tail is going to be pretty important
2) go easy. It's not a race. :P
3) I probably need to concentrate on sitting up, rather than crouching over the bar. I reckon this is contributing to lower back pain
4) our bikes are mostly spot on. i might give my saddle position a slight tweak and maybe invest in some touring grips.
5) i might finally have set up my Garmin to conserve enough battery to last the entire day. (and as of today, have bought a mini power bank to bring along on the ride)
6) while Google street view maps may give a good indication of terrain and road conditions, they can't convey the putrid stench of a section of road... I think we found a road where *all* the local animals go to die :/ Fortunately we won't be doing this bit on the Outback Odyssey.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2233022444
20190323_130646_0800.jpg
GOPR1572_0800.jpg
GOPR1575_0800.jpg
GOPR1582_0800.jpg
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I wouldn't normally post about a commute, but I will this time.

Last night V and I were cruising home via Linear Park; nothing unusual about that really. Until we came across a couple on the side of the path. A second look and we noticed they were attending to a guy they found on the ground unresponsive. They were already on the phone to emergency services, who then directed them to start chest compressions. V took over after a while on the compressions while I was trying to direct people around the scene, and then later to head out from the path to get the attention of the arriving ambulance. Paramedics took over and it looked like he was stabilised and breathing.

Scary shit as there seemed to be the very real chance that this guy in front of us could die, or at least it seemed that way. :( Ambulance guys and girls were outstanding. it was amazing watching them work so calmly under the pressure.

Look out for each other while you're out there people. :)