Your ride today, yesterday....

CyclARSEts talk in here.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Re: Your ride today, yesterday....

Post by CLP »

I went full nerd and tested stuff out this evening.. because data. :D

This was prompted by a few rides on the trainer/Zwift that just didn't feel right, including a workout session and also my attempt on Alp du Zwift. I could maintain ~220 Watts on the road in a time trial, and yet on the trainer I was *really* struggling to get to 150 watts. So i was curious as to what the trainer was reporting as power vs what my vectors were measuring

Since my TT bike had the Vectors already attached it seemed convenient to start with my old Tacx bushido trainer. Given the age of this bit of equipment, I was quite impressed with this one. Admittedly I didn't think to do any sprint efforts or anything, but by the time i had started my short session I had already had my fair share of Tacx-rage.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1505513936
vector_vs_tacx_0800.jpg
Next I switched my Vectors to my Giant and tested the Kickr Snap. Fairly interesting result, and pretty much explains why I was getting nowhere recently on Zwift. The Kickr was massively under reporting power compared to the measured power from the Vectors. And it got linearly worse with an increase in power. So the more power I was putting out, the bigger the discrepancy.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1505761305
vector_vs_kickr_pre_adv_spindown_0800.jpg
Third test was done after an advanced spin down. I'd done one of these when i originally got the Kickr and never since as it's recommended that you only do it once. But as had been discussed with Norbs previously, the Android implementation may have been broken. In the meanwhile, they've well and truly hidden the advanced spin down option from the updated android app interface. But i found it.

This one was a bit eye opening. with the power reported by the Kickr now being pretty much spot on with the measured power from the Vectors :yes:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1505806036
vector_vs_kickr_post_adv_spindown_0800.jpg
really happy with that outcome! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Do you do a normal spindown before each ride Carl?

You had the opposite happening to you than one of the locals who was pretty happy punching out 340W for 90 minutes :)

Barry on the other hand does a spindown before every rider and his numbers are good now.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

yep, Generally do 5- 10 minutes of warm up, before doing a spin down.

If you cast your mind back a while, I did a similar test just after I got my Vectors and the plot looked a bit like this:
Vec_Snap_power_0800.jpg
which, while not perfect, was ok for just cruising around on Zwift. So i was happy enough to work with that, in the knowledge that i wouldn't capture the peak power if wasn't running the power meter at the time. For some reason it's deviated away from that quite a bit. The advanced spin down has fixed that, even better than it was previously; So i suspect they've fixed up their app, plus there's been a firmware update in the meanwhile too.

Would love to grab a better trainer (likely a Direto), but I probably don't use it enough.. plus I want to build up a new CX bike :D <sigh> Too many toys :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Last few days have been pretty good on the bike. :D

V and I signed up for a MTB skills session on ANZAC day, sort of in prep for the BikeSA Dirty Weekend. Overall, it was pretty good; I probably didn't learn a whole heap, but i think the environment gave me a bit more confidence to take on a few trail features that i wouldn't normally ride. So that counts as a win. So with that, after the training Miss V and I rode on for a bit longer and tried to put a few things into practice. I finally nailed a line over the some rocky outcrops that had been bugging me for years .. winning! :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/1530365295
GOPR0469_crop_0800.jpg
Thursday we headed back to Fox for some Dirty Weekend recon. The course had been announced and while much of it was the same as previous years, some of it was unfamiliar to us. So we did a lap :) We tacked on a couple of extra bits at the end, because yay MTB! ;)
Fairly relaxed pace, and we came away feeling pretty good in general about getting through the event mostly unscathed :) I think for us now it's more about logistics.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1532336163
GOPR0475_0800.jpg

Today i headed out on my own for a bit of a spin on Pinny. Rough plan to head up Norton Summit and back. Despite a relatively measured pace initially, I managed my 3rd best Norton Summit time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1534193781

While i'm not feeling at my peak, i'm feeling so much improved than say 12-18 months ago. I reckon that's highlighted in my top 10 Norton Summit times. All bar one are from 2017-2018. Insane. :o
My_Norton_top_10.JPG
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Just got the chrome plugin StravistiX for Strava.
http://thomaschampagne.github.io/stravi ... wnloadPage

Complete datagasm!!!
Life is hard...but, life is harder when you're dumb.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

KNAPPO wrote:Just got the chrome plugin StravistiX for Strava.

Complete datagasm!!!
Ah funny I just got told about this yesterday & mentioned to norbs if he had seen it.
I have no clue what it all means yet either... :rolleyes:
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Duke wrote:

Complete datagasm!!!
Ah funny I just got told about this yesterday & mentioned to norbs if he had seen it.
I've been using it for quite a while now.. I was *sure* I mentioned it on here.. but I can't find the post :(
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

Duke wrote:I have no clue what it all means yet either... :rolleyes:
I really like the extra data it places in the segments whilst on the Strava site.
ie: time difference to the KOM, difference to your PB without having to click around and work it out.

The fitness trend graph in their site and the cumulative graphs comparing years of activities are great.
Im sitting at 596kms up on my running totals from last year and 305km up on my riding totals (which includes virtual rides) as ive changed my tact and saving the kms on the squishy bike for more fun rides.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

KNAPPO wrote:
Duke wrote:I have no clue what it all means yet either... :rolleyes:
I really like the extra data it places in the segments whilst on the Strava site.
ie: time difference to the KOM, difference to your PB without having to click around and work it out.

The fitness trend graph in their site and the cumulative graphs comparing years of activities are great.
Im sitting at 596kms up on my running totals from last year and 305km up on my riding totals (which includes virtual rides) as ive changed my tact and saving the kms on the squishy bike for more fun rides.
Oh,.. speaking of riding and running.. I hope you've entered this:
http://www.foxmtbduathlon.com.au/

:D
KNAPPO
Master artist
Master artist

Post by KNAPPO »

CLP wrote:Oh,.. speaking of riding and running.. I hope you've entered this:
http://www.foxmtbduathlon.com.au/

:D
Its on the same day as the Adelaide Half Marathon that I have already entered. :rage:
Might do it next year. My aim for this year was 4 half marathons: the triple crown and Adelaide so it'll have to wait.
norbs

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:
Duke wrote:

Complete datagasm!!!
I've been using it for quite a while now.. I was *sure* I mentioned it on here.. but I can't find the post :(

I am sure we beta tested it. Well I think I might have.

It is very good, but a time waster. I get sucked into it and then look up and have been looking at stats for 2 hours

The best thing, it hides the challenges that every fucker joins.
markus

Post by markus »

Did Zwift London flat + Surrey Hills, only in real life: https://www.strava.com/activities/1551152512 - the Hills are really beautiful and much harder in real life :D

Rental company (Livelo) tried their best to sabotage my ride with cancelling on the day they were supposed to be delivering, but luckily Onyourbike had one bike left. Bit scary to ride on the wrong side of the road, but managed not to be killed.
Much cycling such kilometers.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I saw this on Strava. Will go into the data dive later :)
markus

Post by markus »

norbs wrote:I saw this on Strava. Will go into the data dive later :)
Cadence is bogus, watts are ’estimated’ and heart rate monitor had serious issues...
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

I just got back from this.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1552400086

now everything hurts.
markus

Post by markus »

CLP wrote:I just got back from this.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1552400086

now everything hurts.
That looks. Painful.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

returned to Alpe du Zwift last night, this time using a power meter rather than using the trainer to work out power. So much better when the power is a true reflection of my effort! :) Still not sure I'll do that course too frequently.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1643466071
norbs

Post by norbs »

That hurts. 24 mins quicker than me!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:That hurts. 24 mins quicker than me!
47 minutes faster than my previous time :P

Looking at the comparison plot, i assume you stopped a couple of times? that would account for nearly 10 minutes...
Capture_AdZ.PNG
I seem to remember a screenshot that showed your zwift settings, specifically the trainer difficulty setting. I wonder whether this has a bit to do with things? I know the zwift default is 50% while yours looked to be something like 75% (?) Me on the other hand, I have it set to something along the lines of 45%. So that lets me spin a bit more easily (logic being is that my knees don't fare well with massive trainer resistance). I still have to put out the power, but i'm not fighting the trainer as much on each pedal stroke.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Had my first ride on the Elite Drivo yesterday. For the most part, I think I'm pretty impressed.

Zwift was running Richmond, which was pretty packed, but i managed to get in a decent 1/2 hour or so session. No fan running, I don't think i wanted to go too much longer!

Initial issue had me fuming a bit. My TT bike simply wouldn't fit. The drop outs were too small. Now, I've had this issue before on my CX bike, where a wheel was a super tight fit. I think it's due to the paint being too thick :/ So a bit of light filing and all was happy. On a side note, the Drivo looks great with my TT bike mounted on it :)

Zwift session was pretty reasonable, doing a few sprints and apparently picking up a few PRs along the way. PRs are possibly by virtue of not riding the Richmond course that often. Trainer felt pretty smooth. The TT bike for whatever reason it's the quietest bike on earth, so any potential quietness of the trainer was overshadowed.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1654598860

Then i went full nerd. I was running my ANT+ logger during the ride, so I could compare the power reported :) yay data! On the whole, it looks like it did pretty well. There appears to be a 1 second lag, which could be a simple case of the reporting/recording frequency. rather than any actual error. Larger sized plots are included in the strava link for those that want to data dive a bit more. :) Despite what has been reported around the place, apparently you *can* calibrate these trainers, so maybe there is the potential to improve the results a bit more (?) or completely screw it up ..
Drivo_vs_Vector_power_01_0800.jpg
Drivo_vs_Vector_power_02_0800.jpg
Drivo_vs_Vector_power_03_0800.jpg
Drivo_vs_Vector_power_04_0800.jpg
norbs

Post by norbs »

I am trying to remember where I read it, but my gut says do not try and calibrate it :)

It is 1% error anyway isnt it? I doubt it will get much better. And the lag will be the the way the 2 things record data.

Nice one carlos. We might have to organise another Zwift session soon.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

norbs wrote:I am trying to remember where I read it, but my gut says do not try and calibrate it :)

It is 1% error anyway isnt it? I doubt it will get much better. And the lag will be the the way the 2 things record data.

Nice one carlos. We might have to organise another Zwift session soon.
On the Elite support forums, they recommend to calibrate regularly, which seems to go against all the info that i've read elsewhere. I may try.. i may not. I'll probably do some more comparison plots at some point. Norbs, have you done any comparisons against your power meter(s) and the Neo? would be an interesting test. :)

1% error is certainly the claim, though it'd be pretty hard to determine that with the equipment I have here. I just did a power difference plot (with and without the 1 second lag). The difference fairly regularly falls outside the "correct" error band.. even accounting for the claimed +/-2% error in the vector pedals.

Does it matter though? probably not :) It looks like they're fairly consistent right out of the box, the power peaks and troughs seem about right compared to the Vectors, and IMHO, the ride feel seems much nicer than the Kickr Snap.

Maybe this will keep me motivated to stay on the trainer longer, especially with State CX champs coming up! :D

More ARSE Zwift should certainly happen :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

Interesting that you say it feels much better. I was the same when I went from the Snap to the Kickr. And then there was another level up when I got the Neo. The Neo is buttery smooth, and from all reports, the Drivo is similar.

I did do some tests with the PowerTap C1 power meter and the Kickr. And i did the same with the Neo and the C1.

I havent tried the Neo and the new power meter, who's name I can never remember. Means swapping pedals and i cant be bothered right now. Everyone says the Neo is bang on, so that is good enough for me.

The new pedal power meter is great. The pedal efficiency measurement is interesting. If I concentrate I can get to about 60-70% efficiency. If I am just riding along it is about 20-30%. It is one reason I might put them on the trainer to try and help me get more efficient.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Had another go on the new trainer last night.

Just to show how much i'd been paying attention to Zwift.... I had no idea about the Leith Hill climb. I selected a course thinking that i'd be heading up Box Hill in the late stage of the ride.. didn't i get a surprise?! :P

https://www.strava.com/activities/1656772617

As before, I ran a logger to compare Vectors and Drivo. As before, the story is pretty much the same. Generally ~1 second lag in the reported power from the Drivo, follows the Vector power curve pretty nicely and everything seems to line up nicely. :yes:

I won't keep boring you all with plots after this :) this is from the steep uphill out of the subway tunnel at the end of the ride. Pretty decent power tracking I reckon.
Drivo_Vs_Vector_power_05.jpg
norbs

Post by norbs »

Are you using the DC Rainmaker plotter thing or just dumping into Excell from GPX files?